Sign in to follow this  
Travis Carney

Only half of throttle range being used, and can't configure it directly in P3D v3

I'll preface this by saying it's likely that I'm missing something obvious here, since I haven't been able to find anyone else with this exact problem. :)

There are two issues here that are probably related. The first is I'm unable to set up a throttle directly in Prepar3D from the control settings. I can set the prop and mixture in there just fine, but not the throttle. This isn't a huge problem, since I normally set the controls through FSUIPC anyway, but I thought it might be relevant.

When I do set up the throttle through FSUIPC, it doesn't work if I use the "send direct to FSUIPC calibration" action. So I can't use FSUIPC to calibrate the throttle. I have to use "send to FS as normal axis." Again, this is only the case with the throttle. Prop, mixture and everything else work fine when calibrated through FSUIPC. Based on this post from Pete Dowson, there may not currently be a way to use the FSUIPC calibration: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/80199-important-fsuipc-calibration-of-axes-in-p3d-version-30/
If that's the case, they haven't fixed the issue in v3.1.

So configured as "send to FS," there's no way to set the range of the throttle, and when I use it, only half of the range is being used. I slide the throttle forward, and it doesn't start registering until about half way up. The reason for this is P3D v3 seems to be using the lower half of the range as a thrust reverser. Obviously I don't need a thrust reverser in a light GA airplane, and this functionality is actually really frustrating to use in something that does use it, like the NGX, since there's no easy way to pull the throttle to idle without accidentally activating the reversers.

So I guess the question is, is there a way to turn off that reverser functionality in P3D?

One other thing to note is this isn't hardware specific. I see the same issue with three different throttles. The issue is unique to v3+. I didn't have it in 2.5.

Thanks for any insight anyone may have!

Travis

P3D v3.1.2.15831

FSUIPC v4.949

Offending throttles: Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant, Saitek TPM, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

Do you have joysticks disabled in P3D? I use a ch yoke, throttle quadrant and Saitekj X52 and Saitek X55 with P3d and have all controls including throttle mapped through FSUIPC. However I have all joyusticks disabled inb P3D.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yes, I have all of the controllers disabled in P3D. There doesn't seem to be a way to enable them individually. If you click enable on one, it's selected for all of them, so I just leave it off.

Alot of us had that problem since 3.0. I have a throttletek737 and Saitek yoke+pedals and i was able to use FSUIPC for directly calibration as you describe. Since 3.1 there is a calibration option now inside P3D.

My rudder in 3.0 was also a mess but now with 3.1 it works with P3D own calibration setup

Search the LM forum and this forum for throttle and calibration

As i recall you need to set and assign the axis page first inside FSUIPC before moving to the calibration page

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Hmm, I did play with the new calibration briefly, but since I wasn't able to configure the device directly in P3D, I didn't mess with it too much. But if that calibration is still effective, even if I have it set up through FSUIPC, I'll take another look at that.

It just seems odd to me that P3D would introduce a completely new throttle functionality (i.e. having the back half of the throttle control reversers), and not see very much complaining about it online. I would think this would mess everyone up, but that doesn't seem to be the case. That's why I thought maybe I was missing something obvious, like a setting to turn that off, but I haven't been able to find one.

No luck with that calibration setting, by the way. Nothing I do seems to correct the range. Back to the drawing board.

No luck with that calibration setting, by the way. Nothing I do seems to correct the range. Back to the drawing board.

What about your axis assignment inside the FSUIPC for the throttle?

Post a picture from the assignment and calibration page and i will check my own throttle quadrant for you.

You need to be sure 100% you have no axis inside the P3D normal control menu

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Thanks, I'll take a screenshot tonight when I get home. Since it only works when set to "send to FS," it's not using the calibration tab, but I'll take a screenshot of how I had it set when I was trying to get it working that way.

With Prepar3D v.2.0, when I first assigned the mixture and propeller controls to two of my Saitek axis, neither one gave a full range of adjustments. Instead I was limited to 19 to 81% (instead of 0 to 100%). 

This was what I did to have a  full range for my assigned Propeller and Mixture axis: under the Controllers, Calibration tab, I changed the default sensitivity from 64 to 127 (max). I haven't yet upgraded to v.3.0 yet, so I cannot know if this may or may not be a solution to your throttle issue, but I just figured that I should at least suggest this.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Thanks, Arwen. When I was searching the forums for this problem, I ran into a ton of posts from people with that same issue. I never had a problem with 2.0/2.5. The problem I'm seeing is kind of the opposite of that, where the simulator doesn't use the whole range of the throttle rather than the throttle not controlling the whole range of the sim. I did mess around a lot with those sensitivity settings though, but alas, no luck.

What about your axis assignment inside the FSUIPC for the throttle?

Post a picture from the assignment and calibration page and i will check my own throttle quadrant for you.

You need to be sure 100% you have no axis inside the P3D normal control menu

Michael Moe

Hi Michael,

Here is what my Axis Assignment tab looks like currently. This is the only way I've been able to get the throttle to work at all (though with the reverser problem I described):

sendtofs.png

When I set the Axis Assignment tab like this, I have no throttle control (I don't have any of the controllers set up in the P3D settings):

sendtofsuipc.png

This is what my calibration tab looks like. That Rev checkbox is probably the exact setting I need to fix this, if only I could get the FSUIPC calibration to work:

calibration.png

Have you tried going to the next pages and setting up individual throttles?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I did try that while trying to set up the NGX, and have the same issue doing it that way. It's just so weird that the throttle is the only thing that has this problem. I can configure all of my other controllers through FSUIPC calibration. And if I try to configure my throttle axis as something else (like have it control the ailerons, for example), it works just fine, so it's something specific to the throttle in the software. My best guess at this point is the P3D issue Pete Dowson talks about in that post I linked earlier, but if that's the case, why are there so few people experiencing this issue? Seems like it should affect everyone with v3. Curiouser and curiouser.

Thanks, Arwen. When I was searching the forums for this problem, I ran into a ton of posts from people with that same issue. I never had a problem with 2.0/2.5. The problem I'm seeing is kind of the opposite of that, where the simulator doesn't use the whole range of the throttle rather than the throttle not controlling the whole range of the sim. I did mess around a lot with those sensitivity settings though, but alas, no luck.

Hi Michael,

Here is what my Axis Assignment tab looks like currently. This is the only way I've been able to get the throttle to work at all (though with the reverser problem I described):

sendtofs.png

When I set the Axis Assignment tab like this, I have no throttle control (I don't have any of the controllers set up in the P3D settings):

sendtofsuipc.png

This is what my calibration tab looks like. That Rev checkbox is probably the exact setting I need to fix this, if only I could get the FSUIPC calibration to work:

calibration.png

I will check later but the values at all 3 pictures are not the same.

For instance "Throttle" and "Throttle set" and there values in "picture 3" are different

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Yes, the first one is how I have it set to get it to work, passing it directly to FS. The second one is how I would set it to try to get the FSUIPC calibration working. When you set it that way, the dropdown list of controls is slightly different. (e.g. Throttle rather than Throttle Set)