Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

News on DTG Simulator is coming soon!

As long as Lockheed Martin provides a decent SDK I'll be waiting for the freeware apps to arrive. There aren't many payware addons worth paying for, so I won't worry too much about the cost of new 64 bit versions.It takes me half a year to explore an ORBX region...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

JV of ORBX seems to think that there will be no SDK for freeware developers for the full flight simulation? I hope he's wrong as this would be a huge mistake

That's why I'll be sticking with Prepar3D for a long time - even though the SDK tools aren't very good.

The thing about freeware isn't just that it's free, it's that it often covers areas not covered by payware. If Dovetail won't share the SDK it will be the end of freeware and leave most of the FS world deserted. Also freeware allows addons to be of an artistic nature - meaning no need ti license Cessna or Coca Cola to use their brands to represent the real world.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Although worrying, I'm taking whatever JV says with a grain of salt, although perhaps he knows something we don't

Naturally we will provide developers with all the tools, documentation and support they need to create great new content for this new platform and will be working closely with them during that process.

This statement to me looks positive and goes against JV's statement on the ORBX site.

Additionally, how would such a decision attract new developers?.

People have to learn somewhere, so being allowed to release freeware is a good stepping stone for a future generation of developers.

Also freeware allows addons to be of an artistic nature - meaning no need ti license Cessna or Coca Cola to use their brands to represent the real world.

Some flight simmers desire for absolute accuracy might be a bit of an enemy here. GTA5 can add an aircraft, change a few things, name it a "Biong" instead of a Boeing, and the world moves on. But with demands for absolute accuracy, licensing enters the picture and things get more complicated. Lawyers get invited to play, and suddenly there are people in suits, everywhere.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Some flight simmers desire for absolute accuracy might be a bit of an enemy here. GTA5 can add an aircraft, change a few things, name it a "Biong" instead of a Boeing, and the world moves on.

Indeed, I saw something similar with American Truck Simulator which was only released with two trucks because of name licensing issues. Euro Truck Simulator was released with lots of faked names, and this didn't bother anyone (In fact the modding community quickly resolved the issue). It wouldn't bother me at all flying around in in Biong 737, but it would bother me if the cockpit wasn't similar to the real one.

We will not be updating the flight physics in DTG Flight School, however it is something we are exploring for DTG Flight Simulator. Realism is important to me and physics plays a large part in that. - Steve

This is something the community have been wanting for years.  It would be good if this happened.

Remember the weird name aircraft had in Flight Unlimited 2 and 3 ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Preferred addons: ACTIVE SKY, FSHUD, PMDG(MSFS), A2A(MSFS), FBW A32N, FENIX A320, TOLISS A32N, TOGA MU-2

....and they were both better than the MSFS offerings of the time :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

and they were both better than the MSFS offerings of the time

At the time there was Fly, FU, MSFS and XP. I think all had aspects which were great but none of them had everything. I can't remember which aspect of FU everyone liked.

JV of ORBX seems to think that there will be no SDK for freeware developers for the full flight simulation? I hope he's wrong as this would be a huge mistake

Based on what?

I followed all possible threads in the last days, asked questions personally both on Steam and Facebook and there is absolutely nothing confirming such speculation. While DTG did not state clearly they will, statements like that already quoted by Poppet and tonywob would suggest the contrary.

All we know so far is that both sims will be 64 bit and will also run under Windows 7.

And Propilot 99 and Fly!2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Preferred addons: ACTIVE SKY, FSHUD, PMDG(MSFS), A2A(MSFS), FBW A32N, FENIX A320, TOLISS A32N, TOGA MU-2

And Propilot 99 and Fly!2

True!

Based on what?

See here http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/110695-who-else-is-excited-about-the-new-dovetail-sim/?page=3#comment-996980

DTG have not announced an open SDK, and I doubt that they will, nor will there be a freeware community springing up around the sim

He seems to be under the impression that there won't be an open SDK and a freeware community. I have no idea why he thinks this, but perhaps he knows something we don't?

See here http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/110695-who-else-is-excited-about-the-new-dovetail-sim/?page=3#comment-996980

He seems to be under the impression that there won't be an open SDK and a freeware community. I have no idea why he thinks this, but perhaps he knows something we don't?

Looks like pure speculation to me. Everything he says about backward compatibility, for example, appears to have been dismissed by DTG answers so far. I see more speculation and personal impression than inside knowledge there.