Sign in to follow this  
vame679

FMC freezes during flights

Hi everybody. 

I have a problem with the FMC of my 737-800ngx sp1d for FSX. Sometimes, during the flight, my fmc freezes all in a sudden. No possibilities to recover it, no button responds. I have read many forums, trying to find a solution for this issue. Apparently no real solutions. Now i'm used to plan the entire flight, putting in the fmc all the information it needs to complete a flight (SID, STAR, TL, speeds...). But it is a real problem when you, for example, want to fly online with ivao and the controller gives you a certain waypoint to go directly. 

I know many people have the same problem, hoping to find a real and concrete solution. Thank you. 

Welcome to the forum. Please note that the forum rules here require you to include your full name - first and last - in your posts.

Sometimes, during the flight, my fmc freezes all in a sudden.

Can you give us steps to reproduce what you're seeing, please?

Kyle Rodgers

When everything seems to work normally, i can't operate on my fmc. Usually this problem arises between the take off and the reaching of cruising altitude phases. During the flight I am on the legs page, where the next waypoints, speeds and altitudes are shown. Suddenly the speeds and altitudes disappear, only the names of waypoints remain. From this moment on, the fmc stops responding to all my commands, no button works, no way to intervene on it, it's frozen. 

This video, made by another person, shows exactly what happens to me:

(unfortunately the solution suggested by a user to disconnect and reconnect the standby power doesn't work at all)

Thank you again.

Valerio Messina

Are you attempting to enter winds when the freeze happens? I believe it is a known issue that the FMC will freeze if you enter winds before having selected a STAR. Even if your particular freeze isn't caused by entering winds, do you have an active STAR when the freeze happens. If not, try entering a STAR before departure and check whether it happens again. If it doesn't, your problem may be related to the known issue.

Keep in mind that this is all wild speculation on my part. Good luck in finding a solution.

Walter Meier

No I don't attempt to enter winds (already read sth about this issue, unfortunately it is not my case). I select everything before departure in order not to have problems during the flight but it's the same, this freezing happens. I don't know what to do in order to solve this problem. I hope somebody can be helpful.

Valerio Messina 

No I don't attempt to enter winds (already read sth about this issue, unfortunately it is not my case). I select everything before departure in order not to have problems during the flight but it's the same, this freezing happens. I don't know what to do in order to solve this problem. I hope somebody can be helpful.

Your video shows the result of the issue. Your post here explains the result of the issue. What I had requested earlier is the steps to reproduce the issue. Without that, we're essentially dead in the water.

Think of it like this. Say you're a mechanic and someone calls you on the phone and says "my car won't start - can you fix it?" Well, maybe, but you need information. What lead up to the car not working is pretty important:

• The battery could be dead
  • The starter could be dead
  • The fuel tank might be empty
  • The engine could be damaged from abuse
  • The engine could be missing...and so on.

If someone says "well, when I got in the car this morning, I noticed that my headlight switch was still set to ON." From there, you, as a mechanic, know what general direction you need to go in: your first check will be the charge on the battery.

I fully understand what you're seeing. What I need to know is what you're doing that is causing this to happen.

Kyle Rodgers

If I would have known the issue that causes this problem everything would have been easier, i know that. Unfortunately I don't know the causes that lead to this problem. I think I do not do anything wrong during the preflight and flight phases and I don't see anything weird until that "fatal" moment. Also using FS2Crew the problem arises. So now, I don't know what to explain, I follow normal standard procedures. The strangest thing is that this problem does not occur in every flight I do(even if I perform the same flight, sometimes it happens, sometimes not), so I can't say what's wrong. 

Tell me if you want some more explanation. 

Thank you.

Valerio Messina

Tell me if you want some more explanation. 

The only thing I can say is that you should try to pay very close attention to what you're doing in upcoming flights. If you run into the issue, post the steps you took up to the point it froze.

Kyle Rodgers

Same thing is happening to me. During climb ,even if I don't touch anything. Turn Standby Power OFF and ON. FMC will start working again. Gombocz Avar