Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Intel's upcoming "Kaby Lake" and AMD's upcoming "Bristol Ridge" will only be supported on Windows 10

Not sure what this means, but Microsoft today announced that they're really, really desperate to get people to move to Windows 10: http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-clarifies-support-for-silicon-innovations-enterprises-and-the-best-windows-10-experience

See the original post on their blog here: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/15/windows-10-embracing-silicon-innovation/

According to them, Windows 7 and even 8.1 are too old to even fully support and take advantage of Skylake. In addition, Skylake apparently won't be supported past July 17, 2017 on W7 or W8.1 systems.

Your thoughts?

I actually just upgraded my system from a 3770K to a 6700K but installed Windows 7 64bit. Of course I keep seeing the Get Windows 10 icon on my toolbar every day and I really have no opposition against Windows 10. I just want to make sure my FSX/P3D/DCS and all that comes with it will work properly before doing so.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

They can send you updates, and you do not have the option of not installing them in Win10.

Bert

Why do they want everyone on Windows 10

Revenue wise Win 10 is just a conduit to the Win App store where you can spend, spend, spend.

Also their close monitoring of user activity leaves the user a fat target for targeting marketing.

Not knocking the OS itself, I use it myself.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Sounds like Intel and AMD decided to do away with some of the ancient instruction sets (finally, one might add). This will break compatibility with every binary relying on them, and the software would have to be at least recompiled, at worst rewritten. Can't see MS doing that for obsolete OSs.

Guess this has to happen at some point, can't cling to x86 forever (30 years certainly feels like it though).

LORBY-SI

Just to say... you can configure W10 not to install updates. Even more options in W10 Pro.

Microsoft want everyone on 10, so they don't have to support outdated OS's, thus saving them dosh. It's all part of their new vision. No new OS version, just one continuously evolving platform