Sign in to follow this  
McDaniel

AA Transperancy setting in P3D V3.1, why not just using 8x Supersampling ?

Hey guys and gals

I am wondering why everybody uses "4xsparse grid super bla bla bla..." which is bringing my system to it's knees in dense cloud (ASN set to 10 layers).

I tried today and now I am using just 8x supersampling with great image quality and without fps reduction in clouds (still 10 layers set in ASN).

Here my settings if you want to try, Nvidia Inspector under the Antialiasing Tab:

Behavior Flags  None

Gamma Corre.                  On

Line Gamma                     Default

Mode                                Enhance the app setting

Setting                              App Controlled / Off

Transparency Multis.        On

TRans. Supersampling     8x Supersampling

Enable Maxwell...              off

Nvidia Prede FXAA           Allowed

Toggle FXAA indi              off

Toggle FXAA                    off

P3D Settings

FXAA                               Off

MSAA                               8 Samples

Milage may vary on diffrent system, mine K6700 with SLI GTX 970.

Please let me know how these settings work for you.....

McDan out

Doesn't this mean that your Inspector settings are ignored?

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Nope, the AA setting is not working anyway with p3d, but the AA Transperancy setting works. Changed the title, was missleading.

McDan out

Tried your suggestion of using 8x supersampling and, while it did improve FPS in clouds, the aircraft AA quality was totally unacceptable.
Went back to 4xsparse grid with in-game MSAA at 4 samples which gives me excellent AA quality with an FPS hit in clouds that I don't find to be a huge problem.

I am running ASN at the ASN default of 5 cloud layers, however.

FWIW - I am running a 6700K@4.7 with a single GTX970.

.....Lloyd

Tried your suggestion of using 8x supersampling and, while it did improve FPS in clouds, the aircraft AA quality was totally unacceptable.

Went back to 4xsparse grid with in-game MSAA at 4 samples which gives me excellent AA quality with an FPS hit in clouds that I don't find to be a huge problem.

I am running ASN at the ASN default of 5 cloud layers, however.

FWIW - I am running a 6700K@4.7 with a single GTX970.

.....Lloyd

I feel you, it's always hard to make a step back..., I was used to standard p3d aa, so for me, it's a huge improvement :-)

McDan out

I am wondering why everybody uses "4xsparse grid super bla bla bla..." which is bringing my system to it's knees in dense cloud (ASN set to 10 layers).

Thanks for this.

Definitely an alternative to SGTSS.

I get a bit more shimmering over water but otherwise good.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Whether to use SGSSAA or not depends on the aircraft model. P3D users can check this by defaulting the NI profile, loading a B58, and setting 4xMSAA in P3D display settings. Pan around in the VC and zoom out.

Now load the A36, and pan around, zoom out, and hello pixels.

Start a new NI (NVidia inspector) profile, by making any change with the NVCP (NVidia Control Panel) first, go into NI and set Transparency AA to Sparse Grid 4x (matches the 4x in P3D MSAA). Now pan around the A36 VC and zoom out, fairly well anti-aliased now. However, we've only got half the fps.

Here's a rundown of performance v AA type. Normally the setup would produce >70fps but I have deliberately chosen complex settings in P3D visuals to exaggerate the results. FPS - Delta (red line) shows true performance since performance cannot be compared with fps alone:

AA_Rundown.jpg

...FSX with DX10 produces the same results as P3D DX11 with the Transparency AA. *FSX DX9 is different* and does not suffer with this particular problem.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

On 1/17/2016 at 5:56 AM, McDaniel said:

I tried today and now I am using just 8x supersampling with great image quality and without fps reduction in clouds (still 10 layers set in ASN).

Here my settings if you want to try, Nvidia Inspector under the Antialiasing Tab:

Behavior Flags  None

Gamma Corre.                  On

Line Gamma                     Default

Mode                                Enhance the app setting

Transparency Multis.        On

TRans. Supersampling     8x Supersampling

Not sure how many other V3 hold outs there are out there or if this works in V4  but thought it may be beneficial to share...

I hate to resurrect such an old thread but the suggestion of using just 8xSS actually fixed a long annoying shimmering issue for me.  

I am using P3D3.4, running 4K @30hz, 1080GTX. I love to fly low and slow in PNW and start out at Cascade Locks(CZK). The biggest shimmering annoyance for me is the high power line towers. They shimmered not matter what I did and was only solved by adding SGSS in NI which killed my performance.

After years of hearing the 8xSS did not work, I finally decided to give it a try and was happily surprised that it removed all the shimmering on the towers and no performance impact.  This tip works great in conjunction with my 4K setup. In P3D, I use 8xMSAA with FXAA off.

I tried the 4xSS and 4xMSAA as well and it was nearly identical in resolving the external shimmering, The 8xSS settings did just a little better for me and no perceivable performance difference.

There are so many combinations and different ways to do things.......... I just hauled off and tried this setting. I have to say it worked real well for me. Thanks for taking the time to make a note of it.!!

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Will try it too. Hopefully it is not placebo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).