Sign in to follow this  
bradrcfii

Prepar3d and SimConnect

Srtill no luck.  Stat does not show any activity listening on port 5000 on either machines.

are all firewall's or any other security application that could be interfering properly disabled?

If the config files are read; than there must be an open port listening or established session on port5000,

There is a possibility that port 5000 is assigned or reserved for another application and cannot be used when requested,

It’s less likely that ports are reserved above 10k, try to use port 50000 instead of 5000 (in all 3 places) and see if a port is opened on 50k,

If it’s not there’s an underlying issue to deal with first,

at the least you should see on Brad these lines

TCP    10.0.0.30:50000        0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
TCP    127.0.0.1:50000        0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING

UDP    10.0.0.30:50000        *:*
UDP    127.0.0.1:50000        *:*
what are you using to edit your simconnect.xml? (regular notepad or notepad++ and such)

The firewalls are turned off with the exception of the router.  I will try a higher port but you mention three different places.  I think we might be zeroing in on the problem becuase I can only think of two places, the XML file and the CFG file on the client at users/mydocuments.  Am I missing a file?

thanks,

Brad

on Brad XML you have two entries; one under global and one under local,
than in Flight1 .cfg you have another entry,

Dropbox location for simconnect data:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tmv6mr46gnkrmng/AABYLmgWsZ3ASsg1nxbjD5T0a?dl=0

I think we have made progress.  The server nstat shows port 50,000 listening but the client does not.  Maybe a simconnect install issue.  The ESP version will not install.  What would cause simconnect to start to run on the client?

Thanks,

Brad

that’s great news,

first the client side isn’t listening on port 50k; it just need to know to which port to contact on the other end of the IP,

the client (Flight1) can initiate the session on its side from any port available;

but on the other side it has to know which door to knock on! (50k)

the other thing that could be preventing you is the cfg location;

documents is normally where default addons will look for the simconnecr.cfg file;

some programs may also need it in the root of the folder where the application is installed in,

another possibility is character set in the cfg file on Flight1;

if the wrong character set is used; the file won’t be read or executed properly,

This is what I did to test the simconnect network:

On the server PC (ip=192.168.1.124) I installed FSX Gold, FSX-SE, P3D v2 and P3D v3. On the server I made a file called Simconnect.xml in \Users\[you]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX, FSX-SE, and ..\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2, and v3.

<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
	<Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
	<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>

<SimConnect.Comm>
		<Disabled>False</Disabled>
		<Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
		<Scope>Global</Scope>
		<MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
		<Address>192.168.1.124</Address>
		<Port>1025</Port>
		<MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>
		<DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>
	</SimConnect.Comm>

<SimConnect.Comm>
		<Disabled>False</Disabled>
		<Protocol>Auto</Protocol>
		<Scope>Local</Scope>
	</SimConnect.Comm>

</SimBase.Document>
You would substitute with your server ip in the <Address> line.

<Port>1025</Port> - the free ip port to use - any port over 1024 except 8080.

On the client PC (ip=192.168.1.125) I made a User with the same name and password in the same workgroup as the server PC User.

On the client and server PC's I have simconnects 10.0.60905.0, 61242, 61259, 62615, and 1.0.20.0 installed.

On the client PC I placed a file in C:\Users\[you]\Documents called Simconnect.cfg

[SimConnect]
Protocol=IPv4
Address=192.168.1.124
Port=1025
MaxReceiveSize=4096
DisableNagle=0
You would substitute with your server ip in the Address= line.

Port= the server ip port - any port over 1024 except 8080.

I compiled simconnect clients to return the sim version data, one for each version of simconnect. I ran each sim on the server, one after the other and connected with the respective clients for each sim, from the client PC, which all returned the data correctly.

Both PCs had regular Users, with no adjustments to UAC privileges or permissions at all. Both were running McAffee A-V and Internet security suites in stock setup.

If you run an addon on the client that uses Simconnect that would work in the above environment. But if you use an addon that requires FSUIPC, then WIDECLIENT is installed on the client, and FSUIPC is installed on the server for each version of the sim.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hi Steve,
at this point i believe the server (Brad) is working as expected in his environment,
the application on his client (Flight1) is currently the issue; it seems to not be picking up the cfg file;
or if it does, it’s not parsing parameters properly (as i pointed out a character set could also play a part here)

Regards,
Chris

I am going to use the same font found in the xlm file for the client config file and give that a try.  I will also place the config file in the root application program folders.  I am trying to get both ASN and VPilot up on the client.  The ASN network doc is pretty good so I am surprised I am having so much trouble especially since i had it working for FSX.

I really appreciate you guys helping.

Brad

Brad,
(please note that character set is not related to fonts used! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Character_sets )
the best way is to open a simple new text file using built-in default notepad;

and manually write the 6 lines save; then change the extension to cfg after that,
on Flight1 you need to place Simconnect.cfg (note its not .xml extension there!!! only on Brad you need to use .xml)

OK got it.  I will open notepad and type in the lines and save it with a .cfg extension in the coorect location, users/flight2/documents

Thanks,

Brad

• Upvote 1

Just to close out this thread....I built a new Z170 machine using the new SkyLake CPU.  Created a new Homegroup and a funny thing happened, simconnect and all my remote programs including ASN and VPilot worked first try.  Who knows what was stopping me with the old machine?  I thought I knew what I was doing.

By the way, running the Skylake at 4.8Ghz makes Prepar3d fly, pardon the pun.  The irony is that I really do not need a cleint machine any more.

Brad

• Upvote 1