Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[16JAN16] The Things They Carry... 747-400 Info

Great update, lets hope the 747v2 is released soon. AF just retired their 747s.

Random question: IIRC the 747 has a landing gear lever latch that 'clicks' and retracts when the aircraft is airborne, will it be in the 747v2?

This is really... odd, hahah...

Pretty cool. If you guys are going this deep into 747 customizations, I'm even afraid of thinking in the number of options we're going to see in the CDU menus... :ph34r:

What a fantastic surprise! One question though, in the rare event this capability is used the dead-heading engine is typically required to be fitted with a plastic protector sleeve over the nose cowl. As this isn't present in the W.I.P screenshots, is it something that will materialize before release? Obviously I would never expect anyone to model such details seeing as you've gone far beyond the call of duty just adding this feature.

Jordi Blumberg

What a fantastic surprise! One question though, in the rare event this capability is used the dead-heading engine is typically required to be fitted with a plastic protector sleeve over the nose cowl. As this isn't present in the W.I.P screenshots, is it something that will materialize before release? Obviously I would never expect anyone to model such details seeing as you've gone far beyond the call of duty just adding this feature.

Source on that?  Here's a Qantas flight from 2011 actually arriving and it looks just like what we've got modeled. 

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

What an awesome feature! It's always a weird and rare sight to see the queen with the 5th pod attached and even so in flight sim. Can't wait to go haul som engines around when it's released!

Source on that?  Here's a Qantas flight from 2011 actually arriving and it looks just like what we've got modeled. 

Maybe he's thinking about the cover they put over the nacelle, as can be seen in these pictures:

0289429.jpgQantas747-438VH-OJN6.jpg

Disregard if you've already got this covered (bad pun intended)  :P

Lian,

Great update, lets hope the 747v2 is released soon. AF just retired their 747s.

Random question: IIRC the 747 has a landing gear lever latch that 'clicks' and retracts when the aircraft is airborne, will it be in the 747v2?

Okay- I'll bite.  Since you want to play "are you smarter than a 5th Grade level educated 747 pilot..."

It isn't a latch.  It isn't a lever.

1) What is it?

2) There are two of them- what is the other one doing?

3) What electrical sources do each of them use?

4) What signal are they getting from the air-ground circuit? (meaning: which gear signal unlocks each of them?")

Tell me the answer to those- and I'll tell you whether it is modeled in the simulation.  :hi:

(The fact that I already know all of this might tell you what you wanted to know- but since you wanted to play....  lets go... play!)

• Upvote 4

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Ouch. Lain, you've been told. Just saying... :hi:

Can i join into this "question-answer" game as a real 744 driver?  :Tounge:

Evangelos Kagklis

QOTS driver

Started simming back in '95 ended up with a full time pilot job..

Great update and an interesting feature! I'm looking forward to flying the queen :)

Keep up the good work PMDG!

Cheers,

Fabrizio Barbierato

Fabrizio Barbierato

CLX319_zps10aeywtl.pngECN0550.png

Lian,

Okay- I'll bite.  Since you want to play "are you smarter than a 5th Grade level educated 747 pilot..."

It isn't a latch.  It isn't a lever.

1) What is it?

4) What signal are they getting from the air-ground circuit? (meaning: which gear signal unlocks each of them?")

Tell me the answer to those- and I'll tell you whether it is modeled in the simulation.  :hi:

(The fact that I already know all of this might tell you what you wanted to know- but since you wanted to play....  lets go... play!)

614le0L.jpg

Not an expert of the 747 by any means, but I did manage to cobble up some information on the internet as I'm rather bored with no new PMDG aircraft to buy. ;-)

1) What is it?
Landing gear control handle lock

I can only find references for 1 lever, attached to a lock solenoid and a relay, which is connected to a proximity switch electronics unit or PSEU.

28VDC from DC Bus 2

Primary and alternate gear tilt sensor circuits (All body/wing gear tilted) and the body gear steering actuator lock circuits.

The reason I asked was due to a post I read on pprune, where the click sound was used to indicate that the aircraft is airborne. The 'latch' is probably referenced in relation to the 747 Classic, where AFAIK there's an actual latch.

AMAZING! Rarely post here but this is amazing, just love the way you've designed this and I can't wait to get it! First trip, LHR-BOS!

Best Regards,
Tristan Marchent - UK fATPL(A) - EMB 195 First Officer

System: Intel i7-6700k Skylake CPU, 4 Cores (4.0-4.2GHz, Overlocked 20%), Asus Z170 PRO GAMING MBO, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Corsair Hydro H80i V2 CPU Cooler, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB, Windows 10 Home 64-bit (512GB M.2 PCIe SSD), Prepar3D V4.5 (1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD), 4TB SSHD Hybrid Drive, EVGA GQ 80 PLUS Gold 850W Modular PSU

Hi Ryan,

Perhaps my use of the term 'nose cowl' is inappropriate for worldwide audiences- to add clarification to my question: as shown above there is a white plastic protector sleeve installed on the inlet cowling, its been a long time since I spoke to the guys over on the 'heavy' side of the hangar about such things (757s & 727s are my area), but I recall it may have had something to do with airflow (akin to the center shroud). In regards to source, I'm not in the office until Wednesday but when I am I can certainly see if there's any docs on the company intranet and speak to some of our double-decker crew chiefs. If I find docs worth sending I assume I can reach you at your usual PMDG email address?

Regardless, I am aware of times where a hairdryer has been sent out without such a sleeve, so it's certainly no issue if not included.

Jordi Blumberg