Sign in to follow this  
Moe

No REX textures with ASN

I am using FSX-SE and installed from Steam ASN. I previously (in 2012) purchased REX Essentials for my old Pd3v1.4 setup (long since abandoned).

Frustrated with almost no clouds showing up in my new build even with ASN I re-downloaded and installed to the correct path my old REX old 2012. After installation I get a few cirrus clouds but no real amount of cloud cover. Is it possible that that ols REX is simply incompatible with FSX-SE? Is my best hope to install REX Textures Direct from Steam?

My system is an AMD FX 8320 @3.87 Ghz , 8GB ram, Video Card is an ATI T7 265 2GB D5 OC, Track IR

Software W7 64, FSX-SE, ASN-SE, REX Essentials, ORBX Australia SP4, UTX Canada V2, Simaddons 38 Airports for all of Atlantic Canada, 20 Downloaded airports from here and Flight sim.com for Atlantic Canada and Maine, from Steam Lukla, Nook, Australian adventure pack.

Thanks for any help you folks can offer.

Moe 

REX3 and 4 play nice with ASN and FSX-SE. Have you checked the REX forum to see if they have any  patches available that you don't have? 

As far as I can tell you, ASN just tells FSX what types of clouds to put where, and it's up to FSX to use the correct cloud texture. It's up to the REX software to put the correct textures into FSX for the types of clouds that you picked. So. Either the textures aren't there, or ASN isn't telling FSX to draw clouds.

Turn ASN off, and see if setting the built in FSX weather generator to a rainy or cloudy day. If you get REX clouds there, ASN isn't doing something. Have you installed SP4 for ASN? 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

When I downloaded Rex the other day it was the latest version 3.4 something. I tried a manual weather setting in rex with ASN off and did not have much luck. I'm not sure if I did it right. Will try what I did back in my P2D days and run REX with real world weather. I think I am ultimately going to have to spend the money and re-purchase REX again hoping a newer version will work better. Perhapse the REX textures direct from Steam. That's got to install correctly and work with FSX-SE seeing all three would be from Steam right?

Just sucks that I am facing purchasing something again that I already have.

Moe

Why would you have to spend more money on re-purchasing REX?  Your license should allow you to update REX.  May I suggest that you read the manuals for each of the programs.  

Ensure all the paths are correct and then select and apply the textures using the REX interface.  You can use either REX or ASN to generate weather, make sure to run your programs as admin.

If you need help with ASN be sure to drop by the forum for help http://www.hifisimtech.com/forums/forum.php or submit a ticket:

http://hifisupport.kayako.com/Tickets/Submit

\Robert Hamlich/

As MDFlier noted, ASN is not supposed to conflict with REX as long as both are installed correctly.

I myself had reservations about how FSX:SE integrated Steam DLCs...As if FSX's folder structure is not already complex enough. Haven't bought anything from there aside from a couple of addon aircrafts, and (thankfully!) those worked all right.

Also make sure weather theme is set to the one ASN came with. The one time my weather showed anything close to what you described it was set to default fair weather with ASN running in the background, resulting in no clouds beyond very small distance from aircraft while descending in some heavy IMC.

If all else fails, do a clean reinstall with all fresh cfgs if possible.

Just sucks that I am facing purchasing something again that I already have.

You best  bet  should  have  been is  to post your  issue  at the rex  forum

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I usually find ASN overrides any native FSX setting and injects its weather unless turned off. The REX textures should be there. I would advise switching ASN off to test it. Using a basic weather setting in native FSX to see if you have normal cloud coverage. . 

So I did some troubleshooting. I ran FSX-SE without ASN running and selected a few bad weather themes within FSX. No clouds to speak of. Then I ran REX without ASN and selected a few bad weather themes within REX. A few very flat clouds at 14,000 but not the storms I selected. Then I gave in and uninstalled REX Essentials. Purchased and installed REX 4 Textures Direct from Steam. After installation attempts to run the REX controller causes crashes of REX. However the clods seem slightly larger in square area when running ASN but still only at 14,000 ish and still the height of a sheet of paper. Oh well it's my lo$$. All along I continue to have improved textures from REX in all regards other than clouds. Clouds... the main reason for REX. I get low vis from a fog style on approach and I get all the nice sun, taxiway markings, water etc from REX and all the winds, turbulence etc from ASN but no damn clouds.

When is Dovetails new sim come out?

Moe

Hi Moe,

There might be something wrong with the ASN.wx files and it could be as simple as you not installing as administrator.  Have you followed my suggestion and posted at the ActiveSkyNext forum or submitted a ticket?  This can all be resolved in little or no time. 

Forum:  http://www.hifisimtech.com/forums/forum.php

Support Ticket:  http://hifisupport.kayako.com/Tickets/Submit

\Robert Hamlich/

After spending 14 hours working on this today. Yes, a day off work spent banging my head on a keyboard. I finally solved this. As it turns out REX Essentials, ASN, was not the problem. I had corrupted files within FSX-SE. Can't say why but Steam reinstalled FSX-SE after running a diagnostic tool from them. All settings were left the same. It turns out REX 4 Textures direct from Steam is not all that user friendly to install. A look at the support forum there shows lots of guys having trouble. Turns out one must install REX, run it, shut it down, run FSX, shut it down, run REX again and shut it down then ASN. All this is somewhat discouraging. If anyone ever has this trouble look at the pinned support subject there. After all this trouble I now have all the effects I was looking for. Thanks to all that helped. FYI I had support tickets to all the companies.

Moe 

That's awesome Moe, glad that you got it sorted out.  Happy flying!

\Robert Hamlich/