Sign in to follow this  
Fadec89

Prepar3D v3.1

Hello Captains! I had a CTD today while flying in VATSIM network. I use Prepar3d v3.1 and PMDG 737-800 with FS2CREW. Some weaks ago I had two CTDs with FS2CREW, but I saw FS2CREW fault modules in the system report. The two latest CTDs has only PREPAR3D fault module so I have no idea what it this.

I had this CTD today

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: BEX
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Prepar3D.exe
P2: 3.1.2.15831
P3: 5672b60a
P4: StackHash_0a9e
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 00000000
P7: 00000000
P8: c0000005
P9: 00000008
P10: 

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\ISS\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Prepar3D.exe_9be61a22b503df2351207eda18cc2d44bddc9_20bbfbcd

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: bd83ca21-c2aa-11e5-a3e8-c86000094fef
Report Status: 0
Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 3.1.2.15831, time stamp: 0x5672b60a
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0x1bb4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d156ace07d04d0
Faulting application path: D:\FS\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: bd83ca21-c2aa-11e5-a3e8-c86000094fef
Application: Prepar3D.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00000000

You had a Buffer_Exception_Overrun (BEX) and a StackHash.  Do we know what causes a StackHash?  No.  Here's what the AVSIM CTD Guide (see link to the guide in my signature) states:

BEX – For more information click on the following - Buffer Exception Overrun or Buffer Overrun. See also StackHash and NTDLL.dll discussions. 

StackHash – See also BEX and NTDLL.dll above. There is no module on your computer system named StackHash so no need to look for it. If the StackHash is shown as the faulting module, it will have four characters next to it like StackHash_0a9e.  That represents the memory address of where the fault occurred. Do not try to look for it.  You will not find it. There is no known solution (except one) to BEX/StackHash errors other than reinstalling Windows and FSX but some have accidently fixed their problem by lowering fsx/display driver settings, rebuilding the FSX.cfg, changing voltages/overclocking settings in the BIOS, disabling all scenery add-ons in the Scenery Library, and/or shutting down FSX only in Windowed Mode and starting up in Windowed Mode but never in Full Screen.

The information shows FSX.  Just change the information above to P3D as it applies to P3D too.  Personally, I would move my P3D.cfg, dll.xml, exe.xml and scenery.cfg to a temporary folder, restarting P3D and seeing if this fixes the problem (it will).  You then start moving the files back starting with the dll.xml and exe.xml.  Still no problems, then move the scenery.cfg back.  If still no problems, then the fault was in your P3D.cfg (probably a bufferpool or affinity mask tweak not properly employed).  I'm guessing though.

I would also suggest running the scanning tool to find and replace corrupted files - SFC /scannow:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I would apply some pre-requisites to be sure the underlying system behaves correctly for your P3D v3.1/PMDG set-up. May or may not help, but I can paste some notes to have a look at:

Install all three legacy FSX simconnect versions found in \redist, RTM 60905, SP1 61242, XPACK 61259. Make sure the P3D ESP simconnect is also in place, although it should install with the product. These won't add any weight or overhead to the sim, no matter how many versions exist on the system.

Irrespective of whether the sim is installed to the default location, or installed to a user created folder, on the system or on another drive, add Modify permission for the Users group on that program installed folder, and very possibly the folders of other installed addons you may use. It may seem odd to require this, but addons that write to the program files folder of an installed application, whether that be in the windows \program files\ location or a user created folder, may find one day they don't have permission *even when running as admin*. Permissions to installed apps can alter if something happens to the user profile. Installing in another folder appears to work fine and may never fail in many systems. But for such a small setting to make it's not worth the risk of leaving it. When we add the Modify permission, the Write permission is usually automatically checked with that and should be enabled. Do not take full control or ownership, as these can lead to problems down the road.

If we run the sim "as admin" we *must* make sure other apps to do with the sim are run as admin as well. Even non-secure functions may not actually acquire permission to go ahead with unmatched privileges between apps. One of the reasons it is better to set permission correctly rather than rely on Run as Admin operation with user mode security. Incorrectly set permissions can alter performance unnecessarily too.

Make sure the affinity mask enables 4 logical processors for the sim if possible. So for example a four core non HT CPU won't need an AM since there no need to mask any processors. But with a four core HT enabled CPU there would be 8 processors in that case, requiring at least an AM=85=(01,01,01,01) or AM=170=(10,10,10,10). We do this because without an AM in this situation the sim would split into 8 jobs. On a 4-5GHz CPU 4 jobs are better than 5 or 3. And so, allowing more than four logical processors (HT On or Off) may be a mistake in terms of performance, but will rob the system of available memory or VAS and can cause issues for some systems. With 6 core or more it's the same thing, allocate 4 LPs HT On or Off. Leaving a core free may be an option for 4 core CPUs, and allows the jobscheduler to target a lesser used core, it doesn't matter which core is masked so HT Off AM=14 or HT On AM=116 are found to work well which mask the first core 14=(1110), 116=(01,11,01,00).

Make sure the dll.xml is good and contains the correct entries, same goes for exe.xml.

Try a default .cfg, and maybe even try a default or stock only scenery setup.

Make sure the default flight is made with a stock plan. Prepar3D.cfg:
[uSERINTERFACE]
SITUATION=C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D_Default

Start the sim to the scenario screen then load the plane, rather than using Explorer to right-click on a saved flight file (fxml), since starting into a saved flight may not work as intended with some aircraft.

None of that may solve your particular problem but they are a good starting point to a well installed system.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com