Sign in to follow this  
dromeascr

WX radar

The WX radar is fully functional as far as I know (at least it is supposed to, correct me in case I'm missinformed), however, pressing the WXR button in the EFIS will have no effect (the WX in the ND is displayed), no clouds would be shown in the ND even if overcast. I'm using ASN, any suggestions? (I'm 100% sure that this has posted before, but I don't know if there's a search function in the forum or something, if there is one, please let me know, so I will not recycle old topics, ever again.)

Thanks.

Hi,

It may be a confusion here about what you should see on the ND with the weather radar.

A weather radar detects precipitations and droplets like in rainfall, wet hail and wet turbulence, ice crystals, dry hail and dry snow. But it doesn't detect clouds or fog when there is no precipitation or where the droplets are too small.

So it is perfectly normal to get no radar returns on the ND even with an overcast sky if there is no precipitation inside or under the clouds.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

I had tried the ASN's trial in the past, (the WXR in the ND hadn't showed a single cloud during the trial as well), when the trial expired, I put some dlls I found in the internet, and from that point, the WXR was showing the clouds in the ND. (Using any FSX's weather theme or FSX's real time weather) I think the ASN overrides those dlls with original ones, because even when putting them back, once I got in-flight, the WXR was still showing nothing. When I put those dlls (without the ASN running), the WXR was working like this: 

cBRWXEa.png

2oIwe3X.png

59XsbCe.png

I think it's a technical issue, that's why I'm seeking for help. If it's the case you mentioned above, I still haven't seen anything in the WXR mode (Come on, I'm sure I have came across precipitation clouds, but still I'm gonna confirm it's an issue by testing the WXR in a region where precipitation is present.)

Any troobleshooting in mind? 

Thanks

If you suspect something wrong the weather radar 

I started writting a post but something went wrong. Anyway, seeing you post afterwards, it seems that the issue is getting fixed.

Edited by Budbud

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

I just read the FAQ in the official Hifi support page, I kinda sorted things out now, I will test the WXR in a precipitation region though, to ensure it is working. 

I don't know if there's a search function in the forum or something, if there is one, please let me know, so I will not recycle old topics, ever again

Make certain you on the forum topics page and not within a topic. In the upper right corner of the forum page you will see a box with Search in it - left click in the box, Search will disappear - type your keyword/keywords enclose by the quote sign - to the right you will see a gray box with Google in it - left click on that box - a dropdown selection will appear - put the bullet in This Forum - click the symbol in the green box. Your search results will appear in several seconds.

The WX radar is fully functional as far as I know (at least it is supposed to, correct me in case I'm missinformed), however, pressing the WXR button in the EFIS will have no effect (the WX in the ND is displayed), no clouds would be shown in the ND even if overcast. I'm using ASN, any suggestions? (I'm 100% sure that this has posted before, but I don't know if there's a search function in the forum or something, if there is one, please let me know, so I will not recycle old topics, ever again.)

Thanks.

Weather radar doesn't show clouds.

You could have 72,000 vertical feet of clouds, and you'll see not a spec on the radar.

...unless there is precipitation in those clouds. Radar finds precipitation, not clouds. Huge misconception of the sim crowd.

Kyle Rodgers

It is working...

It's just the precipitation/thunderstorms which are shown, I should have listened to you in the first place... 

If you suspect something wrong the weather radar 

I started writting a post but something went wrong. Anyway, seeing you post afterwards, it seems that the issue is getting fixed.

and I wondering why it was making no sense :

Weather radar doesn't show clouds.

You could have 72,000 vertical feet of clouds, and you'll see not a spec on the radar.

...unless there is precipitation in those clouds. Radar finds precipitation, not clouds. Huge misconception of the sim crowd.

Hi Kyle,

Wasn't it what I just said in the first place?

You are getting old or tired!  :Tounge:

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

You are getting old or tired! 

Occasionally so tired of answering the same questions/assertions that I don't even bother reading the thread. I just answer it. No idea where weather-radar-as-cloud-finder came from, but if I meet him or her, it'll be like a 1980s hockey game between the Rangers and Flyers...

Kyle Rodgers

No idea where weather-radar-as-cloud-finder came from, but if I meet him or her, it'll be like a 1980s hockey game between the Rangers and Flyers...

If there's something strange wrong

In your neighborhood forum

Who you gonna call

(Ghostbusters) Mythbusters

[AKA Kyle]

:Devil:

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

No idea where weather-radar-as-cloud-finder came from

I remember in 2014 when SP1 was just released, there had been threads and videos on how to enable the 777's weather radar to keep functioning when the ASN trial expired, and that involved installing a specific DLL to "trick" the 777 into thinking clouds = precipitation, which George mentioned above as a cloud detector.

The DLL would pretty much turn the 777's WXR into a cloud detector. It would show ALL clouds even non precipitation cirrus clouds onto the WXR.

I'm willing to bet that's where the "wxr = cloud" misconception started for the PMDG 777.

However, I have purchased ASN since day 1 so I have lost track of the URLS containing these tutorial links I randomly came across. I have zero interest in using software in a way that isn't meant to be used.

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

I remember in 2014 when SP1 was just released

If only it were that recent. It goes back pretty far, actually. I remember trying to answer "why won't it have weather radar????" posts as far back as the NGX development days and I know it went farther back. People were all claiming it was easy by pulling the cloud positions out of the sim. Sure. That'll show you the position of something that *might* cause precip, but that isn't what radar does. It shows actual precip.

Kyle Rodgers