Sign in to follow this  
Juliet_oscar

Dual graphics cards

Hello everyone

I am new here and although not new to flight sims never joined any community .

I am looking to build a kit from scratch . Using Prepar3d as the software with a skylake processor, ssd 250 gb, 16gb of ram not sure about which version of windows yet . Would there be any frame rate benefit in using 2 video cards. My brother has 2 spare sapphire 7950 3gb gddr5 he said I can have them.

Looking forward to many years of flying .

Hello Juliet, Welcome to the Avsim Forums.   My own personal preference is,  to use 1 powerful Graphics card instead of 2.  Loads of folks use 2 though and benefit from it in heavy weather Ad On's and so on.     I prefer good old windows 7,  But lots use all 3 Operating systems and have no problems.  

Get a 980ti. That should give you nice performance and less fiddling around than a SLI setup. Concerning Windows: I would also go for Windows 7. Windows 10 seems to bring more problems than benefits (actually I don't see any advantage in using Win 10 on a flight sim PC).

• Upvote 1

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Sort of depends on your budget.  If you have a spare Windows 7 license from an old PC, then might as well use it.  But I would probably go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10 immediately since you'll probably want to do that anyway before the free upgrade offer expires in July. I'm still using Windows 7, but I do plan on taking advantage of the free upgrade offer at some point.

You'd save a lot of money by using your brother's video cards instead of buying a new top of the line card.  Yes, 2 video cards will be better than one, but may be a little more trouble to set up and use.

You will Probably use the Operating System That comes With Your Computer - other wise - Win 7 64 bit - NOT WIN 8 !!- the Most - Fastest - Ram You can Afford - or are Allowed - the ram on the ("NVIDIA") Video card is as important as to which card - (2 - 4gb's) - or Up - the Speed of the Processor is Critical - You will Probably want 4ghz or faster - the Speed of the Processor is DIRECTLY Related to FPS in the Sim !! - And at Least an 8 Cup Coffee Maker - From these Meager Beginnings - You can start to Build Your Cockpit and Hire a Stewardess - Good Luck !! - Johnman B)

Would there be any frame rate benefit in using 2 video cards. My brother has 2 spare sapphire 7950 3gb gddr5 he said I can have them.

Looking forward to many years of flying .

Definitely not if you are thinking of running these two cards in Crossfire mode. P3D does not support Crossfire.

For multiple monitors, yes two could be better than one.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.