Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

News on DTG Simulator is coming soon!

Sounds good, but it's fighting simple human nature. Study after study shows that when consumers (of any age) encounter barriers, especially unnecessary ones, in using a product they will tend to lose patience and turn away. http://www.pcworld.com/article/146576/article.html

Yes, I know this all too well. I was shocked when I released Norway Pro and continually got the same complaints about the file being zipped as 7z instead of zip, or that it wouldn't load because of missing libraries. Not only did I write in red letters 3 times on the download page what people need, it was completely ignored. With 7z, I use it to save space and bandwidth on my server, and since I distribute and make scenery for free, I expect users to put in a little effort in return. A respected reviewer (I won't name them) told me that my scenery was rubbish because it was too hard to install, and let's just say I lost all respect for them after that.

• Upvote 7

I'm not disagreeing with you. I often see these seasoned FSX/P3D users coming into the X-Plane forums looking for advise or reasons why they should upgrade, basically wanting other simmers to convince them or sell X-Plane to them. Most generally don't stick around after asking their questions and will sadly disappear completely from the simming world due to frustration. X-Plane is much more hands-on than FSX, and to get a decent setup with good scenery you need to do your homework and put the effort into doing it, whereas in FSX/P3D almost everything is payware and there are companies providing support. I don't unfortunately see this changing anytime soon. X-Plane seems to be the last hope of desperation from frustrated simmers, as sad as that may sound.

I agree in full. I am looking at X-Plane as only possible alternative to FSX-SE. If DTG will release a disappointing platform, X-Plane will be my only real alternative. I will not change my mind as long as LM will release something better than a reconditioned version of FSX and NGiS will become something more than a weekly announcement of good intentions.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here. There are also lots of users (like myself) who don't have powerful computers or setups and can quite happily use a simulator. I can run both P3D v3 and X-Plane on a laptop, and I'm quite happy when I get between 20-30fps. Some users won't accept anything less that 60fps and if you want to have 3 monitors and run everything on high settings then of course you need a powerful rig, and our current batch of simulators will show their age.

Sorry Tony, this does not simply add up. You are talking to someone who started with FSX boxed years ago with two different laptops. The second one, where I am currently typing my reply from now, is a Chillblast flight simulation oriented laptop assembled on a Clevo backbone with an  Intel Core i7 4810MQ Quad Core Processor 2.70 GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) and GTX 860M graphics card. It costed me a lot of money. While I was reasonably happy with the performance, I came to a point where I had to buy a high-end PC. But no matter how powerful your laptop or your PC is, there are and always be strong limitations as long as we use old software.

P3D and X-Plane 10 (with addons) are hardcore professional simulators and not games. Both simulators are moving forward, albeit slowly. But, to get it at the level many of us want, you have to invest money or a lot of time into addons. 

Let's all be honest, we are a very hard bunch to please  :P

If we have to be honest, then I ask you why you excluded FSX-SE from your list in first place. There is absolutely nothing in terms of VAS performance, FPS performance, smoothness, flight dynamics etc. which proves that P3D V3 actually overperforms FSX-SE in any of the above items. I contacted in private several 'gurus' in the community who confirmed to me that their side by side tests did not show any significant difference between FSX-SE and P3D 3.1. Don't get me wrong: I absolutely do not intend to disqualify P3D nor am I a P3D hater in any way. If and when LM will release a real new simulator, I will probably be a first-day purchaser. I respect opinions, bias and wishful thinking, of course, but I need more than that to convince myself that it is 'professional simulator', with or without addons. Either FSX-SE is also professional or neither of both is. In my view, we can hardly call professional a simulator where you have to lean a turboprop at 2000 ft not to lose power when nobody does that in real life.

Just my opinion, anyway.

If we have to be honest, then I ask you why you excluded FSX-SE from your list in first place

Sorry, that really wasn't intentional, and I generally just say P3D as meaning the ESP platform (i.e. FSX/FSX-SE/P3D). I don't use P3D that much so I'm not a good judge, but for me, P3D seems to be just FSX with nicer graphics and suffers the same problems.

But no matter how powerful your laptop or your PC is, there are and always be strong limitations as long as we use old software.

Well, my girlfriend's computer that cost 400euros 2 years ago will run FSX at 20fps, and that for me is perfectly fine, so it depends on your expectations. However, I do get better performance in X-Plane compared to FSX/P3D on the same Windows computer, so it certainly does show the technology badly needs updating and let's hope DTG are the ones to do it.

• Upvote 2

7Zip has always been in my stable, can't see how anyone can have difficulty with the software. Always read the readme, has been my watchword since using linux back in the 90's.

• Upvote 2

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i7-13700KF  Gigabyte Z790 RTX-4060-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Based on what you just stated in your post, I would be thrilled if DTG would finish Flight to create the sim that should have been. 

By the way Arwen, I am glad to see you on the forum again. It has been quite a while and your comments and insight have been missed.

Thanks! I've actually been on a few of AVSIM's forums pretty regularly, like the Prepa3D forum (I just don't post very often).  BTW, I still have Flight on my computer, will all its DLC (which I was given for free for my beta testing), and  just fired it up again last night, which I still do occasionally. I'm really hoping that DTG gives us a proper flight sim, and not another arcade flying game.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

7zip is great. Not only is it so much easier to use than the default Windows ZIP utility, but if I'm distributing a 500mb scenery file, and 7zip zips it down to 300mb compared to 400mb for zip, then it's a no brainer

Talking about frustrated flyers, one of the great things about MSFLIGHT for me was that...... it just worked. After the first knee-jerk fiddling with the cfg that came from years of FSX habit, I realized quickly that there was really no reason for me to be in there anymore, and I settled down to a program that.... simply worked and worked well.

Hard as some people who loathed the concept might find it to believe, I still have strong feelings after experiancing both FLIGHT and P3D that even after extensive development by LM and years after the death of FLIGHT, the FLIGHT engine is still equal if not superior to P3D.

Unfortunately as a child of FSX, it also inherited some basic faults like the hated (by me) and apparently hard-coded east/west North/south street orientation, the baked-in street lighting, the jumbled patchwork landclass, etc......

IF DTGs new offering is truly based around the flight engine, I really hope they have put in the work to take it firmly to the next level, because if I see this "new" sim and think "Oh look, yet another version of FSX" I will be a sad panda.

Flight could have been a really great start (back then) if given a chance, but time has moved on, even for FLIGHT, and now even something based on that engine would need to step up its game.. 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

If DTG could be what MS FLIGHT, FLIGHT UNLIMITED, PROPILOT 99 and FLY were.... the best out of each of these....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Preferred addons: ACTIVE SKY, FSHUD, PMDG(MSFS), A2A(MSFS), FBW A32N, FENIX A320, TOLISS A32N, TOGA MU-2

Talking about frustrated flyers, one of the great things about MSFLIGHT for me was that...... it just worked.

Actually, I was surprised just how easy P3D v3 was to install and use, and I was very impressed with the new ORBX installer (I hadn't used it for a while). All I did was install it, and everything worked, no configuration.

BTW, are you still involved with Outerra? There's one I've been patiently waiting for ;-)

BTW, are you still involved with Outerra? There's one I've been patiently waiting for ;-)

Yeah, in fact the next update should include some really nice things, and OSM development is proceeding. Just recently they asked for some community help on some testing they are doing. http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3494.0

I've grown slightly reluctant to mention Outerra outside of its own forum here however, cause.... its an FSX world out here!    :p0504:

Actually, I was surprised just how easy P3D v3 was to install and use, and I was very impressed with the new ORBX installer (I hadn't used it for a while). All I did was install it, and everything worked, no configuration.

Well that certainly was the original premise, but if you look in the forum now, its the same old questions, tips, calls for help, tweaks etc that we've had for years for FSX....... Bleah.  :sad:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hard core simmers can dream all they want about "the perfect complex and realistic flight sim", but it will never happen in a retail/entertainment environment. Even Lockheed Martin - one of the largest aviation companies in the world - hasn't bothered much when it comes to realism. It will always be up to 3rd party developers to satisfy that craving, so lets hope DTG makes an open environment. Anything beyond that is in my mind pure fantasy, unless anybody is friendly with a billionaire with nothing better to to with his/her money...

• Upvote 3

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Hard core simmers can dream all they want about "the perfect complex and realistic flight sim", but it will never happen in a commercial/entertainment environment. Even Lockheed Martin - one of the largest aviation companies in the world - hasn't bothered much when it comes to realism. It will always be up to 3rd party developers to satisfy that craving, so lets hope DTG makes an open environment. Anything beyond that is in my mind pure fantasy, unless anybody is friendly with a billionaire with nothing better to to with his/her money...

One of the best post in the entire thread.

"Society has become so fake that the truth actually bothers people".

I just want interactive cockpits in the default airplanes. Some of the default ones in FSX have aged pretty well. No exterior model only planes, please.

MmTtMjQh.png

LeaMgZNh.png

NF3Sy41h.png

Wow! I wish I was smart enough to run a marketing company. If I could run a marketing company, then I would love to market this program! It would make things so easy for the young and simple minded. This product line would fit right in with my new 11 pound cell phone that has a big round dial with holes in it. You just put you finger in the correct hole and dial. It is perfect for the young and dumb as well as the old and blind. My other product is a glass booth where you can go inside and use the 11 lb phone for a dime. Yep that is the ticket. Company name: Dumb R Us. Kind of rolls off your lips don't you think? :fool:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/