Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

ASN SP4 makes P3D stutters after 15-20 min of usage.

Hello,

Just got my i7-6700k build ready, installed P3Dv3.1 and stuff (100% fresh install with clean registry) and found out one very unpleasant thing - even with high FPS, the sim starts to stutter after 15-20 minutes of ASN usage. It happens all the time regardless of clouds' coverage meaning that it happens even with CAVOK clouds. Exiting and restarting ASN in-flight solves the problem with stuttering fully for another 15-20 min and that is implying that ASN is the one and only culprit of the stuttering. 

1. My system is i7-6700k (stock freq for now)/980Ti-6GB/16GB DDD4/2TB Samsung EVO SSD/Win7-64.

2. Norton Anitvirus is present, but was turned-off during ASN installation and it's normally turned off during P3D sessions (both AV and Smart Firewall)

3. Other add-ones are REX4TD, UTX Series, GEP3D, a bunch of payware aiports, PMDG and other regulars. 

4, Monitor resolution is 1920, P3D resolution is 1024. I don't use autogen as I'm 100% IFR flyer with heavy-mental birds.

5. FSAA - off, MSAA = 4x, AA=16, Vsync = OFF, NVI limiter = 30 externally

What i have done so far.

1. Changed clouds textures to 512 - no luck,

2. Turned off automatic ASN updates - no luck

3. Opened the ticket with HI-Fi and send them logs, cfg/dll/exe files. No response so far.

4. Checked videocard temperatures' reads = 80C is a max in heavy density clouds. Normal = 70C

Thus, the help of the community would be much appreciated.

I don't think you're alone, I also have a new 6700k (OC'd 4.8GHz) with a 780ti and all seemed fine until installing the latest ASN and updating the P3D 3.1 content few days ago.  It's certainly stressing the 780ti, even under conservative settings, medium cloud density, no fog, no shadows, Ive tried resolutions of 1080p and DSR 1.5x.  I'm seeing temps rise quickly to around 80C which causes the card to throttle down and that's when the stuttering occurs.  I've never seen this occur in the past.

I run into serious troubles if I use the F-35, the GPU temps increase rapidly after only a few minutes, I get white texture loading on water, water textures loading on the ground and then all sorts of random textures (this is with orbx global).  If I switch to another jet, F-22 for example, all returns to normal.

I spent approx 2hrs last night troubleshooting and found that turning off HDR brought temps down ~70-73C and fps stable at 30fps.  It seems like I'm sacrificing too much with a good CPU OC and fairly powerful GPU and I can't say I'm very pleased at the moment.

I'm very close to the edge on buying a ZOTAC 980ti amp extreme but am considering holding off until Pascal is released hopefully later this year.  Patience is not my virtue.

Brian Riggs

PPL 2001

Brian,

80C for modern video-cards is new normal - there is nothing wrong with that. 

FWIW, I've flown for hours in bad weather using ASN and have not experienced this issue. ASN may be the item that pushed the limit but something else is going on with your setup. Start removing addons and see if you can nail down the culprit. Do you have anything that is "phoning home" every 20 minutes or so or another process that is set to run.

You say no answer on the HiFi ticket - do you mean they haven't responded yet or haven't found the solution yet? If the former - you might resubmit the ticket JIC.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

his sounds similar to me still fault finding. GPU load has gone soaring since 3.1 on a GTX 970 . Not sure of the reason but my machine is now being killed in bad weather.

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

I run 970's in SLI and I've noticed no difference in usage from 3.0 to 3.1. Under certain heavy cloud cover, it can go up to 100% on both but it did that on 3.0. Normal usage is between 30% - 50% for me.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Limiting the frames to 30fps brings down the load . Testing on that has some downsides for me with heavies like pdmg and heavy airport.

• Upvote 1

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

Turn on HT and set ASN to core 0

See SteveW

I had this issue in dense clouds now its smooth than before (but only took me 2 weeks to find the sweet spot)

Vernon Howells

FWIW, I've flown for hours in bad weather using ASN and have not experienced this issue. ASN may be the item that pushed the limit but something else is going on with your setup. Start removing addons and see if you can nail down the culprit. Do you have anything that is "phoning home" every 20 minutes or so or another process that is set to run.

You say no answer on the HiFi ticket - do you mean they haven't responded yet or haven't found the solution yet? If the former - you might resubmit the ticket JIC.

Vic

Vic,

1. Yes, they're still looking at the files that I have submitted to them

2. I will try to fly without ASN completely and see if I run into the same behavior. 

3. I have pretty much medium P3D settings except for Scenery Complexity. However I'm sacrificing on both types of autogen which are both to the extreme left. I still use 1024 resolution as I'm not planning to push the envelope before OC that I'm planning for this weekend.

Very, very strange. 

Turn on HT and set ASN to core 0

See SteveW

I had this issue in dense clouds now its smooth than before (but only took me 2 weeks to find the sweet spot)

Vernon,

1. How to set ASN to core 0. Appeciate your advice.

2. Will enabling  HT prevent me from efficient OC in the future?

Thank you in advance 

With Hyper Threading on you wont be able to achieve as high of an overclcock vs HT off, actually you may but at WAAYY higher voltages and obviously way higher temps. 

Turning HT on just to solve ASN stuttering issue from an update they made seems like a big request from the user. I believe it was aid that P3D runs better with HT off anyways. He plans to overclock as well, I don't know about you but I would rather have my 4 physical cores at a higher clock that the sim can use, then HT and a lesser OC. 

I have my 6700K at 4.80Ghz 24/7 and stable, HT off and temps are great! (I am using a H110i however)

I almost updated my ASN until I saw postings creep up mentioning the stuttering. ASN works fine for what I use it for negative update so I think I will stay where I am at.

I also noticed stutters after updating to the official ASN SP4. I reverted to the previous ASN build and the stutters are gone.

Tony

I also noticed stutters after updating to the official ASN SP4. I reverted to the previous ASN build and the stutters are gone.

Tony

I wish I could do the same, but previous builds are no longer accessible.

I was unable to achieve stable OC @4.8GHz with HT on with 6700K.  No issues with stability or temps with HT off.  Also isn't there a VAS usage issue with HT on?

Brian Riggs

PPL 2001

I was unable to achieve stable OC @4.8GHz with HT on with 6700K.  No issues with stability or temps with HT off.  Also isn't there a VAS usage issue with HT on?

Just to let you know that without the proper affinity mask the sim will max out across the chip overheating it. Turning HT off merely halves the problem.

...and the incorrect mask will mean consume double VAS with HT enabled, again, merely halving the problem by turning off HT. There will be some heat increase with HT on as it does more work switching threads more efficiently.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com