Sign in to follow this  
johnwillimas

Just Flight Dove Released

The starter sound (or lack thereof) seems to be a distribution issue. The starter soundfiles are referenced in the sound.cfg but the starter wav's themselves are missing in my installation of the JF Dove.

LORBY-SI

The starter sound (or lack thereof) seems to be a distribution issue. The starter soundfiles are referenced in the sound.cfg but the starter wav's themselves are missing in my installation of the JF Dove.

Yes, same on my system.

Anyone posted this at Flight1?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Which files are missing for you, my directory looks OK....

Aircraft manufacturing (as distinct from components) has sadly disappeared - in a nutshell, mainly down to political interference over many decades.

On a side note.....what the heck happened to the once magnificent British aircraft development and manufacturing industry?........where have they all gone?? :sad:

Bill is spot on, mainly politics and probably some historical British arrogance too. Successive governments doomed domestic aircraft manufacturing by failing to approach things from a commercial perspective; aircraft tended to be built to the very narrow specifications of the state airlines, BEA & BOAC, they were often technically brilliant but unsuitable for other carriers.

A classic example is the HS121 Trident, the original specifications were almost identical to what would become Boeing's top-selling 727, but then BEA panicked and thought it was too large, so it got shrunk, it was then difficult to stretch later so the 727 grabbed most of the market.

There were lots of government forced mergers too. And many dead-end crackpot government schemes (e.g. the Brabazon Committee resulted in the development of 6 post-war airliners, of which only 2 were successful)! Ironically the DH Dove was a child of Brabazon, although you could argue it was just a logical replacement for the successful Dragon Rapide.

About the only decent thing the govt did was bail out RR in the 1970s and then re-privatise it.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Which files are missing for you, my directory looks OK....

I am missing the four starter files:

filename=ms_starter_left

filename=xms_starter_left

filename=ms_starter_right

filename=xms_starter_right

I dropped in the starter sounds of the Goose and renamed them, so although wrong, the engine start now at least sounds believable.

LORBY-SI

Bill is spot on, mainly politics and probably some historical British arrogance too. Successive governments doomed domestic aircraft manufacturing by failing to approach things from a commercial perspective; aircraft tended to be built to the very narrow specifications of the state airlines, BEA & BOAC, they were often technically brilliant but unsuitable for other carriers.

A classic example is the HS121 Trident, the original specifications were almost identical to what would become Boeing's top-selling 727, but then BEA panicked and thought it was too large, so it got shrunk, it was then difficult to stretch later so the 727 grabbed most of the market.

There were lots of government forced mergers too. And many dead-end crackpot government schemes (e.g. the Brabazon Committee resulted in the development of 6 post-war airliners, of which only 2 were successful)! Ironically the DH Dove was a child of Brabazon, although you could argue it was just a logical replacement for the successful Dragon Rapide.

About the only decent thing the govt did was bail out RR in the 1970s and then re-privatise it.

A good book on this is subject is "Empire of the Clouds" by James Hamilton-Paterson : available from your favorite book vendor..

Thanks for the recommendation, I will take a look :smile: Although I'm concerned it's just going to make me angry, brilliance stifled by incompetence!

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I am missing the four starter files:

filename=ms_starter_left

filename=xms_starter_left

filename=ms_starter_right

filename=xms_starter_right

I dropped in the starter sounds of the Goose and renamed them, so although wrong, the engine start now at least sounds believable.

Nutikati:  OK - you are right, I don't have those either, I mis-read the sound.cfg file. :Doh:

You might get a better effect with the Aeromusica sound set for Derek Palmer's FS9 Dove over on Classic British Files (britsim.com) and there is also the Gary Jones file developed for the same purpose here on AVSIm (http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=156938). Both these work ok with the Just Flight Dove as far as I can see and doing as you suggest with just the starter files seems to work too. On balance I prefer the Aeromusica startup sounds but try for yourself. :smile:

Thanks for the recommendation, I will take a look :smile: Although I'm concerned it's just going to make me angry, brilliance stifled by incompetence!

Ckyliu: I fear that you might be right about your reaction... :wink:

I'm enjoying her still, and think the sounds are better than a lot of other addons. Startup I agree isn't as realistic sounding as it could be, but once running I rather like the sound.

Agreed. After further flying the basic sounds seem quite good. But the lack of a startup sequence is a killer to immersion. But I see in some later posts that the start sounds are in fact programmed in, but the corresponding sounds files are missing. Perhaps JF will get on top of this.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

I copied and renamed the start files for the JF DC-3 and placed them in the Dove Sound folder.  An improvement, but not sure if they are the correct files intended (the naming convention is different for the files.) Obviously a mistake has been made and JF needs to supply the correct missing files. And of course they are completely different engines. But a stop gap solution. I will post something on their forum in case no one else has.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

A useful fix has been identified to the trim problem on the Just Flight forum... table 437 is missing from the air file : copying one in - the author suggests the one from the default DC-3 - gives a more believable behaviour on the pitch axis.

table 437 is missing from the air file : copying one in - the author suggests the one from the default DC-3 - gives a more believable behaviour on the pitch axis.

This sounds tricky to me. I have looked at the air file and don't know where "table 437" should be placed. Also I am flying P3Dv3 for which there is no default DC3. In any case this is obviously a "stop gap"  solution that while it may stop excessive pitch and trim difficulty and stalls, is unlikely to present the correct flight dynamics, as the DC3 is quite different from the Dove. Hopefully JustFlight will provide the modifiled air file as well as the missing startup sound files. I reported the missing startup files issue to the JustFlight technical support team last week, but so far no response either to me nor is there any acknowledgement of the issue on the JustFlight forum.

It's a shame - it's a great aircraft, but I will just put it away until JustFlight takes care of these issues. I am tired after every takeoff of fighting to get the aircraft under control until I can get it on autopilot.

Seems they didn't quite deliver on the "finely tuned flight dynamics" section of their sales page ha

Nice plane though, hopefully SP1 will come quick and solve these issues.

A useful fix has been identified to the trim problem on the Just Flight forum... table 437 is missing from the air file : copying one in - the author suggests the one from the default DC-3 - gives a more believable behaviour on the pitch axis.

I did not find a table 437, so I did some investigating. It seems to be a typo, it is table 473.

Adding this table from the dc-3 works fine. Copy from dc3, Add from clipboard in dove with AirEd.

Is there a simple way to make the .air file change?  I've played around in .cfg's before in other planes but haven't messed around in the .air files.

I'm sure JF will address this in time, but would be happy to try the fix, just not sure exactly how.