Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pbelb

747v2 Touch Tablet capable?

Appologies if this topic has been answered already, but:

will the 747v2 have any kind of improved or existing support for touch tablets being used to perform such functions as the FMC?

this being able to be on a dedicated, touch capable device, would be a very nice capability.

regards,

peter belbin.

Both the 777 and NGX are already capable of this, but you need a 3rd party app such as Virtual CDU in order to make it work.  Since the developer already has a 744 version available for a competing product line, I expect it is likely that they will update it to be compatible with PMDG's variant.  Their NGX version works on multiple sims of this aircraft.  I am not affiliated with them, but have used these products for a couple of years now, and highly recommend them.  See below:

http://www.virtualavionics.com.br/va/en/14-applications

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones

Andrew,

thank you for the pointer.  I see on their web site, that they do not support PMDG products, at least not for the 747.

I'm definitely interested in this, to add another layer of usability.

which of this type are known/supported for use with the PMDG aircraft??

Thanks for posting that.  Was unfamiliar with Remote CDU.  I can see that it is cheaper.  How is it better?

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones

Just two examples why it is better:

1. You can use multiple devices with a single license. I use an iPad and an iPhone. This way you can access the left and right CDU at the same time with your mobile devices.

2. The NGX version of Virtual CDU (which I own because when I purchased it, Mark Foti's version wasn't avalable yet) cannot display colored text. This is extremely annoying e.g. when accessing the "Ground connections" page. It is simply unusable without the coloring. Very frustrating for such an expensive piece of software.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

For whatever its worth, my virtual CDU, both NGX and 777, work fine with multiple devices on a single license.  I will concede the second point.  I also am frustrated that VCDU does not give any discount for customers who have purchase the product for more than one aircraft.  You are right; the asking price is a little steep, although in the beginning, when they were the only game in town, it was well worth it for such a niche product.   I am all for competition and may give the 744/748 versions of RCDU a try when they become available.

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones

Ok. Fair enough. It might work with multiple devices but the Virtual CDU app only works on tablets. So there is no version for the iPhone. Lucky you if you own multiple tablets. I don't. And I guess a lot of people don't. Even though a smartphone display is a bit small to really operate the CDU, it is just fine, for example, to have the doors page up and open/close doors. And that comes at no extra cost with Mark Foti's app. I own his version of the 777 CDU and I can honestly not see any difference in usability or speed (compared to the NGX version of Virtual CDU). I agree that back in time when Virtual CDU was the only game in town, the price was still worth it. Now it is simply too steep and I won't buy it anymore. But to each his own...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Sounds like an Apple-specific issue.  I have the VCDU app working both on an Android tablet and an Android smartphone simultaneously.  Never had a problem with it in that regard.

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

42%
    $10,690.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now