Sign in to follow this  
papaja

Pdmg 737ngx flight dynamics

A few months ago i bought the pdmg 737 aircraft and i have to say thay i really enjoy it. I am still learning the sistems which from what i know are very realistic. In the case of the flight dynamics ive never seen people discusing about them, in my opinion the plane feels really smooth and behabe loggicaly. Since i am not a pilot or a 737 frequent flyer i cant provide a good answer to that, so what do you guys think, are the pdmg 737 flight dynamics accurate?

Sorry for my bad english

Thanks

Ricardo

Full names please. First and last. :-)

Can't comment on the FDEs but I assume they're realistic within the confines of a simulator with poor flight modeling.

I am curious about the rotation myself. It's hard to get off the runway IMO, whereas others just get up and go. That's with proper trim too.

• Upvote 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

are the pdmg 737 flight dynamics accurate?

Pretty much as close as they can be in the sim.

Thanks
Ricardo

Full names in the forum please - first and last.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

I am curious about the rotation myself. It's hard to get off the runway IMO, whereas others just get up and go. That's with proper trim too.

How are you sure other companies flight dynamics are right?

How are you sure other companies flight dynamics are right?

Not other companies, PMDG themselves. The original NG in FS9 lifted pretty easy if I remember correctly. The 747 and MD11 do as well. Just seems the NGX likes to roll a fair distance before getting off the ground. Granted it hasn't been a problem but from watching other videos of the NGX, it seems to be doing the same for others.

Just and observation. Control in the air is smooth and great. I just found the perceived reluctance to lift off a little strange compared to all the other add ons I've used.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Observe this video of a 737-800 taking off at LAX, you can see it has a slight reluctance to takeoff, the rotation is slow due in order not to strike the tail. The longer the aircraft is, the more reluctant it wants to lift off right away.

https://youtu.be/QkjtKKBxgoo?t=38s

Ours models this "reluctance" appropriately and we had several 737 drivers on the beta team verify our modeling.

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

So do you think the MD11 is not accurate in that regard? It loves to lift off. The 744 was easier too. I kinda recall the original NG being different that way but feel that the overall handling of the newer NGX is so much nicer.

It's truly a beautiful work of art and I'm enjoying learning it after so much time away from the hobby. Can't wait for the 744 v2. :-)

- Chris

It loves to lift off.

I don't understand this focus on "lift off,"  some aircraft will takeoff without any rotation (the DC-6 for example) and others will linger on the mains.  Even the light twin I fly behaves differently under different loads and wind conditions. Just because there is a slow "unstick" does not mean it's wrong. I actually find it graceful to watch a big bird go airborne in such a manner.

Dan Downs KCRP

It would be awesome if we can have an opinion from a real 737 pilot who uses the pdmg 737 (:

Ricardo Muelle

That one can be me. I'm a real B737 NG pilot ( 700 and 800 ) and even the real plane has it's differences even if you compare two 737-800.

When I fly the 737 NG I can sense some minor differences from the PMDG model but speaking about a home simulator with that level of complexity you can just ignore them. The model is almost 100% accurate. I use it every time I want to study or prepare myself for the recurrent sim sessions. The rotate rate is just about the same of the real plane. Even the differences between the 700 and the 800 are there. Wonderful job from PMDG.

Recently I did the screening for Qatar Airways and passed thanks to PMDG 777. I used the sim to study and got very impressed with the results. We also have some minor differences but nothing to worrie about.

Hope that solves your curiosity. Feel free to ask about anything else.

Good flights to you all.

Moises Brittes.

• Upvote 2

Thank you very much moises and everyone who have posted in this topic, thats the kind of answer i was looking for!!! I just want to ask you one more question :) is it common for other pilots to use addons like the pdmg as a training tool?

I really apreciate your help

Thanks

Ricardo Muelle

Well, that depends basically on the age of the pilot. The newest generation of pilots is very comfortable with technology and we use everything we can to make the study process easier and funnier. I really enjoy being able to see the systems working in FS while I read the manual. It's a lot faster and easier to learn.

Usually the older pilots have more resistance on that kind of approach, but we have exceptions on both groups. At least that's how it works here in Brazil.

Safe and good flights.

Feel free to ask anything else. I'm glad to help.

Moises Brittes

• Upvote 1

So do you think the MD11 is not accurate in that regard? It loves to lift off.

I haven't flown the real MD-11, but got to try the full motion MD-11 simulator at Finnair's flight academy. On takeoff, the PMDG version and the full sim acted completely different.

With the PMDG version, I had gotten into a habit of pushing the nose nose down to steady the climb (after positive rate of climb). With the full motion, I did the same and almost dropped back to runway and got told off by the instructor.

The weights and controls were of course different, but they felt like two different aircraft on takeoff. The landing on the other hand felt oddly similar.

Hi,

Although it's clearly stated that PMDG products and almost (not all of them) FS addons, shouldn't be used for real aviation training, IMO, the true is that addons like PMDG helps a lot to understand the certain airframe logic. Become in a real life B737, B777 or B747 pilot is not only insanely expensive but you need to have a good profile for that, study a lot of theory for your exams and deal with diverse factors that unfortunately (or not) flight simulation will never could bring us (e.g: real fear of deal with heavy cross winds during final approach with 150 real people under your entire responsibility). But the knowledge of systems, some procedures and roughly the understanding about how the machine works is seriously accurate with addons like PMDG. A combo of PMDG B737/777/747v2 + Active Sky Next + Orbx + Vectors + any of those hundreds of ultra detailed airports out there is something really inmersive and with no doubt, something that really could helps in real training. I'll never be an airline pilot (too late for that, very expensive and very happy and satisfied with my professional life) but I'm feel extremely lucky to have flight simulation and the way it allows me to approach into aviation while I'm gettin' tons of fun.

Safe landings captains  B)

• Upvote 1

Ivan Lewis

PMDG B737NGX, B777 and B747v3 QOTS II

I've found that the truth tends to b e in the middle when it comes to using recreational flight simulators for training. Can you learn to fly an airliner professionally by solely using FSX? Probably not. Can FSX be an amazing training aid? Yes.

For every turbine aircraft I've sat training for, I've used some flight simulator to help myself study. I always found using a simulated aircraft greatly helped out memorizing profiles and callouts. Lots of pausing and talking to yourself or a study partner. It's way easier to memorize procedures seeing them carried out than it is to just act them out using a cockpit cutout. There's a reason several Asian carriers have new copilots sit jumpseat and observe before they are allowed to fly. 

I've seen plenty of people use FSX to "study" for checkrides, where they just end up screwing around. These simulations are useful study aids; you do need to study the books to get something out of it.

Joe Sherrill