Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Touchdown with crab on slippery runways

Touchdown with crab:

It is recommended to use this method when landing on slippery runways as it reduces drift on touchdown and allows for rapid deployment of the spoilers and autobrake as all main gear have touched down simultaneously. However, rudder and aileron input to de-crab after touchdown must be applied in order to maintain proper directional control.

This method is not recommended on dry runways with strong crosswind conditions as on landing the aircraft will tend to track upwind until the correct de-crab technique is accomplished. This lack of initial directional control is undesirable. Fly the nosewheel onto the runway after the aircraft is tacking the runway centerline.

I just can't figure out why its recommended on slippery runways and not dry runways?

Vernon Howells

Touchdown with crab:

It is recommended to use this method when landing on slippery runways as it reduces drift on touchdown and allows for rapid deployment of the spoilers and autobrake as all main gear have touched down simultaneously. However, rudder and aileron input to de-crab after touchdown must be applied in order to maintain proper directional control.

This method is not recommended on dry runways with strong crosswind conditions as on landing the aircraft will tend to track upwind until the correct de-crab technique is accomplished. This lack of initial directional control is undesirable. Fly the nosewheel onto the runway after the aircraft is tacking the runway centerline.

I just can't figure out why its recommended on slippery runways and not dry runways?

I have seen in done on dry runways with all different types of airliners. Touchdown, on mains and then kick the nose over with rudder. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

It tells you why:

It is recommended to use this method when landing on slippery runways as it reduces drift on touchdown and allows for rapid deployment of the spoilers and autobrake as all main gear have touched down simultaneously.

This method is not recommended on dry runways with strong crosswind conditions as on landing the aircraft will tend to track upwind until the correct de-crab technique is accomplished. This lack of initial directional control is undesirable.

(My highlights).

If you think about it -- on a slippery runway the reduced friction between the tyres and the runway will allow the aircraft to continue "drifting" sideways for a period after touchdown. On a dry, grippy runway, however, when you touch down in the crab the tyres will "grab" and the aircraft will want to start going where the nose is pointing (i.e. off the side of the runway).

That said, as Bob points out, in reality you will see all manner of crosswind techniques, some more questionable than others...

Right cheers guys. Think i'm getting a grasp of it!

Simon - If you land in the crab on a slippery runway, will the aircraft not keep on sliding sideways off the runway? Will it not be easier to control on a dry than a slippery?

Vernon Howells

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If you land in the crab on a slippery runway, will the aircraft not keep on sliding sideways off the runway? Will it not be easier to control on a dry than a slippery?

When you're in the crab, the nose is pointing upwind, but the aircraft is travelling in the direction of the centreline (because of the drift). When you touch down, the tyres will slide on the slippery surface and the aircraft will continue to travel along the centreline (obviously as the aircraft slows and the tyres start to grip you will eventually need to point the nose in the right direction, as the FCOM says).

On a dry runway, as I say, because you have more grip if you touch down with the nose pointing off-centreline, rather than skidding the tyres will grip immediately and want to start taking you wherever the nose is pointed.

Bob's link provides a good summary of the techniques.

Just as a small point -- Bob used the term "kick off the drift", which is a is commonly used but IMO slightly misleading phrase as it implies an aggressive application of rudder. FS aircraft are a little variable in the way in which they model yaw-induced roll, and I'm not sure what the NGX is like in this regard, but if you "kick" the rudder in a real jet you are likely to get a very alarming roll (in the "wrong" direction in the case of a crosswind landing) -- the rudder is a big, powerful control surface.

I personally would argue that you never "kick" or "boot" the rudder - you apply rudder pressure. To that end, I prefer the term "squeeze" off the drift, which I feel is a better description of what you're actually doing  :wink:.

• Upvote 1

I personally would argue that you never "kick" or "boot" the rudder - you apply rudder pressure. To that end, I prefer the term "squeeze" off the drift, which I feel is a better description of what you're actually doing

Agree, even in a light twin there's no kicking or rapid rudder deflection...that's just not intuitive when you're in the cockpit. A gradual application of correction just looks so much prettier LOL

Dan Downs KCRP

Agree, even in a light twin there's no kicking or rapid rudder deflection...that's just not intuitive when you're in the cockpit. A gradual application of correction just looks so much prettier LOL

Here's a BA 747 landing in quite a marked crosswind. The pilot reduces the crab just before touchdown with a lot of rudder into wind so the sideways strain on the landing gear is minimised. Pretty good I'd say.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

The pilot reduces the crab just before touchdown with a lot of rudder into wind so the sideways strain on the landing gear is minimised. Pretty good I'd say.

I am surprised that he kept the nose gear up for a couple extra seconds. I was taught to get all the rubber on the road expeditiously in a stiff crosswind; however, considering he already has lots of rubber on the pavement with the mains I guess the nose wheel isn't adding that much resistance to lateral movement. Interesting.

My favorite crosswind arrivals are in the B52, which cannot drop a wing to cross control coming out of the crab. It has steerable main gears, set by the pilot during approach to allow the aircraft to roll forward with the fuselage at an angle to direction of travel. That is amazing to see.

My problem landing is when there is no crosswind LOL... here in Corpus Christi TX a normal day has at least 15 kt crosswind component coming at ya and I've seen 43 kts off the nose 30 deg, (22 kt crosswind component)  one gets so used to it that when it's calm the touchdown tends to be ...., shall I say aggressive.

Dan Downs KCRP

I mean't kicking out the crab, not stomping on the rudder like the Airbus Pilot did climbing out of JFK and tearing the plane apart..  Cheez.......

Like always great explanation simon :) makes sense and thankyou all for helping me out.

Also, it eats up tires if you land on a dry runway with drift.

Very true

Vernon Howells

I mean't kicking out the crab, not stomping on the rudder like the Airbus Pilot did climbing out of JFK and tearing the plane apart..  Cheez.......

Zakly when was that bob? Can't find any references ....

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Chas

American Airlines Flight 587.  The crew repeatedly use full left and right rudder and caused enormous stress on the airplane tearing the rudder off.

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/AAR0404.aspx

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Chas

Was over a decade ago. It was an Airbus A310 or something like that.. Got caught in windshear on takeoff and tried to use the rudder to get out of it, but it put too much stress on the aircraft, and the tail ripped apart in flight. At least that's what I think what happened.. What he was doing wasn't exactly wrong, it was just wrong for that type of aircraft. I believe he flew C130's before, and that was actual the correct method of exiting windshear on that type of aircraft. But, the C130 has a much, lets say, "stronger" tail and rudder section, that could handle that kind of stress.

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET