Sign in to follow this  
Dasm

FSX Freezes (hangs) Mid-flight.

Have you checked all of your drivers to make sure they are up-to-date?  I recommend Driver Booster.  It's free.  You just reinstalled Windows and I can almost guarantee you have tons of drivers out of date as Windows does not update most of them.  Your HDD/SSD controllers are very important.

First flight and I got a freeze shortly after takeoff, and 2 of my CPU cores were pegged at 100% this time and the others were lower, around 15%- Further research is required.

What was the scenario?  ASN heavy weather?, in/around Chicago?, PMDG 777?  Sounds like you are playing with Affinity Mask - Ugh! 

So, how come you are not posting an AppCrashView or a report from your Event Viewer as suggested in Post#4?  From the AVSIM CTD Guide (and from the pinned topic above):

AppCrashView (click to download) - when you get a CTD, a Windows Error Report (WER) is generated by Windows.  This report is not very detailed and Microsoft did not make it easy for you to find or interpret the report.  AppCrashView interprets the Microsoft WER reports and provides more details. If you post a CTD in the AVSIM CTD Forum, you should copy and paste the latest crash report in your topic or post.  Along with this, include your system specifications (if not already included in your profile).

Check the Windows 7/8 Event Viewer – The Windows Event Viewer can provide a wealth of information regarding your CTD or information about your crash that may not have been recorded in a Windows Error Report.  Plus there could be other problems being reported that need to be fixed that could be causing your application crashes. You can get to your Windows Event Viewer by clicking on the Start Button and, in the Search box, type Event and then look up in the Menu and click on Event Viewer or use the guidance at the following link - Opening Windows 7 Event Viewer. Windows 8 users should follow the guidance at the following link: Opening Windows 8 Event ViewerOnce the event viewer is open, click on Custom Views and then Administrative Events (this provides all events from all Sources).

The Summary of Administrative Events will show you the various types of “Events”.  Critical (which should be fixed as soon as possible), Error, and sometimes Warning Events are what you should be interested in.  Administrative Events will show you everything that happened to your computer each time you turned it on and while it was running from the day you installed your Windows OS. 

If you are using any tweaks in your FSX.cfg, then that is most likely the problem.  Do not use tweaks (other than change LOD_Radius to 6.5 and Texture_Max_Load to 2048 or 4096).  Make sure you have the HighMemFix=1 fix in the Graphics section as stated in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

As I stated earlier, I am using no .cfg tweaks except HIGHMEMFIX=1 and no weather or graphics mods. I checked all of my drivers, and all of my temperatures are nominal. The scenario of the freezes (freezes, not crashes, no event viewer logs are available). In flight, at cruise, just watching the scenery go by. I do have an update though-

I was running unlimited framerates and I was receiving 70-100 frames per second, I set Nvidia nspector to limit framerate to 30 and I haven't had any of these freezes since- I will keep updating, especially if I experience more of the freezing.  

EDIT- Nope, still a freeze

EDIT EDIT- Downloaded Driver Booster, and there are some extremely old IDE and SATA drivers present, will update and hope for the best.

I updated the drivers.. apparently it wasn't Realtek drivers that my motherboard used but something called VIA- ANY ways, long story short, I've flown several medium haul missions and until now have had no more long freezes except something weird, getting short pauses when I or AI talks to ATC, but I'm sure that has to do with editvoicepack.

SO to be clear, my issue seems to have cleared up after updating ALL of my drivers with the Driverbooster application

I have my fingers crossed.  Updating the hardware drivers has fixed freezes/ctd's for many.  I would suspect this is even more important as individuals update to Windows 10 which require drivers for that OS.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Absolutely no problems after updating drivers, its is very possible that I was thinking realtek drivers, but the driver program I downloaded indicated and updated drivers for "VIA". Consider the problem resolved.

I am posting this for the sake of anyone who uses WizMouse (GREAT program), so they might not have to go through what I have, BUT, if you read through, it has to be more than WizMouse on other systems.

My issues were a bit unique in that the sim did not CTD.  What DID happen is that when I would click on a menu option, the menu option would open, but although you could click on things and the buttons would light up and respond as normal, NOTHING happened.  Beyond that, the only way to kill the sim and get out of that window was to call up the task manager with ctrl+alt+delete and force it to close.  So, I could fly for as long as I wanted, no problems, but as soon as I wanted to do things like open up the map, save flights, switch aircraft/airports, etc., the sim froze. HUGE BUMMER.  

I spent the last 9 months not being able to have a normal experience with my simulator and it has driven me nuts! I have researched so many things and have done everything from repairing my OS (win7 x64, notorious for this kind of thing), to uninstalling and reinstalling (more than 10 times) in different locations, with various tweaks, on and on and on.  

So I had some time this week and decided to try again...and again...and FINALLY zeroed in on WizMouse.  I disable it and there it was, problem free!!  Now the problem here is that I also installed FSX on my laptop that is also win7 X64 AND also has WizMouse installed.  The sim did not freeze on me there, so...??  Clearly there are more variables than FSX, windows 7 x64 and WizMouse.  What they might be, I have no idea, but I wanted to post my experience because in my research over the last year, I have read SO many variables where things like the UIautomationcore.dll replacement and installation outside of Program files x64 had no positive results.  I hope this helps someone because this stuff happens enough to where anyone like me who has banged their heads against the wall for almost 9 months, with many hundreds of dollars of software installed, not being able to enjoy it to its fullest...yeah.  

On 1/15/2016 at 4:31 PM, charliearon said:

I am still new here and not sure what I did, but this is Avalon quoting and commenting:  Thank you Charliearon for posting this because it helped me to narrow down what I was able to find as the issue.  I am paying it back as best I can.  

Have you checked in your Windows Event Viewer for Errors?  Possibly Faulting Modules that may point to

I just responded at length about my solution that had to do with WizMouse but thank you for this because it helped me to eliminate things and whittle it down to the culprit.  I kept running it and no errors arose.  

something more definite?

Edited by Avalon
My comment was missing after posting

On 1/15/2016 at 10:40 PM, Dasm said:

I'm in the process of running tests- I'm suspecting UT2 so I'm testing a flight with it turned off. I rolled back my Nvidia driver and that didn't help with the freezes, but OHHH MY GOD! I got a %500 (not exaggerated) increase in performance- seriously, no .cfg tweak has ever worked as well as this older video driver has. 

Thanks for this post.  This also helped me narrow things down very heavily.