Sign in to follow this  
shortspecialbus

P3D Cockpit Shadows

I just realized that I don't seem to have VC shadows in the 777.  I am almost positive that I do in the 737.  Is this not a feature on the 777, or is something messed up on my end?  If not, is there any way to get those?  They really add a ton to immersion and make me way happier than they have a right to, haha.

Thanks!

-stefan

Edit because I should probably have put it in the first place: This is Prepar3D v3.1 using the P3D T7 with the -300ER expansion.  VC Shadows appear to work on the other planes I've tested including the 737 NGX and some default planes.

Edited by shortspecialbus

There are shadows if the sun is in the right orientation to produce them.  Make sure your lighting settings include the internal vehicle cast and receiving shadows.

Full names in the PMDG forums please, Stefan.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hmm, I just tried a 360 degree turn in bright sunlight with the sun at about a 40 degree angle, no joy.  Settings are definitely as suggested.  The cockpit dims somewhat when the sun isn't in the windows, but it does so uniformly.

-stefan strandberg

I did a screenie for you but photobucket is down... sorry mate, not sure what you're missing but there are shadows in the 777 VC cockpit.  Besides, this is not a feature of the PMDG VC model, the shadows are created by P3D in DX11 using your GPU. My example is with the dusk setting and the effects are unmistakable.

Dan Downs KCRP

Strange.  I'll poke around with things.  I know for sure it works in the NGX, since I took a screenshot of it the other day and found that.  That's what I thought as well, about it being native.  I'll report back if I figure something out.

-stefan strandberg

Solved - error on my end.  I'd turned off terrain shadows to help prevent OOM's (I have no idea if it actually has an effect) and in doing so I turned the Object Shadow Distance to 0.  This needs to not be zero for cockpit shadows.

-stefan

I'd turned off terrain shadows to help prevent OOM's (I have no idea if it actually has an effect) and in doing so I turned the Object Shadow Distance to 0.

It's rendering only - won't protect you from any sort of addressable space use.

Kyle Rodgers

It's rendering only - won't protect you from any sort of addressable space use.

That's what I figured, but I have too many bad memories from OOMing everything with FSX that I dropped everything a huge amount and am slowly bringing back one slider each flight til I'm happy with both performance, appearance, and not OOMing.  Thanks for the confirmation, though!

-stefan strandberg

-stefan
You can do this to have your full name appear on every post that you make without typing it at the end of the post.. Set it up so that is done automatically. Try this - click on your user name in upper right corner, click on My Profile, click on Edit My Profile, click on Signature, in Edit Signature enter your first and last name, click save  and your name will be on all of your posts.

You can do this to have your full name appear on every post that you make without typing it at the end of the post.. Set it up so that is done automatically. Try this - click on your user name in upper right corner, click on My Profile, click on Edit My Profile, click on Signature, in Edit Signature enter your first and last name, click save  and your name will be on all of your posts.

I'm well aware of how to do it - I just don't really want my full name anywhere I don't have to have it.  For years I was fine with just the first name in this forum, apparently it changed lately, which I can deal with.  But I have no intention of changing my sig.

Thanks, though!  Others may find it helpful.

-stefan strandberg

Edit: I'm not arguing the policy - I'm fine with it, but I don't always post in the PMDG forum.

For years I was fine with just the first name in this forum, apparently it changed lately, which I can deal with. But I have no intention of changing my sig.

Actually  the rule  has  been out  since  2009 about  signing  your  full names  in the post

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Actually  the rule  has  been out  since  2009 about  signing  your  full names  in the post

I know, but they never seemed to care if I put my last name til recently.  As in they responded to my questions without asking me to put my last name.  Either way, not a problem.

-stefan strandberg