Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

P3Dv3.1 and My VATSIM Flight

Hey guys,

I just did my very first Vatsim Flight (I am only P1 Rated on VATSIM) and it sure was fun.  Flying over LAX, I was just overwhelmed on how to read the callbacks so fast.  When I fly I solo I never paid attention to airspace zones and clearances.

VATSIM first and then Pilotedge - this can get very addicting (It is so much fun).  Even my A2A C182 became a handful as I have reading out the callbacks on the mic and looking at the GTN 750 to see where really I am going etc. 

Lots to learn and practice.

Got a question for you guys on VATSIM

1) What time is the best to log on to VATSIM.

2) What are the best airports to practice flying with ATC in vatsim? and what is also the best GA airport with ATC to practice flying?

Thanks

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I haven't used vatsim, and honestly was turned away by the availability of controllers.  So to your question, I'm of little use.

I will say this much, if you thought that was great, get on pilotedge.  It is utterly amazing and not all that overwhelming after a few flights.  They have an amazing training program and workshops.  I've only been on pilotedge a week or two and am SO glad I picked it up.  

I apologize I didn't directly answer your question, just wanted to throw that out there.   

If you fly often in Europe, it might also be worth to have a look on IVAO - just to name the three (VATSIM, PILOTSEDGE, IVAO). Ivao has usually a lot of ATC online during (local) evening hours.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

The Los Angeles ARTCC is a good place to start. They have a respected pilot training program that would be ideal for you http://laartcc.org/

I've not tried it as I'm in the UK and can't seem to stay awake long enough.

If you're prepared to move around the world you should find some atc on most times. It's mainly the early evening. Look for special events and book your flight in advance, that way you'll have more chance of full ATC for your journey. Go to Vatsim.net and scroll down to "upcoming events" That should get you off the ground (pun intended)

Jim

I haven't used vatsim, and honestly was turned away by the availability of controllers.  So to your question, I'm of little use.

I will say this much, if you thought that was great, get on pilotedge.  It is utterly amazing and not all that overwhelming after a few flights.  They have an amazing training program and workshops.  I've only been on pilotedge a week or two and am SO glad I picked it up.  

I apologize I didn't directly answer your question, just wanted to throw that out there.   

You did answer my question.  I do intend to go to Pilotedge and always have coverage.  I was just trying out the free vatsim option to get some experience and goal is to get into Pilotedge.  For now get some experience with VATSIM and save some money for annual pilotedge subscription (I already spent a lot during the December Addon Sales events...lol).

If you fly often in Europe, it might also be worth to have a look on IVAO - just to name the three (VATSIM, PILOTSEDGE, IVAO). Ivao has usually a lot of ATC online during (local) evening hours.

Thank you for letting me know.  I do love flying over England and I will look into IVAO.

The Los Angeles ARTCC is a good place to start. They have a respected pilot training program that would be ideal for you http://laartcc.org/

I've not tried it as I'm in the UK and can't seem to stay awake long enough.

If you're prepared to move around the world you should find some atc on most times. It's mainly the early evening. Look for special events and book your flight in advance, that way you'll have more chance of full ATC for your journey. Go to Vatsim.net and scroll down to "upcoming events" That should get you off the ground (pun intended)

Jim

Thank you for suggestions.  The laartcc looks amazing and thank you for letting me know about upcoming events on the vatsim site.  I didn't even know about this.

I can see once you get live ATC - I just can't go back to regular sim.  Live ATC makes my SIM so alive and finally makes simming challenging. 

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Nice to see others realizing just how much more fun and real things get when you start flying online.

I've been flying online for many, many years now. I started flying on Vatsim, then I went flying on IVAO for a couple of years and now I'm back on Vatsim again and these days I never fly offline unless there's something I need to test or try out and/or troubleshoot in my installation.

Regardless of what network you end up with, enjoy your flying online and just as you already mention yourself...I don't think you'll want to go back to offline flying again any time soon!

Richard Åsberg

I was really into Vatsim years ago, but after a year or so, I  got tired of controllers either not being where or when I wanted to fly, or  controllers signing off when I am within an hour of my destination, etc, etc.   I have looked at the online services where they show the controllers that are on line, when I fly, there might be  one or two controllers for the entire US. I use Pro ATC now and have a broad range of controllers for any flight , no matter where or when I fly. From Clearance, to ground, to Tower, to departure, to Center, Approach, Tower and ground.  Not going to happen, 99% of the time with online flying. I like flying when I want to fly, not having to follow someone else's schedule. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Yep- lots of flightsimmers think they're hardcore until they go online. Vatsim isn't very tough though. Pilot Edge can be very realistic though.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yep- lots of flightsimmers think they're hardcore until they go online. Vatsim isn't very tough though. Pilot Edge can be very realistic though.

I have to mirror this sentiment.   I don't think you can get a more realistic ATC experience than PilotEdge.  

Case in point, last night I was flying from Fullerton, CA over to Grand Canyon National.  I filed IFR and being an idiot filed V routes with an altitude of 23k.  When the controller gave me my clearance everything was different that what I filed.  He routed me using J routes.  That was my mistake.  The controller didn't say a word about it, just rattled off my route while I wrote my arse off to get it all down.   The controllers on PilotEdge are going to give you actual routes that are currently being flown.  If you request anything else I wouldn't hold your breath.  I can get them to change a runway for me if I'm heading in somewhere that's got no other traffic, and they might shortcut a tec route for you but these things happen in real life as well.  Can't say enough about PilotEdge.

Nice to see others realizing just how much more fun and real things get when you start flying online.

I've been flying online for many, many years now. I started flying on Vatsim, then I went flying on IVAO for a couple of years and now I'm back on Vatsim again and these days I never fly offline unless there's something I need to test or try out and/or troubleshoot in my installation.

Regardless of what network you end up with, enjoy your flying online and just as you already mention yourself...I don't think you'll want to go back to offline flying again any time soon!

Thanks,

I was really into Vatsim years ago, but after a year or so, I  got tired of controllers either not being where or when I wanted to fly, or  controllers signing off when I am within an hour of my destination, etc, etc.   I have looked at the online services where they show the controllers that are on line, when I fly, there might be  one or two controllers for the entire US. I use Pro ATC now and have a broad range of controllers for any flight , no matter where or when I fly. From Clearance, to ground, to Tower, to departure, to Center, Approach, Tower and ground.  Not going to happen, 99% of the time with online flying. I like flying when I want to fly, not having to follow someone else's schedule. 

Wow - Just looked into Pro ATC, I never knew something like this existed.  I wonder how it is with General Aviation fights

I do listen to PilotEdge audio streams - these guys act and sound like ATC in liveatc.net

I have to mirror this sentiment.   I don't think you can get a more realistic ATC experience than PilotEdge.  

Case in point, last night I was flying from Fullerton, CA over to Grand Canyon National.  I filed IFR and being an idiot filed V routes with an altitude of 23k.  When the controller gave me my clearance everything was different that what I filed.  He routed me using J routes.  That was my mistake.  The controller didn't say a word about it, just rattled off my route while I wrote my arse off to get it all down.   The controllers on PilotEdge are going to give you actual routes that are currently being flown.  If you request anything else I wouldn't hold your breath.  I can get them to change a runway for me if I'm heading in somewhere that's got no other traffic, and they might shortcut a tec route for you but these things happen in real life as well.  Can't say enough about PilotEdge.

Thanks for the positive words for PilotEdge.  I was flying over my second flight yesterday and I noticed the airport App/Tower just disconnected and logged off (without any warning).  Where as the Tower give a NOTAM that will close in few minutes.

I am 100% planning to get Pilotedge subscription in a month or two.  I do check out their live stream on and off and it is fantastic.  I do wish they would include all areas of NA Orbx FTX regions (SAK-PNW-NRM-CRM-SCA-NCA).

PilotEdge are in the process of expansion. It's a little slower than they hoped, they're waiting on information supplied by the FAA to ensure full authenticity, but it's definitely in the pipe-line.

A quote from their forum:

We'll be providing a new area of coverage which includes these airports on a full time basis: SEA, PDX, SLC, DEN, ASE, PHX. SFO will also be covered as part of this new area.

Additionally, we'll provide part time coverage for: OAK, SJC, RNO, MRY, SMF, GEG, YKM, EGE, ABQ. "Part time" means that we'll cover ONE of those fields at a time for a period of two weeks before closing it and moving to the next one in the list. Think of it as a temporary bonus field.

Eugene

PilotEdge are in the process of expansion. It's a little slower than they hoped, they're waiting on information supplied by the FAA to ensure full authenticity, but it's definitely in the pipe-line.

A quote from their forum:

We'll be providing a new area of coverage which includes these airports on a full time basis: SEA, PDX, SLC, DEN, ASE, PHX. SFO will also be covered as part of this new area.

Additionally, we'll provide part time coverage for: OAK, SJC, RNO, MRY, SMF, GEG, YKM, EGE, ABQ. "Part time" means that we'll cover ONE of those fields at a time for a period of two weeks before closing it and moving to the next one in the list. Think of it as a temporary bonus field.

Eugene

This is Amazing news.  Looks like the Orbx FTX regions area is gonna be covered really well.  The value add of Pilotedge is amazing.  Looking forward to joining Pilotedge in few short months

I heard lots of good stuff about pilotedge, too bad it's only US...

Richard Åsberg

I heard lots of good stuff about pilotedge, too bad it's only US...

I tried it about 6 months ago. It is fine for flying GA aircraft, since the area  it covers in square miles,  would probably be typical of what most GA pilots would cover in real life if even that much. Since I fly 99% VA flights in the US, Canada, Europe, and Mexico, it just doesn't work at all. The controllers are good, however. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

OK, good to know. Thanks for sharing Bob!

Fact is I'm mostly very happy with Vatsim but like others already said it always annoying when you're doing a flight and then all of a sudden the ATC closes mid flight.

However I've learned you can at least to a certain degree avoid this by how you're planning your flights both from a time of day perspective but also looking at your origin and destination.

Then keeping your eyes open for official Vatsim events like someone else already suggested is a great idea and will almost guarantee you'll have great ATC coverage.

Finally looking at the quality of the ATC I think it's generally very good at Vatsim. To mention a few areas where at least I find the ATC to be very good I would say Scandinavia (yep...I'm biased :wink:) but also UK. The German controllers usually do a great job as well I think.

Richard Åsberg