Sign in to follow this  
RancidViper

Need help building my new rig!

I would agree with Rich. ROG, or Z170-A Z170 Deluxe Z170 Premium. If you can afford the stunning Maximus VIII Formula you will probably fall in love and want to marry it.

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2016/01/rogs-maximus-viii-formula-redefines-the-math-for-premium-pcs/

My next board its kick arse

Rich Sennett

Only thing I'd change is the cooler. The H110 or any other 280mm AIO would be a better option especialy if OC'd is on the cards.

no way would i spend 450-500 for a motherboard. in my case i change my parts out every other chip,i guess if you were gonna keep it 5 years that asus board might be worth the money, good luck on your decision making.

• Upvote 1

Rog board for flightsim?

If you run single Gpu the fastest MoBo is Asus Maximus Impact VIII.

Yes this board is the fastest Asus MoBo for single Gpu, even faster then the Extreme VIII..

If you want Multi Gpu card Extreme VIII or the other like Formula, Hero,Gene,Ranger.

Rog board for flightsim?

If you run single Gpu the fastest MoBo is Asus Maximus Impact VIII.

Yes this board is the fastest Asus MoBo for single Gpu, even faster then the Extreme VIII..

If you want Multi Gpu card Extreme VIII or the other like Formula, Hero,Gene,Ranger.

When you say "fastest" though Westman...would you agree that it's not hugely faster. Would barely be noticed in everyday use? Just nudges ahead in benchmarks.

My next board its kick arse

Stunning isn't it. I believe OC3D.net had to invent a new award, namely "White Gold".

I have a Z170-A ready for my build, but I admit I am tempted to grab one.

Martin, the Impact have superior memory magament .

If you for example not have very fast mems (3000-3600) it performs as any good Z170 MoBo.

Second for sim you not need the Rog series, your MoBo is as good as the Impact or Extreme with 3200mhz mems, in daily sim use.

Sim likes fast mems as we now , the Impact VIII shines with +4200mhz mems.

For example you ar cracy to buy a set of tridentZ 4266mhz Its only the Impact that boot with XMP settings.

The rest the approx Max is 3800-4000mhz XMP

Offtopic , your Ripjaws 3200 run easy 3600 2click OC , vdimm 1.4v and 3600 memstrap then you test it with 1.35v or 3866strap think both gone work flawless.

Sim likes fast mems as we now , the Impact VIII shines with +4200mhz mems.

But how much difference does "shines" make in everyday use? In the sim and other applications. It may shine in benchmarks, but does that advantage translate into a significant advantage, a noticeable, quantifiable advantage in real terms.?

ASUS ROG Maximus motherboards are great!!, and 5 way optimization really works to simplify the overclocking process.

RAM designed for Skylake and the Corsair H110i water cooling.

I had no trouble getting my 6700k a stable 4.8 overclock using ASUS AI Suite.

Cheers

Steve

You see difference in all CPU bound apps , in sim use, OC of the CPU give some and mems to.

A 6700k @4.7 3000mhz you need 4.5 -4.6 with 4000mhz to get the same performance.

As you pointed before the gain of CPU is linear the memspeed scale very good to but you have more parameters to work with , detrimite the optimal settings for your mems to CPU memcontroller and MoBo capabilites.

That can be hard say a % in gain for the mems , a tumb of rule is around 0.5% 100mhz

The Rog board is born from the mother of Asus Z170 MoBo ( mother of the motherboards) , same layout for CPU and mems.

Only the impact is a ###### ( ba-stard )

A basic setup is 4.7-4.8 3200-3600 then if your lucky 5ghz is possible

I am running the 6700k @ 4,4 GHz with Air cooling and do not have problems on a Asus Z170-A mainboard.

What I can recommend is a M.2 SSD -> 2 Gb/s read and about 1 GB/s write speed... basically a SSD which is directly connected to the PCI-E bus.

When you say "fastest" though Westman...would you agree that it's not hugely faster. Would barely be noticed in everyday use? Just nudges ahead in benchmarks.

Stunning isn't it. I believe OC3D.net had to invent a new award, namely "White Gold".

I have a Z170-A ready for my build, but I admit I am tempted to grab one.

Not sure but you cant buy aROG Maximus VIII Formula yet - they have not been released to general public yet

Rich Sennett

You see difference in all CPU bound apps , in sim use, OC of the CPU give some and mems to.

A 6700k @4.7 3000mhz you need 4.5 -4.6 with 4000mhz to get the same performance.

As you pointed before the gain of CPU is linear the memspeed scale very good to but you have more parameters to work with , detrimite the optimal settings for your mems to CPU memcontroller and MoBo capabilites.

That can be hard say a % in gain for the mems , a tumb of rule is around 0.5% 100mhz

The Rog board is born from the mother of Asus Z170 MoBo ( mother of the motherboards) , same layout for CPU and mems.

Only the impact is a ###### ( ba-stard )

A basic setup is 4.7-4.8 3200-3600 then if your lucky 5ghz is possible

Thanks Westman, as informative as ever.  :smile:

Not sure but you cant buy aROG Maximus VIII Formula yet - they have not been released to general public yet

Got em here in the UK Rich... 280 of my English pounds.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-maximus-viii-formula-rgb-intel-z170-s-1151-ddr4-satae-u2-m2-2-way-sli-3-way-xfire-ac-wifi-usb31

Thanks Westman, as informative as ever.  :smile:

Got em here in the UK Rich... 280 of my English pounds.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-maximus-viii-formula-rgb-intel-z170-s-1151-ddr4-satae-u2-m2-2-way-sli-3-way-xfire-ac-wifi-usb31

Nice - thanks 

Rich Sennett

Make sure to take a look at your 980ti GPU choices.  After some research, I decided to purchase the ZOTAC 980Ti Amp Extreme a few days ago.  It's a huge card and you'll need to make sure it fits the PC case, but it's the fastest 980ti out there as far as I'm aware.  I just installed mine last night and it's a big jump in performance compared to the 780ti that it replaced.  

Here's one of many reviews:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zotac_geforce_gtx_980_ti_amp_extreme_review,1.html

Good luck!

Brian Riggs

PPL 2001