Sign in to follow this  
flyforever

Tuning the ILS

The manual makes reference to it, yet what I've already tried does not provide me with the ability the tune in an ILS in the MU2.

Can someone provide me with the 3 basic steps after dialing the frequency?

thanks

tony

No one? I can't believe that tuning the ILS would be so cryptic on this aircraft. I've tried to follow the manual very closely, but the ILS appears dead--no matter what I do. The gps works fine, but I hope someone will enlighten me on how to tune the ILS. 

I bring the craft right at the beginning of the ILS beam, the radio is tuned, and then I press App button.

Still, nothing happens from this point on.

tony

Don't have the MU2 but is there a specific panel switch or avionics selection for GPS or NAV (ILS or VOR)  or do you have to bind a controller button or key command to accomplish the same? If you can select the correct frequency and hear the morse code ident it might be the problem. I have had to do that with some aircraft models that do not have a specific panel or avionics GPS/NAV switch to make the selection for the navigation source.

Gary Stewart

If you are not flying a GPS approach, make sure you switch to NAV with the correct ILS Freq before selecting the App button?

Works fine here! P.S. Have the Flight 1 GTN 750 installed.

Cheers

Martin

I am using the model with the gps 530. I don't know, but the ILS features appear unresponsive.

Other than the mode buttons, there has to be some other operation that I am missing. I am a very experienced simmer, so this is frustrating.

tony

So you do have the NAV selected on the GPS with the correct ILS freq turned into NAV 1 prior to selecting App? What ILS are you doing and I'll try it with my rig and see what happens?

Cheers

Martin

Yes, I do have the Nav selected . I was trying to fly the Malpensa 34 L approach.

Also, what I notice is that when I press VS button, the plane goes into an uncontrollable dive.

I reinstall it, but still no fix.

tony

How are you selecting NAV mode?  Just having the correct frequency active is not enough.  You need to be sure you're pressing the CDI button on the GPS which is what determines whether GPS or the tuned NAV frequency drives the HSI (and autopilot).  If you're in GPS mode you'll see GPS displayed, if you're in NAV mode, as you need to be, you'll see VLOC.

Scott

Edit: Not my image so passing along a link which shows the button and the display above it reading GPS.  Press this to toggle to VLOC.  http://sportysnetwork.com/airfacts/wp-content/blogs.dir/13/files/2013/05/530-with-circle.jpg

You got it Scott! In all of my generic gps flying, this was never an issue. The gps CDI was never a factor in flying an approach. Apparently, the MU2 does. Thank you very much. I was ready to send it to Arizona, in the aircraft cemetary.

tony

Glad I could help, Tony.  Just FYI, though, things work this way in every 530 equipped plane I've ever flown.  And it is, in fact, the correct real-world operation for the 530.

Enjoy,

Scott

I believe you, Scott. In fact, I've learned something new. One more question. The Gps default flight plan is KSEA on free flight-- regardless of what airport I start. How does one reset it without creating a flight plan?  

tony

Setting Nav/VOR on the GPS means you select the CDI for either VOR or GPS, not sure how that was never a problem before. They all work pretty much the same as Scott mentions.  But yes, it's a leaning process, even if you are a "very experienced simmer".  :wink:

Cheers

Martin

Tony, perhaps someone a bit more familiar with default-style 530's can help.  I've been using the RXP 430 and 530 for years now, so I don't recall some of the flight planning quirks of the somewhat limited default units.  I assume you'd simply go to the FLP page and key in a new identifier, but perhaps you need to at least enter a simple FSX flight plan.  Sorry, it's just been too long.

Scott

The simplest way to alter the flight plan in the default units is to just make the change in the flight planner menu and the click OK. The default units have such limited functionality that it's almost painful trying to navigate with them.

Joe - Chief Pilot & Lead Tester - Flysimware Simulation Software

Captain - Gulfstream IV-SP

ATP/CFI/AGI/EMB-505/LR-JET/G-IV