Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

My version on how to get smooth and stutter free P3D 3.1

Ah, well, okay, I might try your recommended settings anyway, then. ;) P3D=116 and ASN=194. Should I set TrackIR to 194 too? And any other addon? (Just bought the Flight1 GTN 750: I will have to check if that one loads anything in the background outside of P3D too.) Thanks for all the tips and explanations. And the patience. ;)

Let us all know how the two different setting work for you Jeroen, as am not getting much chance to fly atm.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Ah, well, okay, I might try your recommended settings anyway, then. ;) P3D=116 and ASN=194. Should I set TrackIR to 194 too? And any other addon? (Just bought the Flight1 GTN 750: I will have to check if that one loads anything in the background outside of P3D too.) Thanks for all the tips and explanations. And the patience. ;)

Remember that 116 is for four core HT enabled when one wants particularly to reserve a core for an addon. Otherwise use 85 and spread addons around avoiding core zero.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Much feedback over this HT/AM subject suggests a lot of you are getting it, and a lot more are using (not wasting) their expensive HT mode as well now. Well done chaps!

I only wish there was some way to reduce the blurry textures after setting up an AM. Still haven't found a setting to get me the same consistent sharp textures I get without any AM.

So you running a dual core no HT?

Or maybe a four core?

Guys, if you've got a 4 core no HT, virtually any AM will reduce performance, use no AM. AMs are only used to Mask LPs. If you've got HT available on that 4 core (and not going for GHz world records) enable it and use 85, that cannot possibly be worse than 4 core HT off no AM. But HT On trips up other apps in the same way as it does the sim. Instead, look at the addons and control where they run.

After Installing P3D3.1 with extensive OrbX scenery on my Windows 10 i7-5820K (HT on, overclocked to 4,5 GHz), I did some test runs under controlled conditions with different affinity mask settings (1360, 1364, 4092, 4094, 4084, 1012, and a few others), as I got some stuttering on my normal detail settings in the heavier OrbX areas.

Some of the AF values obviously helped a bit with stuttering and stable framerates, but every value that did so also led to blurry textures above a certain speed, when the plane "outruns" the speed of texture loading in front of it.

Is there any known relationship betweeen AF settings and blurry textures? Currently, I had to remove the AF settings in my CFG, because with lower framerates, at least my textures were staying sharp.

I've done most testing on a 6 core and I'm unable to beat 4 straight cores with HT enabled, with any kind of setup. So I would suggest that 1360 would work well.

4094=(11,11,11,11,11,10), whereas no AM=(11,11,11,11,11,11). I would say 4094 works better that No AM every day of the week. Either of these cannot outclass 1360.

If the main sim job is really holding out for the data collecting jobs, how can adding more jobs improve matters? They are already queuing up for file access. My deduction is that you are experiencing some other problem.

It's not easy to understand, but 340 is subtly different to 1360 (on the 6 core HT enabled), in the way addons are spread by the jobscheduler. Give that a go.

I pulled out these those two AMs tested for good reasons:

4094=(11,11,11,11,11,10)

AM=0=(11,11,11,11,11,11)

With No AM vs 4094. No AM, the first core, core zero, hosts sim jobs 1 and 2 on LPs 0 and 1. So core zero is shared between job 1 that likes to floor it, and job 2 which dawdles along a bit unless really wound up. So if job 2 is at 20% and job 1 is asking for 100%, it's only getting 80%. This gives time to the background tasks (in an undesirable sawtooth fashion) and increases the instability in the fps. The vast number of jobs running with these AMs robs us of available VAS, and increases heat considerably.

Stalling the main thread can help with the blurries in some situations, but overall the sim could run better.

Instead of adding cores to save blurriness, which seems not to help, keep to 4 LPs and try giving the sim more time to the background tasks - example: FFTF=0.4

Stalling the main thread can help with the blurries in some situations, but overall the sim could run better.

Instead of adding cores to save blurriness, which seems not to help, keep to 4 LPs and try giving the sim more time to the background tasks - example: FFTF=0.4

Thanks for your help, I'll try playing around with that FFTF value in my next tweaking session!  :smile:

Let us all know how the two different setting work for you Jeroen, as am not getting much chance to fly atm.

Only did one flight with the 'other' setting so it might be circumstances and whatever but it seemed that your setup from the OP worked better on my PC: with Steve's settings you quoted I had a few hickups: nothing to write home about but I didn't have them with your settings. Add to that the fact that things were fine as they were already (even without AM!) and I think I am back to your settings from the OP, using PL. As I said before: I am done testing, in all honesty, and simply want to enjoy my flight. When you are testing things like this you tend to focus too much on what's happening and within no time you see everything that you don't see when you simply enjoy the flight. :wink: But still, thanks for this topic because I do think things are ever so slightly better and perhaps even a lot more better and circumstances I have yet to come across. 

with Steve's settings you quoted I had a few hickups: nothing to write home about

What settings caused problems? What HT/AM settings have you settled on? P3D AM=116 and all addons on 194?

I am done testing

Testing will give you a headache. :Hypnotized:

What settings caused problems? What HT/AM settings have you settled on? P3D AM=116 and all addons on 194?

Testing will give you a headache. :Hypnotized:

I settled for P3D AM=116 and addons on 139 (10,00,10,11). As I said, it could well be 194 works just as well or even better in certain circumstances but during my last flight I got some stutters (just a few) with 194 which I didn't have before. And yes, testing will give you a headache and that's why I went from FSX to P3D... only to find myself testing again. :wink:

I settled for P3D AM=116 and addons on 139 (10,00,10,11)

I wouldn't recommend that because you are asking several programs to contend with the main sim thread on core 1, which was the reason to move the main sim job to core 1 in the first place...

When we use the AM=116=(01,11,01,00) we've put the main sim job on core 1. We don't need to unmask any addons onto LPs 2 and 3 because addons start and stop esp. weather. Plus the system will use them anyway. Instead we unmask basically anything else or we run the risk of sawtoothing the main thread.

Even AM 243 would go better with 116:

AM=116=(01,11,01,00)

AM=243=(11,11,00,11)

But to utilise HT now we switched it on we can put the weather on 243

AM=243=(11,11,00,10)

this also gives bandwidth to the weather engine and UI

and the other addons on 241

AM=241=(11,11,00,01)

So we have:

AM=116=(01,11,01,00)

AM=243=(11,11,00,10)

AM=241=(11,11,00,01)

...then...if we want to give more bandwidth to the sim background tasks and take a bit of bandwidth away from the addons we can mask a few bits over:

AM=116=(01,11,01,00)

AM=146=(10,01,00,10)

AM=145=(10,01,00,01)

:)

OK so why use 116 over 85 on the 4 core HT enabled? Well some weather or trackers may only ever run at 10% whatever it does, another may ask for 100% at times. So with the latter we prefer to use 116 since it leaves an entire core free for those. If we have the apps that never pull more than 10% or 20% we can mix them all up with the sim on 85.

Sim AM=85=(01,01,01,01)

Add AM=248=(11,11,10,00)