Sign in to follow this  
cliffardus

"FS Build" OR "Flight Commander?"

My priorities in a Flight Planner are:

1.  That it can create Flight Plans with the ability to select and include the optimal SID and STAR in an easy manner.

2.  That easily exports the final Plan into the FMC of the PMDG 777

I have course read reviews of both "FS Build" and "Flight Commander" but would be really interested too learn more from Members.

Cliff Harris

Cliff, depends on type of routes you want to build. If you are doing short haul 737 I think either will do but my experience was with FSBuild and I never loved it.  However, PFPX is now my only planner because of all of it's features and ability to use the same navigation data source as PMDG.  SIDSTARS are easy to assess and pick and there is a wealth of ETOPS and Redispatch planning ability not available in freeware. Good investment, especially for B77L route planning.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

PFPX is now my only planner because of all of it's features

I am with Dan. Consider PFPX too, Cliff.

Check some videos and reviews.

I have used it since it's out and wouldn't look back.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

I agree with Dan. I know that it is not one of your alternative but PFPX is definitely the one to go.

Otherwise, I used (or attempted to use) both of them a couple of years ago but as far as I remember, I have never been able to understand and use FSbuild  not even a little. It leaves me the memory that it was unintuitive and unnecessary complicated.
Fscommander on the contrary was very simple to use but I cannot remember whether it allowed to select the proper SID and STAR.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

fsbuild is pretty decent... i used it for many years, personally i think it is very straightforward it is actually the simplest of the planners i've tried..it can also use updated navigraph data ..

but..like everyone else above, i have switched to mainly using PFPX. it's interface is much more elegant and also has support for stuff like ETOPS etc, which if you are planning 777 routes makes it pretty much the ideal option.. plus the topcat integration is nice. haven't tried fscommander so i can't comment on that one.

cheers

-andy crosby

Simbrief now includes a flight planner (currently beta but it works well so far for me). Worth evaluating as it's free.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I have course read reviews of both "FS Build" and "Flight Commander" but would be really interested too learn more from Members.
I have never used FS Build or Flight Commander so I can't comment on these two planners. However, I am very satisfied with PFPX. You might want to look at Simbrief which I believe is good and the big bonus is it's free.

I have FlightSim Commander v9.5, as well as the latest PFPX. FSC does create FPs with SIDs and STARSs, and does export to MSFS, PMDG(but not the 737NGX). Nevertheless, my preference, like others here, is for the PFPX even though I do not see it generating SIDs and STARs, or have not figured if it does so, and how it does so.

Another vote for PFPX here. Not had it that long but once you get to grips with it it makes flight planning really easy. Grab it along with TOPCAT and it takes care of all your performance calculations too, fuel to load, correct speeds, correct engine derate parameters, everything in one. Obviously for this to be 100% accurate you need a weather program as well like ASN.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Wow! An almost unanimous vote for PFPX....

I'm convinced. And I thank you all for your helpful input.

Enjoy your weekends. 

Cliff Harris (In Spain|)

Enjoy o sol in Espana as it's snowing here!!!(can't quite get the inflection above the Espana).

Same to you.