Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

My version on how to get smooth and stutter free P3D 3.1

Nice post, David! I have the exact same CPU and GPU as you have: now I don't have a single clue why Steve advices those specific affinity settings but I will certainly give it a try, priority and all! Since a few weeks I have pretty good performance already thanks to lowering a few settings but who knows, maybe this makes it even better. Sometimes TrackIR stutters a little and maybe this will help. Thanks again for such a detailed post.

P.S. I also have water effects to off and I love it. It looks more realistic in my eyes than any other water setting.

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for the kind words my friend.

link to Steve regards AM116   http://www.avsim.com/topic/477057-a-frame-time-analysis-of-p3d-v3-effects-of-cpu-affinity-frame-lock-and-ht/?p=3361440

With this set up all the little stutters with TrackIR are gone, I hope it works for you Jeroen as good as it does for me.

I agree with water, I love the way it looks with just clouds and terrain reflections on. I Even turn them two options off when doing a flight when I know I will not see the sea.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

David

What about traffic? I have ut2, would you also set it at specific cores will it help?

Thanks

Mike

I've just migrated to P3Dv3 from 2.5 and am utterly disappointed with performance.

Tried every config and tweak possible and still getting worse fps compared to 2.5 with the same settings and affinity mask. More importantly much less smooth.

Not to mention occasional texture glitches and jetways (default airport ones) that go retarded once in a while.

I just came across your thread and noticed that my settings are almost identical or lower compared to yours except for traffic. I notice you have virtually no traffic. Does it make a big difference in P3Dv3?

AM of 244 was working fine in P3D 2.5 not so much now. Might give 116 a try.

Also does the dynamic reflections affect performance a lot? Its a new thing with 3.1 I think.

Regards

Shanan

i7 4770k at 4.2GHZ and 970 GTX 4GB

Also does the dynamic reflections affect performance a lot? Its a new thing with 3.1 I think.

Yes, it's new with 3.1 and yes it can affect performance a lot. In other topics here people are warned to go easy with that setting. Dynamic reflections forces the system to do yet another render of the entire world around you in a rather complicated way and that can kill performance. I myself have that option turned off because I never ever leave the cockpit so I have no real use for them.

link to Steve regards AM116   http://www.avsim.com...d-ht/?p=3361440

With this set up all the little stutters with TrackIR are gone, I hope it works for you Jeroen as good as it does for me.

Thanks for the link! I will hopefully be able to give it all a try later this week (I am a bit busy with other things, unfortunately).

About Traffic,

I use MT6 and 5% gives loads of AI. 30% is like 100%, I used to use 10% but 5% looks about the same. (@20% I was always doing go arounds)

@Mike

I've forgot to see if I can change the cores it uses, will have a look.

@Shanan

I have Dynamic reflections OFF, I don't need it from the VC. 

@Elaine

Thanks.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I've just migrated to P3Dv3 from 2.5 and am utterly disappointed with performance.

Tried every config and tweak possible and still getting worse fps compared to 2.5 with the same settings and affinity mask. More importantly much less smooth.

Not to mention occasional texture glitches and jetways (default airport ones) that go retarded once in a while.

I just came across your thread and noticed that my settings are almost identical or lower compared to yours except for traffic. I notice you have virtually no traffic. Does it make a big difference in P3Dv3?

AM of 244 was working fine in P3D 2.5 not so much now. Might give 116 a try.

Regards

Shanan

i7 4770k at 4.2GHZ and 970 GTX 4GB

I have a simular setup running at 4.7ghz without hyperthreading. I upgraded lately to 2400mhz DDR3 ram and it gave me a boost of 6-8fps and the sim has never been this smooth.

I can live with minimums at 25-30fps in the hardest regions.

I do have higher settings than David but it fits nicely.

There is only one region where i for now is not using complex PMDGS and that is at FTX SCA but this can overcomed with GA.

Having 51fps at gate A20 at FT EKCH in the NGX cold and dark even with low dynamic reflections and there latest updatw with traffic is actually quite satisfactoring.

So something must be wrong on your installation.

REX

ASN

OPENLCEU

UTX 2.1

FTX GLOBAL

MT6 AT 5%

HD2048

1920X1200

I7-4770K@4.7

GTX970SC (sometimes in SLI only GA and terrain shadows and building shadows at big places like RPLL)

16GB 2400 DDR3

Thanks Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

@J Van E

Ahh I see. I have it on low. Not sure if its affecting performance.

@David

It doesn't affect anything from the VC you mean? I've noticed slower texture loading when switching to outside views and occasional glitching in textures (especially airport textures).

Oh and AM 116 seems to work quite well with my system thanks for the suggestion.

@Michael

Yes I'm beginning to think so too. It's slightly better with the PMDG 737 and 777 but horrible with the Airbus. Also I've noticed a weird cursor bug, it artifacts and duplicates a mini cursor beside itself whenever I hover over any clickable instruments or the MCDU/FMC buttons. This happens with all the planes. I'm not sure if this is causing the drop in fps. And the texture glitches outside the aircraft (airports/buildings/taxiways/runways).

I tried running with HT off but saw no noticeable difference other than slower loading,  and turned it back on. It's extremely warm in my country so I cannot go above 4.2ghz without increasing the temperatures significantly.

Considering an upgrade to the i7 6700k, will see how it goes.

All that being said, the low fps and stutters might just be the shader cache slowly building itself up. My P3Dv2.5 wasn't amazing out of the box either.

How can we expect smooth P3D performance with two of the hardest hitting settings set to MAX? (Tessellation and Level of Detail Radius)

Those are killers right there, especially the LOD.

First, this is what works...

Awesome job David.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

@Steve.

Thanks you Steve, from you that means a lot.  :smile:

@Glenn

How can we expect smooth P3D performance with two of the hardest hitting settings set to MAX? (Tessellation and Level of Detail Radius)

Those are killers right there, especially the LOD.

"We" ? who is "we"?

For you Glenn they might be? and that's why my first line was

First, this is what works for me on a 4790k@4.6, GTX 780 with 6GB.

and I ended with

Like always it's finding what works for you.

But if your PC was anything like mine....

Fly tampa Corfu, Every options turned ON(Auto gen gone mad), How does 140+ FPS with clear sky sound? "Killers" I think not. Not for FPS or VAS or how about aerosofts EGLL stand 538 facing east very hard on FPS everything on ASN etc PMDG 777 and 40+ FPS sound? (EGLL below looks like clear sky but it was not just looked like it in screen show, Corfu was with no ASN and clear sky.

Sorry there "killers" for you Glenn. but that's sadly you, not "we" who ever you think "we" are and I don't even have a killer PC like Rob. 

See below with Fraps on.

140.jpg

egll.jpg

That was the royal 'we' David.  :P

Have a good one.

Are I see the Royal we : )