Sign in to follow this  
cliffardus

Why did I continue to float 50 ft above the runway?

After a flawless flight from Alicante to Heathrow all went smoothly until levelling off and remaining at 50 ft above the runway. 

The speed setting was 5 knots over the flap 30 recommended speed. The altitude was set to zero. The glide path was perfect all the way down the slope

The only he only thing I can think of is my not understanding, and therefore correctly implementing, the Tutorial instructions on page 85 which read:

“…set the landing minimums by clicking the outer EFIS control panel MINS knob to it’s radio setting (which I did), clicking the RST button in the centre of the inner knob (which I did ) and then turning and holding the inner knob to the left to select 50 ft radio altitude (I couldn’t see how to select a height and therefore wasn't able to complete the instruction) - you’ll see the number in the lower right corner of the PFD. (which, of course, I didn’t see)”

If my misunderstanding that instruction isn't relevant where could the problem lie??

Cliff

If my misunderstanding that instruction isn't relevant where could the problem lie??

Not relevant. The MINS knob simply serves as a notifier of your minimums. It won't interfere with the AP in any way. My guess is that it's a scenery issue.

Kyle Rodgers

If you are flying a coupled ILS approach then the aircraft should descend all the way to the runway... my guess is you were not flying the glideslope.  The FMA will reveal what the pitch, roll and thrust modes are, but sure to keep an eye on it.

Dan Downs KCRP

After a flawless flight from Alicante to Heathrow all went smoothly until levelling off and remaining at 50 ft above the runway.

Hi, Cliff,

As Dan suggested, you need to describe exactly how you conducted the final approach.  In particular, was the autopilot on, and if so, what vertical mode was active -- GS, VNAV, VS, or FLCH?  Also, what altitude was set in the MCP (autopilot) ALT window?

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Eureka.....I solved it!

I read and reread the descent section of Tutorial flight . I flew the same Plan several times and eventually the light dawned.

I'd omitted to press the APP button after the pressing the LOC button.......

So my thanks to you all!

Cliff

I'd omitted to press the APP button after the pressing the LOC button...

Just so you know, provided you're already below the glideslope, you can go directly to APP without first hitting LOC.

Kyle Rodgers

"......provided you're already below the glideslope, you can go directly to APP without first hitting LOC."

I didn't know that. Thanks.

May I ask question that puzzles me but has nothing to do with this string?

The LEGS speed for final approach is higher than the 30 degree flaps speed. And the latter is the one used in the tutorial.

Why aren't they the same?

Cliff

The LEGS speed for final approach is higher than the 30 degree flaps speed. And the latter is the one used in the tutorial.

Why aren't they the same?

The 777 does not adjust for approach speed like the NG does.

Kyle Rodgers

The 777 does not adjust for approach speed like the NG does.

This is a very exciting thing to remember about as you're intercepting the localizer and wondering why the damn thing won't slow down for you.  Then it dawns on you and you have a very eventful final approach (or you go around like a sensible pilot)

-stefan