Sign in to follow this  
kenz

Can this config be improved ?

hello folks,

want to start simming again (P3D, PMDG737, ASN, IVAO)

my budget is 1250€ and I already own the case and the power supply (550W), what do you think of this config :

369 Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0Ghz
370 MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC
117 ASUS Z97-P
55 G.Skill Ares Blue Series 8 Go (2 x 4 Go) DDR3 2400 MHz CL11
50 Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120 Go
155 Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 480 Go
83 Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 6Gb/s 2 To
0 Boitier
0 Alim 550
34 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
10 thermal grease

I don't really know how to choose trademarks for mobo, ram etc.. do you think the is room to optimisation on this config ?

thanks !

Kenz

I would suggest getting a slightly more powerful PSU. You might be pushing it with the current PSU and the GTX970.

But I'm sure the hardware gurus here will put you right.

Don't know where you got that piece about the Kinsgton SSD. I've read some very good reviews on it.

Not long ago somebody posted a link to a website that ran wattage consumption test after you had inputted all the relevant data and came up with what minimum PSU you should be looking at, but I cannot remember when that post was made. If I find it, I'll link to it.

That's the link. Well do9ne locating it.

And that's what I too would go for, just to give you that bit more headroom. Also, Corsair make excellent PSUs. My personal favourite is BeQuiet!, but currently use an Antec TruePower 650W as at the time it won heaps of awards

The Asus is a very good reliable brand of MB. I personally use the Z-87-A, but my CPU is not the same as yours. Hopefully, somebody here can advise you on that choice.

I can see the logic of making a savings towards the 600W PSU. I'd be thinking the same too. Perhaps you can do a Google search and see what MB would pair optimally, with your CPU. Your choice of CPU is the same as my i5-4670K, which is a Socket LGA 1150, so the Asus-Z-87-A should take it. But that is your choice, entirely.

If your 550W PSU is a good quality PSU, I would keep it.

550/600W is no real difference..

Definitely do not downgrade the motherboard.. Stay with the Z97 chipset!  The cheaper motherboard is for "everyday productivity"... not what you want.

Bert

It's à corsair vx550w, wich i think is good quality ? And also i don't think i will do OC.

That should work just fine

I'm kind of in a dilema right know, i wonder if i should better go with i5-4690k/gtx960 so i can save 200€ to spend on sceneries ans addons. I'm really wondering, will i have to lower the settings so much with i5 instead of i7 ?

It all depends on how much money you want to spend..

The 4690K/GTX960 will do a good job... 4790K/GTX970 will give you more horsepower, your call.

Bert

Like Bert said, your call. 'You pays your money you takes your choice'