Sign in to follow this  
bus320

Fsx SE or P3D?

Guys,

I need your advice! I just purchased a Samsung SSD Evo Pro 512 GB specifically for windows 7 and for flightsim, however I'm really confused which Sim i am going to install. I am in between FSX SE and P3D V3.1. Now my specs are Sandy Bridge I7 2600K 3.4 Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX OC 2GB DDR5.

My question is which of the 2 flight simulators are stable? I know FSX would be much easier for addons etc, however with regards to P3D IF i should buy it what is the difference between P3D and FSX? Is it more stable then FSX? and if yes what is the difference between the Academic and Professional lisence?

Thanks

Justin 

Biggest difference (in my opinion) is price!

Both platforms are stable. FSX-SE has had a recompile and several bug fixes from the original version. Many have reported better performance and better memory management as well. However ultimately it is the same product as FSX-MS. Other than bug fixes, no new features are going to be added. Most add ons for original FSX work, and most developers provide a dual installer at no additional cost to get older add ons working - almost all new add ons come with dual installers anyway.

P3D on the other hand is evolving all the time; it already has built in HDR lighting, utilizes DX11, has better multi-core and multi-GPU support and better memory management to name just a few big new features. It is working its way to becoming a 64 bit product, however it isn't yet. Again, most FSX add ons work, however a few developers provide P3D versions of add ons as a separate product, meaning you have to purchase again. Other developers provide dual installers, like with the Steam edition of FSX.

As to which P3D license, both give you access to the same product and features, however the Academic license includes a watermark in the top right hand corner of the screen which is always visible. Have a read of the licensing page on the P3D website to decide which version you qualify for.

Personally, I would go with FSX-SE. It's cheaper (significantly), and at the moment particularly with the DX10 fixer installed and DX10 mode enabled, I don't see any draw for me to spend loads of money and switch to P3D. Maybe when we know more about Dovetail's new Flight Simulator later in the year (or next, who knows!) then I might try and decide which route to take. For now, FSX does all I want a flight sim to do, and I have too much money and time invested in it to start again with a new sim. Until such time as a major add on comes out which is for P3D only, which so far to my knowledge there aren't any, then I don't see a need to switch.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Dear Tom,

Thank you for this valuable information. After evaluating well i'll go for FSX-SE as as you said it's much cheaper and most of the addons are available too. Now one last question, Windows 7 pro 64bit or Win 10 64 bit? also When you have said that FSX SE has DX10 fixer installed and DX10 mode enabled, does that mean that when i purchase FSX SE would be already with the package, or it is a seperate application.

Thanks

Justin 

Hi Justin,

I am running Windows 10 64 bit, and am quite happy with it. I don't see any reason not to upgrade to the latest OS, especially since from Windows 7 it is a free upgrade. To my knowledge FSX-SE is fully compatible, and I am even running FSX-MS the original version on it and that is perfectly fine too.

Sorry, no the DX10 Fixer is not included with FSX-SE. It is a separate product, however I highly recommend it. It will fix all the issues which are apparent in the DX10 Preview mode built into FSX, and give you cockpit shadows which look in my eyes as good as P3D.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Apart from a very small watermark, that I did not notice until I was told about it, no difference at all.

Yes, there is a price difference, but, FSX:SE is a modded version of a 10 year old program.

P3D is now on v3.1, about 10 updates/upgrades since it was released.

The features, as displayed on the Prepar3d site explains what has been done to it.

See it as a completely new sim & not an update of FSX. That way you will not be dissapointed when some FSX add-ons will not work.

My thoughts on the rumoured Dovetail release... Dovetail are experts in Train & Fishing sims, where their products are marketed through the largest gaming distributor & gaming audience out there. To monetize their product, they target the gamers out there, simmers are a very small part of that. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Dear Tom,

Ok thank you so I will have a go for Win 10 x64 :) Can you tell me from where I can purchase this product for DX10.

Thanks a lot :)

Justin

Well you have already made your decision and probably your purchase but I'll add my opinion anyway. The argument that FSX SE is far cheaper is a bit of a red herring for someone starting out. Here is why. Granted P3D can cost you up $200 for the normal user and I paid $5 FSX SE. So a huge difference. However, if you look at the most popular aircraft addons they do not come with duel installers. So if you buy say the PMDG NGX, 777 and 747 V2 when its released for FSX, that is going to cost you the best part of $250. Lets take another example A2A 172, Cherokee, Comanche and 182. That's about another $200+. Granted this as far as I can tell only applies to Addon Aircraft and the developers are all at it now. They all have seperate purchases for the two platforms. Granted if you are years into investing in FSX I can understand the reluctance to switch to P3D but if you are just starting out you would be crazy to invest in this dead platform. At some point you will want to switch and if you have already bought the above mentioned addons and more for FSX you are going to have to purchase them all over again for P3D with no brake on the price.

Bottom line if you are already heavily invested in FSX then there is cause for pause. However, if you are just getting started and have nothing significant invested in addon software Prepar3D V3.x is the sensible choice. Even if you have already bought FSX SE and you don't already have the 10 or so must have addon airplanes for it yet, then forget about FSX and get Prepar3D V3 :smile:

Thank you donor! I appreciate your comments :) it's just becuase i'm not sure if my Specs will be able to handle P3D, as I am not ready to fly with medium graphics and having to deal with low quality sim :(

My specs are I7 2600K 3.4 Ghz, Evga GTX 770 2 GB, 16 Gb ram, PSU 750 Watts, Samsung EVO Pro 512 GB, Most probably will do Win 10x64 bit.

rgds

Justin 

My suggestion to you it to buy P3D V3 and install it and FSX SE and install that too.

Once you have both installed (don't install them on the system Drive or in a files named program files) see if you can set them both up with comparable setting. You might need to get some advise on that here.

Bench mark both of them and see which one runs better on your machine. If your not convinced that P3D V3 is the better choice notwithstanding the the advise above then you can return it for a full refund within 60 days. If you Prefer P3D over over FSXSE then keep it and cut you losses on FSX.

The main point is that P3D V3 is a program you can try for free because LM will give you a full refund within 60 days of purchase if you are not satisfied for any reason.

Compared side by side, they look very similar. Except one has hyperspace rain and runs about 1/2 the frame rate of the other in cloudy conditions.

pWBBPXw.png

IDdYR6D.png

• Upvote 1

Compared side by side, they look very similar. Except one has hyperspace rain and runs about 1/2 the frame rate of the other in cloudy conditions.

I'll show my ignorance here and ask which is which?