Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Just a general, "I'm having a blast", post :)

Hi Lamar;

The way I have my system set up..is this:

I have both FSX (Boxed) and FS9 on my C: drive. On my F: drive sits P3D v2.4

No FSX or ORBX stuff will work within FS9.  All 3rdP and freeware/donationware planes, airports, scenery, total world texture replacement such as Sascha's EVO2015/16, are dedicated software only to be used within the FS9 platform.  Why, just on AVSIM alone, there are TONS of great planes (for FS9 is a fully mature platform), airports, scenery packs, blah, blah and blah!   It would take you ten years just to install everything donated by great fellow users and the like.

If you do decide to reinstall FS9...there is one file that you need, I can't remember what it is...to download and install (Perhaps, I can call upon others that might know this file's name) and it stops crashes or non-starts.  It is an .exe file that once run, acts like FS9's first and only Service Pack.

For weather, you can buy Active Sky Evolution, from the same company as Active Sky Next.   Within A.S.E. or ASE...when you first fire it up, it will ask you what flight sim to you want it to load into....FSX or FS9.  You'd pick FS9, and then away you go.  It creates beautiful weather...and I highly suggest you also pick up REX2004 Extreme for clouds that ASE will inject.  

If you have not ever had any brushing up against the world of FS9...then seriously...make a pot of coffee...sip and download/install, sip and download/install...sip and....and...   You get the picture.  Everybody in this forum will be MOST glad to help you in any question...and THERE IS NO bad or 'duh' question....fire them away...and you'll get answered.  FSX/P3D are both great, but in my opinion, they do not universally replace, or put FS9 out-to-pasture.  No way...and with Sascha's  EVO2015/16 world texture replacement suite....even more so!

Have fun...and INSTALL, INSTALL...INSTALL!!!!! :)

Cheers,

Mitch

Hi Lamar;

The way I have my system set up..is this:

I have both FSX (Boxed) and FS9 on my C: drive. On my F: drive sits P3D v2.4

No FSX or ORBX stuff will work within FS9.  All 3rdP and freeware/donationware planes, airports, scenery, total world texture replacement such as Sascha's EVO2015/16, are dedicated software only to be used within the FS9 platform.  Why, just on AVSIM alone, there are TONS of great planes (for FS9 is a fully mature platform), airports, scenery packs, blah, blah and blah!   It would take you ten years just to install everything donated by great fellow users and the like.

If you do decide to reinstall FS9...there is one file that you need, I can't remember what it is...to download and install (Perhaps, I can call upon others that might know this file's name) and it stops crashes or non-starts.  It is an .exe file that once run, acts like FS9's first and only Service Pack.

For weather, you can buy Active Sky Evolution, from the same company as Active Sky Next.   Within A.S.E. or ASE...when you first fire it up, it will ask you what flight sim to you want it to load into....FSX or FS9.  You'd pick FS9, and then away you go.  It creates beautiful weather...and I highly suggest you also pick up REX2004 Extreme for clouds that ASE will inject.  

If you have not ever had any brushing up against the world of FS9...then seriously...make a pot of coffee...sip and download/install, sip and download/install...sip and....and...   You get the picture.  Everybody in this forum will be MOST glad to help you in any question...and THERE IS NO bad or 'duh' question....fire them away...and you'll get answered.  FSX/P3D are both great, but in my opinion, they do not universally replace, or put FS9 out-to-pasture.  No way...and with Sascha's  EVO2015/16 world texture replacement suite....even more so!

Have fun...and INSTALL, INSTALL...INSTALL!!!!! :)

Cheers,

Mitch

Hi Mitch, just got Sascha's EVO2015/16 and going to knock the dust off FS9 and INSTALL!!!!!!   BTW Mitch I just found out my FSX Deluxe boxed DVD is now $ 219 on Amazon. Pays to hang on old box versions of flight sims.

Regards

Lamar Wright

NOTAM:  This is the FS2004 forum.  FSX-SE / P3Dv3 / XP ...... what's up with that? ...... although I do still use WindowsXP.

Haha, my apologies.  I still own a copy of FS9, but not installed, does that count?  :smile:

I have not yet been able to get the outside scenery view totally smooth, like I see it in FSX.

[Ok, one last FSX comment] Hmm, I don't see this smoothness that you refer to with FSX, but I will try with FSX-SE to see if I may have prejudged ORBX. Thx

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Hi Mitch, just got Sascha's EVO2015/16 and going to knock the dust off FS9 and INSTALL!!!!!!   BTW Mitch I just found out my FSX Deluxe boxed DVD is now $ 219 on Amazon. Pays to hang on old box versions of flight sims.

Good go, Lamar...have a blast...enjoy!

Mitch

Haha, my apologies.  I still own a copy of FS9, but not installed, does that count?  :smile:

No

Hi Mitch,

Nice to read your description of fs9. I completely agree with you although I dont have Evo. That is maybe the next thing on my list.

For me fs9 is here to stay and it will never leave. My fs is also around 115gB with everything installed. It is running so smooth on my system that I dont want to make the next step all over again. Finding out how things work, tweaking in the middle of the night, you name it. I dont have time for that because I need my sleep nowadays with two small kids as firstperson addons in my house. (They were freeware but they didnt tell me that upgrading was that expensive;-)

I got a question for you though. I see you are using some addon traffic from 2002. Why dont you use traffic that is more up to date like aircraft from other parties?

Now, post-EVO2015 installation, with graphics that truly put, in my opinion, FS9 banging at the doors of 3rdP offerings to use in FSX, P3D (mind you, you need to take into account that the graphics engines are different, etc) and that I feel that EVO2015 (and all latest updates from Sascha) bring FS9 as close as it can come to the glass ceiling, that it is now, for my needs and expectations, be used equally in full flights and/or time, to all the others.

It is that good, in my opinion. 

Not picking on you, Mitch, but I'd like you and any other person interested in EVO2015 to check out my review/response to a topic on EVO2015 at flightsim.com ..... with screenshots comparisons using GEPro in the Blue Ridge Mountain area.  It's in the FS2004 forum.  Everyone can believe and use what they like, but look at the screenshots which have not been altered ...  no use Bloom, floom or any other "colorization" within the sim.  Kinda think what you see on the screen should mimic what's happening outside your window .... for reality's sake.

Hi Mitch,

Nice to read your description of fs9. I completely agree with you although I dont have Evo. That is maybe the next thing on my list.

For me fs9 is here to stay and it will never leave. My fs is also around 115gB with everything installed. It is running so smooth on my system that I dont want to make the next step all over again. Finding out how things work, tweaking in the middle of the night, you name it. I dont have time for that because I need my sleep nowadays with two small kids as firstperson addons in my house. (They were freeware but they didnt tell me that upgrading was that expensive;-)

I got a question for you though. I see you are using some addon traffic from 2002. Why dont you use traffic that is more up to date like aircraft from other parties?

Hi Bert,

For my traffic, it is actually MyTraffic, (the latest for FS9).  I also use another legacy traffic that gives me smoking 707's and other commercial prop sleds.  For myself, the airline paint schemes aren't all that important, for as much, as they are there to fill out the airport and sky.  You are right though...I should at some point update to current carriers and the like.  You have an eye for the detail! :)  

Cheers!

Mitch

Where can I see what these EVO2015 pictures look like?

What textures does it update? Only sky and clouds or even scenery?

Thanks

Ghiom

Where can I see what these EVO2015 pictures look like?

What textures does it update? Only sky and clouds or even scenery?

Thanks

Ghiom

Hi,

most important, they update the ground textures, but also autogen trees and buildings, clouds, airport environment. Furthermore, they install 3D ground lights.

You are able to choose what you want out of the package (for this reason, there is no automatic installer, you have to change the files manually - you have full control what you are going to do). For instance, I only use ground textures, while I prefer HDEv2 for clouds, FE9G for sky textures and a mix of some third party freeware for the other items.

The newest screenshot threads by Mitch (the original poster) over there in the Screenshot Section are taken with FS9Evo. Also, my latest screenshot threads show Evo ground textures.

Hope this helps!

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

For my traffic, it is actually MyTraffic, (the latest for FS9).  I also use another legacy traffic that gives me smoking 707's and other commercial prop sleds.  For myself, the airline paint schemes aren't all that important, for as much, as they are there to fill out the airport and sky.  You are right though...I should at some point update to current carriers and the like.  You have an eye for the detail! :)  

Cheers!

Mitch

That is something I always look at. I keep my traffic as up to date as possible. I always use Traffic files frrom Alpha India and I always try to have the latest liveries Im my aircraft folder. I also like to have the FAIB aircraft or other high quality aircraft.

That is something I always look at. I keep my traffic as up to date as possible. I always use Traffic files frrom Alpha India and I always try to have the latest liveries Im my aircraft folder. I also like to have the FAIB aircraft or other high quality aircraft.

To have truly updated depictions of current paint schemes of current operating airlines, is of course, more 'as real as it gets'...and I will have to kick my butt into gear on that front. :) 

Happy flights!

Mitch

Haha!

Its just a thing that I like. I sometimes spend more time on working on these traffic files than flying itself.

Haha!

Its just a thing that I like. I sometimes spend more time on working on these traffic files than flying itself.

No..I mean, you're absolutely right...if you want it as real as it gets...airlines and paints, that have been mothballed, should not truly be there.  You're right!

I will get to that, right after I have a few more thousand re-birthed FS9 flights.  I just did Chicago's Meigs this morning..and was totally blown away with the depiction...(of course with EVO2015/16 and U.T. running the show) for a flight sim coded 12 years ago!  I really like my ORBX new Meigs for FSX and P3D, but I have no problem firing up EVOFS9 for the same area...no problem at all... :)

Cheers,

Mitch

airlines and paints, that have been mothballed, should not truly be there.  You're right!

It's the privilege to us who use a flight simulator so often announced as "dead" to have defunct airlines flying around! :P

With honesty: I like to have "museum planes" here and there flying a single leg per week or just sitting around the hangar. This is the little virtual world of everyone of us...

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg