Sign in to follow this  
Egbert Drenth

Trigger to advance to After Start Checklist?

Hi,

I'm experiencing a small issue.

The active checklist/action in the overhead console does not automatically advances to 'After Start Checklist', I always have to select that one manually after the engines have been started.

Probably I miss a trigger, but I don't know which.

I always start the engines myself, including the announcements "Starting one/two".

After the engines have been started I contact ground and have the external power unit disconnected. Normally there is no pushback.

What is the trigger to let the checklist/action advance to 'After Start'?

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

You need to complete the "Engine Start Checklist below the line".

The trigger is "clear on 2" (the response for the "Engine" challenge) to switch modes to After Start.

I know it sounds odd, but you actually start the engines with the mode saying "After Start."

Cheers,

Oki, thanks.

One more question about contacting the ground crew, specifically the phrases:

"WE ARE READY FOR ENGINE START"
"YOU ARE CLEARED TO DISCONNECT AND GO TO HAND SIGNALS"

The manual is not very precise when these phrases are said/used if no-pushback required.

Is it:

- "COCKPIT TO GROUND", <response from ground>, "WE ARE READY FOR ENGINE START, YOU ARE CLEARED TO DISCONNECT AND GO TO HAND SIGNALS"

- Captain starts engine

or 

- "COCKPIT TO GROUND", <response from ground>, "WE ARE READY FOR ENGINE START"

- "COCKPIT TO GROUND", <response from ground>,"YOU ARE CLEARED TO DISCONNECT AND GO TO HAND SIGNALS"

- Captain starts engine

or

- "COCKPIT TO GROUND", <response from ground>, "WE ARE READY FOR ENGINE START"

- Captain starts engine

- "COCKPIT TO GROUND", <response from ground>,"YOU ARE CLEARED TO DISCONNECT AND GO TO HAND SIGNALS"

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Those phrases are optional and are not required to be used.

Ready for engine start: just prior to engine start.

Disconnect:  I'd have to double check with Brandon, our consultant.

With most turbo props you use hand signals, so I would use the Video Marshaller if desired.

Hi,

I am also wondering about the engine start and ground crew interaction.

First, I do not understand the differences between With pushback and Without Pushback.

In my case APU is on, I request pushback from GSX. How should I start the engine? Can I use FS2CREW during pushback? If I want my FO to start, how do I trigger the engine start and what step should be displayed on FS2crew panel? Can I have the FO to start the engine whenever I want?

If not using pushback, how should I interact with ground crew to simulate a realistic engine start procedure?

Great product by the way, it is a big step up in realism ! Thank you

Best regards,

Pierre

PS : Bonus question : What is the action to execute when : Landing Gear Doors-> Pull Release / Close

Hi Pierre,

Glad you like it!

Not sure about the last question.

If not using Pushback, you can use the Video Marshaller.  In those cases, they're usually using Hand Signals.

Yes, you can have the FO start the Engines.  The exact command is printed in the Tutorial in the manual in the Engine Start section.

http://www.support.fs2crew.com/help/manuals/#pageid=flows4

Hi Bryan,

I managed to find time to try a full flight yesterday.

And I had the same problem as Egbert. The fact is that I was not able to conclude the Engine Start Checklist, and as a result I may not be able to ask my FO to start the engine. So I switch manually to After Start step in CP and of course if worked.

Could you please confirm the "engine" challenge required to conclude the Engine Start Checklist? Because I think the FO said "Clear on two", so I said "Clear on One" but nothing happened.

Is it :

FO : Clear on two  -> Me : Clear on two (I repeat to confirm) ?

or

FO : Clear on two (his side) -> Clear on one (my side) ?

Also, I was able to start engines during GSX pushback but got a problem with stuck Condition Levers when I wanted to move them to Max after push (It may be a conflict with GSX...) I could not click and move them. It would have help to have a command such as "Select props Max" the same way we have "Select props 900" or "Select props 850". That would be great to have that in the next update^^ Also, just to confirm, is that Capt/PF responsability to push CL to MAX after start or is it in a flow for the FO?

Best regards,

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

The trigger is "Clear on Two".

Condition levers are part of the FO's Before Takeoff flow, which is triggered when you call for the Before Takeoff checklist to the Line.

Please check the Tutorial:

http://www.support.fs2crew.com/help/manuals/#pageid=flows4

Cheers,

Thank you for your answer,

I managed to end the checklist with "Clear on two"

Regarding the CLs, it seems it is Cpt job to put them to MAX right after start ( Generators come online only out of Start Feather, so we need them to max for taxi). I think the FO will just check if they are Max in Before Takeoff Ckecklist but do not put them to MAX.

I also confirm that I have difficuties to move the CLs after I made the FO start the engine (I tried without GSX). I had to click on them a few dozens of time for them to move to max. I will try to start them by myself to confirm this behavior.

Also, I find the "Flaps zero, IAS one eighty five, climb checklist to the line" very difficult to pronounce in a straight way (well for me and my french accent, I think it is IAS which is difficult. I tend to say "Yass"). Is there a simplier way to trigger the after takeoff flow?

Pierre

Is it :

FO : Clear on two  -> Me : Clear on two (I repeat to confirm) ?

or

FO : Clear on two (his side) -> Clear on one (my side) ?

Ahhh, that's my mistake as well.

I thought the FO checked his side and the captain his side (Clear on one)

But apparently the captain confirms 'Clear on two'