Sign in to follow this  
dromeascr

FSX crashes to desktop approx 13 min of playing.

After ~13 minutes, the game crashes to desktop, no matter if I'm on the ground or airborne.. The addons I run are listed below:

PMDG 777

For sceneries, FlyTampa Athens and FlyTampa Dubai. 

I'm also using the FS water configuration on the "Ocean-Rough" setting.

Oddly enough, the Add-Ons menu on the Menu Bar in-game doesn't appear as well, although I do have the RAAS professional (installed with PMDG).

The game runs at 60FPS in the ground with no issues. The .cfg file I'm running is the Matt Davies' one which I have slightly modified. http://goo.gl/irLww1 

Tried installing DX10 Fix but no cigar, i managed to alter the settings, it apparently didnt affect the game performance or crash-wise.

I don't think I need to list my specs, tell me in case I should do so. 

Does the Event Viewer give any indication of a faulting module?

It's never really a good idea to use someone else's config file. Maybe use some parameters as a baseline but I wouldn't just download and paste in a file blindly. It has GPU entries in it which are specific to the PC it was created on for a start. If you delete the cfg file and let it rebuild does it still crash?

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Tom Wright has an excellent suggestion and I highly recommend it too.  That config is the worst FSX.cfg I have ever seen.  It has soooo many really bad parameters.  I'm surprised you can actually run FSX for 13 minutes!

The AVSIM FSX Config Guide (see link in my signature) has what is recommended by AVSIM.  The settings are a little high but this one gets rid of bad AA and it still performs well.

The AVSIM CTD Guide (see link in my signature) has more suggestions to use to investigate your crash.  For instance, I would setup process monitor per the instructions in the guide to see what is loading around 13 minutes.  I would also check your Event Viewer per the AVSIM Guide to see what errors, if any, are being shown.  You need to follow the guidance for the Event Viewer in the guide as our suggestion allows you to see all the crashes or errors from everything going on with your computer and not just one or two things.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yes, actually - I didn't read the cfg file you posted in much detail before but was intrigued after Jim said it was so bad - that cfg file is a total mess! I can see two different Job Scheduler sections in there with two different Affinity Masks, and five different Display entries listing two different GPUs. Definitely get rid of it and try again.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

PMDG offers setup information in their product manual "PMDG-777 Introduction" starting around page 22 or so. That manual was included in your PMDG purchase.

You should definitely read and follow the instructions about the FSX.CFG file beginning on page 24/175 through page 30/175.

Also, I have found other good instructions on the PMDG Website here, you have to look around a bit. Just make sure you try to stick to some of the PMDG staff people, like Ryan (can't think how you spell his last name) Miarritz?, or Kyle Rogers (I think he goes under Scandinavian13) and people like that.

Also, after saying all that, some of the other suggestions above were on track. After following the tip I made above, if you're still having problems, I suggest changing your FSX settings to the minimums. If it works with those settings then begin to increase them.

But, if all else fails, read the directions. That is my biggest fault.

Thanks for your response and interest, all of you, I'm gonna try out the .cfg releated stuff you mentioned, and I'm gonna contact you back with things I tried.

Again, thanks

Hi, I've the same here and Windows 10 report "PFPX has stopped working" 5 to 10 minutes since open. I don't know if Windows 10 the problem but i can remember in Windows 8.1 has freezes also. I can see in your video you have PFPX on Windows 10.

This is a fresh install of FSX and Windows 10 on a top end ASUS ROG Gaming PC 32GB RAM SSD etc.

TOPCAT also is being blocked always with PMDG777-200 when calculating TLR. 

I just buy the bundle only for the PMDG 777 but TOPCAT is in beta without 777-300 for a long time.

I hope this have a solution as soon as possible because it's unusable for many users including me..

Thanks

---- UPDATE ----

Sorry i'm on the bad topic