Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

My version on how to get smooth and stutter free P3D 3.1

I had this problem, Shanan. I reinstalled and it seems okay now. I don't know if it was any coincidence but when I tried to adjust the affinity for internet explorer in process lasso that's when I was getting the lock ups. Without doing that it seems fine. So my advice would be check what programs affinity you have messed with.

I had this problem, Shanan. I reinstalled and it seems okay now. I don't know if it was any coincidence but when I tried to adjust the affinity for internet explorer in process lasso that's when I was getting the lock ups. Without doing that it seems fine. So my advice would be check what programs affinity you have messed with.

Thanks. I guess I was trying too hard as I assigned all other programs to Core 0 and 1 so that they wouldn't conflict with P3D. But I guess that was too many threads running on 2 cores.

Now I just set P3D and addons to the cores I want them to be on.

That's exactly what I did. Just strictly set P3D and addons :).

Installed Process Lasso just now, so easy and so good.  :smile: 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

David

Now using process lasso, do you now remove affinity mask from cfg?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

I've dragged myself "kicking and screaming" back to P3D 3.1 (for a month).

Installed Project Lasso. Appears to work very well "out of the box". Smooth and FPS (limited externally to 60 in GPU Tweak) - appears more stable.

Thank you for the tip!

Adam

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

AffinityMask:

P3D 116=(01,11,01,00)=74=2,4,5,6

ASN 139=(10,00,10,11)=8B=0,1,3,7

My recommendations:

P3D 116=(01,11,01,00)=74=2,4,5,6

ASN 194=(11,00,00,10)=C2=1,6,7

P3D 85=(01,01,01,01)=55=0,2,4,6

ASN 248=(11,11,10,00)=F8=3,4,5,6

These give more "width" to the JobScheduler and network i/o and provide ASN full core bandwidth when required.

all those extras can go on 3073=(11,00,00,00,00,01)=C01=0,10,11

so you can also run ASN on C02

Hi Steve

So are you recommending to just use ASN with these settings and use 0,1,3,7 for the rest ie ezca and trackir like on David's original post?

Cheers

And what if we decide to run ASN as a LAN client? What impact does that have on our flying machine's CPU cycles...as opposed to running locally? What about the frame rate hit of OpusFSI v ASN running with the same number of cloud layers?

Regards to out cynical, but probably >90% correct, iconoclastIc, mystery history guest, et al.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

And what if we decide to run ASN as a LAN client? What impact does that have on our flying machine's CPU cycles...as opposed to running locally? What about the frame rate hit of OpusFSI v ASN running with the same number of cloud layers?

Regards to out cynical, but probably >90% correct, iconoclastIc, mystery history guest, et al.

Chas

I run ASN on LAN and have good performance (also dont know how much of a hit CPU local is using)all though a test in VHHX Hong Kong yesterday,  the weather was really bad and i saw a 22% hit on fps even in SLI with cloudlayers at 5 but also with enhanced overcast vs fair weather.

Everything maxed out except terrain shadows , even every water reflections (SLI was sitting at at 55-65%)

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

And what if we decide to run ASN as a LAN client? What impact does that have on our flying machine's CPU cycles...as opposed to running locally?

Good question. The networking is always running hot with FSX/P3D and simconnect addons. However when they are on the same node they have loopback bandwidth, that is to say unrestricted by the network infrastructure and switching. And so a client PC with comms back to your FS server increases background work on the server (and client) requiring good server multi-threading performance i.e. Hyperthreading.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Good question. The networking is always running hot with FSX/P3D and simconnect addons. However when they are on the same node they have loopback bandwidth, that is to say unrestricted by the network infrastructure and switching. And so a client PC with comms back to your FS server increases background work on the server (and client) requiring good server multi-threading performance i.e. Hyperthreading.

I have ASN on my client.

You will see the difference at the moment ASN is downloading the weather and preparing the weather injetion into Fs.

When you have high settings in Fs you will see jitters/stutters the moment aSN is doing the above. 

I tried ASN both it on my server and on my client.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

David

Now using process lasso, do you now remove affinity mask from cfg?

Thanks

I left AM in config. 

I went back to taking TrackIR/EZDOC and ASN off any cores used by P3D and that works best for me. Having said that it's more TrackIR IMO that needs to be split of from P3D.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I left AM in config.

It is best to allow the sim to start with its own affinity configuration in the .cfg. FSX and P3D do not reorganise in the same way if the AM is altered or task manager is used to move jobs.

If the application handles it's own affinity then it is best to let it do it, other apps can be run with the .bat I provided, or utilising such apps as Process Lasso.

Great, that clears that up Steve.

I will leave the AM in config.

The other point I forgot to mention is that we should take care to use a *minimum of two LPs per app*, and three could be helpful since we have a lot of networking and disk i/o.

Eyes gloss over mode: Even apps like weather engines respond in the same manner as FSX and P3D with respect to the first job. The first job is usually best allocated it's own core with HT enabled, in other words we would mask one of the first two LPs allocated so that the second job moves to the next core, not just the next LP on the first core. Even so, if that's all we have the first and perhaps only two jobs can be allocated to the two LPs of one core more effectively than (by the way) allocating one core with HT disabled.

So if you peel back the logic of those 4 core recommendations I posted earlier, you can see that i'm really only avoiding the first sim job, rather than trying to restrict the app to using few cores.

Been checking out this post and the frame time analysis and thought I'd pop in to say a big thanks to SteveW and Nyxx for their settings and knowledge. Quite new to P3D (coming from XPX) so this has been extremely helpful in getting my system up to speed.

By the way - Process Lasso - WOW. What a neat software tool, looking at it beyond just P3D  :smile: