Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

Few Questions about XPX

Hello pilots, I am new to XPX and I have a few questions about this great flight sim.

1.  What is the proper way and where to install new aircraft and scenery in order for it to work within XPX ?

2. I am using Trackir 5 with XPX an someone said that I may won't to use X-camera in the future. How does it work with Trackir and how do you set it up?

3. What is the best weather for me to set up with XPX and how do I install and set up?

4. What about AI air traffic ?  Is there a good program for that ?

Thanks so much

Regards

Lamar Wright

Welcome to XPX

1.  Download your aircraft and unzip the downloaded file.  Copy that unzipped file and open your XPX folder and then the aircraft folder and paste the copied file into the appropriate folder - ie - General Aviation, Heavy Metal, etc.  Some advanced aircraft are a little more involved, but that will be explained in a DOC folder within that aircraft's downloaded folder.

2.  You have apparently figured out how to use TrackIR in XPX.  When using X-Camera (free download), you uncheck the (use TrackIR) section in the settings folder within XPX and use the features in X-Camera (there are video tutorials on the Stick and Rudder Studios website).  Here, you can set your own camera positions and then look around with TrackIR from that point.  You can also disable that individual camera's TrackIR function so that you can concentrate on an adjustment without the moving around and losing the adjustment point.  This is done without disabling TrackIR in the other camera views so you don't have to go back and forth to enable/disable TrackIR.  There are many other functions within X-Camera that will give you a lot of flexibility.  No, I am not selling X-Camera.

3.  Until you learn the way XPX handles, you might want to go into the weather settings and turn off wind at all levels (3) and gradually add them back (or use real world weather) as you begin to understand the handling characteristics.

4.  AI -  There's a lot of talk about managing AI, and a lot of criticism about XPX and it's AI.  I don't use it.  I have never seen AI in any simulator which seemed realistic to me and I don't need the framerate hit (if applicable).  You'll have to ask someone else about that one.

John

John Wingold

Welcome to XPX

1.  Download your aircraft and unzip the downloaded file.  Copy that unzipped file and open your XPX folder and then the aircraft folder and paste the copied file into the appropriate folder - ie - General Aviation, Heavy Metal, etc.  Some advanced aircraft are a little more involved, but that will be explained in a DOC folder within that aircraft's downloaded folder.

2.  You have apparently figured out how to use TrackIR in XPX.  When using X-Camera (free download), you uncheck the (use TrackIR) section in the settings folder within XPX and use the features in X-Camera (there are video tutorials on the Stick and Rudder Studios website).  Here, you can set your own camera positions and then look around with TrackIR from that point.  You can also disable that individual camera's TrackIR function so that you can concentrate on an adjustment without the moving around and losing the adjustment point.  This is done without disabling TrackIR in the other camera views so you don't have to go back and forth to enable/disable TrackIR.  There are many other functions within X-Camera that will give you a lot of flexibility.  No, I am not selling X-Camera.

3.  Until you learn the way XPX handles, you might want to go into the weather settings and turn off wind at all levels (3) and gradually add them back (or use real world weather) as you begin to understand the handling characteristics.

4.  AI -  There's a lot of talk about managing AI, and a lot of criticism about XPX and it's AI.  I don't use it.  I have never seen AI in any simulator which seemed realistic to me and I don't need the framerate hit (if applicable).  You'll have to ask someone else about that one.

John

Thanks so much John, you have explained enough to get me started in the right direction on each subject. Good flying and have fun.

Regards

Lamar Wright

1. As John said, just copy the aircraft to a folder in the aircraft folder (you can create new ones too... eg. one called payware).

Most scenery packages are similar, just drop them into your custom scenery folder. Some need you to modify the scenery_packs.ini (found in your custom scenery folder). I would make sure t read this. Finally, read the authors installation instructions to make sure their isn't anything else you have to do.

2. Answered 

3. I use the freeware NOAA weather plugin, but am also keeping an eye on FSGRW and waiting to see what HiFi have planned.

4. I use the World Traffic plugin. It requires some work to set up, but it works well.

• Upvote 1

I would recommend working on one thing at a time and getting that functioning properly before you move on.  Trying to install and set up multiple additions can cause real problems and make troubleshooting a nightmare.  Go slow and make sure one foot is firmly planted before taking another step.

1. As John said, just copy the aircraft to a folder in the aircraft folder (you can create new ones too... eg. one called payware).

Most scenery packages are similar, just drop them into your custom scenery folder. Some need you to modify the scenery_packs.ini (found in your custom scenery folder). I would make sure t read this. Finally, read the authors installation instructions to make sure their isn't anything else you have to do.

2. Answered 

3. I use the freeware NOAA weather plugin, but am also keeping an eye on FSGRW and waiting to see what HiFi have planned.

4. I use the World Traffic plugin. It requires some work to set up, but it works well.

Thanks Jon for the help and the NOAA plugin also instructions on proper order for addons.

I would recommend working on one thing at a time and getting that functioning properly before you move on.  Trying to install and set up multiple additions can cause real problems and make troubleshooting a nightmare.  Go slow and make sure one foot is firmly planted before taking another step.

Hi mdavis, and thanks for your recommendation. I plan to take your advice and go slow and easy and learn one thing at a time. Not going to add a bunch of addons before I know what I am doing. Again, great advice.

Regards

Lamar Wright