Sign in to follow this  
SouthportGuy

Planning a Route

Hi,

I've had some trouble planning a route over the past several weeks. As I ask for help please understand, while I know the common (and frustrating answer I get) is "just read the manual", not everyone learns best from a manual. I learn best by reading support materials and then working in conjunction with an instructor.

I had success programming the route and then flying the specific tutotial to Dubai. Upon trying to program my own flight I started having issues.

Product PMDG777

My Route:

CYYZ to CYWG

Skyvector gave me a suggested route of AVSEP2 SSM DCT GOVIT GOVIT4

OK. So in FMC I enter my dep and arrival locations.

Then click"DEP" to choose my runway and SID departure but AVSEP2 is not a valid SID according to my FMC.

So I go ahead and choose ARROW2 as an alternate SID.

I go to pg 2 of my route page to enter the specific waypoints of my route and I get "VECTORS". I don't know how to get around this vectors thing. And when I try to enter an airway it tells me "INVALID ENTRY". How can it be invalid? the Skyvector directions give this specific route. How is it not a valid airway?

In the end, all I'm trying to do is plan and enter my own route into the FMC without any glitches and I have had zero success in doing so.

Are you sure that the AIRAC version you've got installed in the FMC matches the AIRAC version of SkyVector?

If you don't want to update or can't update then get the AIRAC cycle from your FMC and use a route finder like this free one (http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/) which allows you to plan with a specific AIRAC cycle.

If you want to update then you could use this service to do so.

https://www.navigraph.com/fmsdata.aspx

I second Paul. I ran into the same problems when trying to program several tutorial flights. The tutorial's AIRACs were (naturally) out of date.

Both Navigraph and Nav Data Pro are good update services and reasonably priced. I presently use Navigraph and update every other.cycle

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

I have a follow up question:

As indicated above, I became a member of Navigraph. I installed new FMC data and have started using the Charts Cloud.

I planned a route: CYYZ to KORD. The route I got from sky vector was JARVS V2 SVM V116 NEPTS V228 THORR. So I selected my SID but didn't enter my STAR because I was giving a shot at waiting until I was closer to KORD to listen to ATIS, get my available rrunways, then choose a STAR then.

One problem is, as I got close to KORD 60-80nm out I kept trying to get ATIS (135.40) and ATIS never kicked in.

My second problem is, using Navigraph, how can I know which STAR chart is the arrival chart to use? When I bring up the STAR charts I have no idea if the waypoint at the beginning of the STAR is anywhere near the last point in the route above (THORR)?

Not sure why SkyVector gave you that routeing. I never use Skyvector for auto route planning, only for visualising a route I've planned elsewhere.

May I suggest you use the excellent Simbrief.com for all your flight planning needs. As you're a Navigraph subscriber you can get unlock codes from them to use with the free service.

I've just plugged CYYZ > KORD into Simbrief and it gives me predicted departure/arrival runways based on current real weather and it also gives me the SID/STAR for those runways too. It's a great tool and it's the best price too!

Hi, I have about the same problem with navigraph. I have downloaded the new data from navigraph and I have no idea how to make use of it. I am new to virtual flight, I have bought all my gear and I have Xplane 10 running on my computer. I would love to plan a flight and get flying. can anybody help me on how to do that, I do not want to hear "Read the manual" I have done that many times and I cannot get to use "navigraph"! Please help.

Have you installed Navigraph into your sim.?

What type of aircraft are you using.

nebojsa