Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Most graphically intensive aircraft in FSX?

Is it fair to say the PMDG 737 in the virtual cockpit is the most taxing from a graphical or FPS point of view? My Specs are i7 4790k 4.4Ghz, GTX 970 and it pushes my system really hard. At cruise or above FL100 its usually rock solid but coming through the approach depending on where Im flying the FPS will drop. I have sacrified a few sliders and only run 2048 textures max but in some of the denser hubs like London and LA using payware scenery, airports and the usual I can be anywhere between 15-30FPS locked. Anyway after a LOT of tweaking and performance tests I'm happy with the results.

The reason for my question is I'm looking at buying a new aircraft. I have my eye on the Majestic Q400 or maybe the airbus range from Aerosoft. I'm hoping that my performance with the PMDG is the least I would expect and every other aircraft should perform the same or marginally better.

Thoughts?

Thomas Derbyshire

Thomas,

If I was choosing between the two addons you specify, I would suggest the Q400. VERY good FPS performance, and it's an in-depth study level simulation on a par with PMDG. It's arguably more of a challenge to fly than the NGX, but very rewarding when you get it right!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Thanks Mark, does the Q400 perform better than the PMDG 737?

Thomas Derbyshire

The Q400 performs FANTASTIC, I'd say it's one of the best performing planes in FSX. The performance didn't come at the cost of the systems fidelity tho, the systems rival or even surpass the NGX when it comes to realism. 

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Thanks Mark, does the Q400 perform better than the PMDG 737?

The Q400 gives me the most FPS out of any in-depth payware addon. Highly recommend it.

Yeah the q400 is really easy on the frames compared to PMDG aircraft. Definitely worth it.

Kimo

+1 for the Q400. I wish more developers put the emphasis on performance like Majestic Software did on the Q400. If they can do it, so can others.

I'd say the worst performer in FSX is the pmdg jetstream. The pmdg NGX and F1 King air are a close second

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'd say the worst performer in FSX is the pmdg jetstream. The pmdg NGX and F1 King air are a close second

Yep... detailed G1000 sims are especially poor performing in FSX/P3D. I know many people are totally OK with how it performs, but to me it falls below the range of acceptability. They are obviously still amazing sims in themselves though.

Yeah.  I love (or loved because I don't use FSX anymore) the F1 King air in FSX.  Just a fabulous sim of an airplane, the G1000 is amazing for what it does, the systems modelling, attention to detail.... everything is wonderful except the fps/stutters (on my rig)...  I just couldn't fly it unless I was in a default rural area.  Hopefully the upcoming MV B350i fills that gap.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks guys thats what I needed to know, the Majestic it is then.

Thomas Derbyshire

PMDG aircraft are probably the best in the business from my experience, but I must admit that you do get a performance hit - everything comes at a cost I suppose.

So probably best to leave them alone unless you have a pretty high spec machine and if you have, their stuff is the stuff to get.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

For me it's the Coolsky DC-9. All the 3D dials in the VC really take their toll on my machine, and at EGLL I get lower framerates in that than I do in the PMDG NGX!

The PMDG NGX does come a very close second though. It's also my most heavily affected by the mouse cursor FPS drop - I lose about 4-5fps when the mouse cursor is visible in the VC.  But I still adore it, probably have more hours in it than any of my other aircraft.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I have an i7 4790 clocked at 4.4 Ghz and a GTX970 so my machine isnt a slouch. The PMDG performs well except in high density hubs under 10,000 ft where it can drop to 15-20 frames but its still smooth. I was just hoping the PMDG is the most taxing which means any other aircraft I buy will perform better, or certainly no worse.

Thomas Derbyshire