Sign in to follow this  
Chris Knipe

747v2 and Panels

I saw up the thread that you aren't using any hardware. You should really, really buy a simple Saitek Extreme 3D Pro joystick. They're about $35 on Amazon, but you could probably find them at any big electronics store for even cheaper. It COMPLETELY changes everything about how you interact with the sim. The hatswitch makes looking around much more simple than using that awful mouse look feature, and besides that it makes everything feel more natural. I have no idea how anyone can operate the sim using only a keyboard...

buy a simple Saitek Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Did you mean to write Logitech rather than Saitek?
  • Upvote 1

Don't need EZDok. Mouse + Spacebar and a little patience for the first few flights. In most cases, I've found that it's just an issue of getting out of an old habit and into a new one.

Kyle is absolutely right. I was very upset when it was announced that the 777 wouldn't have 2D panels and that they were no longer being included in any future PMDG products. I had a hard time adjusting to the VC but just like Kyle said, with a little bit of patience it's just a matter of getting out of an old habit and into a new one. I love the VC now and use it exclusively in all of my aircraft - even the ones with 2D panels. PMDG still includes 2D panels for key areas like the FMC and MCP. 

Didn't know about 'A' - I'll give that a try.

I suffer from severe psoriatic arthritis, and frankly, even after I left the PC and aren't even sitting in front of the PC now for a good few hours, my neck and stuff is still sore and stiff - so more than likely not related to the constant moving around as I've thought initially.  I am / was even looking at TrackIR too, but even there still, I am not convinced that it will give me a pleasurable experience.  Perhaps I'm just weird or something.

Part of my problem is also that I fly with the keyboard.  No yoke and/or external controls.  I've never had the reason for it, and frankly, I am not a committed enough simmer to invest in it.  So flying with the keyboard, and the VC (esp. with Ez Doc basically changing all the key binds on the num pad) is also a big part of why this is such a struggle.

I haven't changed any viewpoints from the default installs (not intentionally in any case - I never even looked at camaras.cfg).  Frankly, I've just un-installed and re-installed the 737's for the 1d service pack, and stock standard, the throttles are in the way of viewing the FMC properly (when throttles are controlled by AT - i.e. in use and not in idle positions) - can't see the bottom left side of the keypad, and a little bit of the bottom part of the screen.... 

Perhaps it's just time to nuke cameras.cfg and see if a reset to defaults will help.  Something tells me that Ez Doc (or I), messed something up there more than what I thought.

Will give it a go again, but I'm not prepared to fork out what PMDG charges for the 777 (and I'm sure future planes too), if only a VC is available and I am not 100% confident in using the VC.  Purchased Aerosoft's Airbuses (both of them) too, and never made one complete flight with them yet because of the VC.... 

It's unfortunately sad, but true.  And I'm also fairly sure that I can't be the only one here too... I'm not THAT unique :)

Yes, it take some time to get used to it. Bit believe me you will.

Many panels are clickable so you can get a close look.

One thing helped me a lot, a game mouse where you can assign a key to one of the knobs.

I assigned the " space"  to one of my mouse knobs. (the one under my thumb) So I have to use just 1 hand to look around and use the mouse

I saw up the thread that you aren't using any hardware. You should really, really buy a simple Saitek Extreme 3D Pro joystick.

Ordered a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X yesterday  :smile:  ETA only about a month  :fool:

I assigned the " space"  to one of my mouse knobs. (the one under my thumb) So I have to use just 1 hand to look around and use the mouse

Now that is REALLY an awesome idea  :smile:

I just create my own 2d panel. Takes about 30 minutes.

I use 2d because:

1: the VC viewpoint bug means the view moves too much on long-body aircraft, especially near the equator, so the panel doesn't stay in a fixed position, like it should in a study sim;

2: the VC mouse cursor calculations reduce performance too much right when I need it, even on the newer sims;

3: the 2d gauges are clearer, larger, and easier to read;

4: the 2d gauges are easier to manipulate (the cursor doesn't 'slide' off buttons as the plane turns or during turbulence);

5: I can cover my screen in panels that I want to see (Aerowinx PSX style);

6: fixed panel positions are consistent with normal desktop training sims;

7: I'm only interested in flying the well-designed systems, not the VC or aircraft model itself (again, think Aerowinx PSX, though PMDGs seamless integration of its forthcoming 747 with P3D makes it the winner for me).

It would be be nice if pmdg put landing lights in the model, though, so cockpit builders and 2d users like me can see the ground at night.

Bryn Battersby

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

Problem with EZCA for me is more a matter of I don't know how to use it.

I found this guys videos EZCA very helpful, here is one of them.