Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

AI Traffic For P3D v3.1 - For a Complete New Guy

I just a couple days ago fully and completely (well mostly) moved from FSX to a brand new P3D v3.1.  Nearly all of my add-ons have moved over easily with a couple having to be moved to the "new purchase list".  The major thing I have still to sort out is some AI traffic.  In FSX I had been using UT2.  I was satisfied, but had been starting to look for other solutions.  In particular, it's old schedule (from 2010 on my verison) and liveries, as well as near complete lack of cargo traffic were it's weaknesses for me.  I had been looking at WOAI in FSX, with some of the work to convert flightplans, etc.  I've shared my thoughts below on the options I'm aware of, but they are very uneducated being brand new to P3D.  I was hoping some with experience could enlighten me.

1. WOAI/Freeware Packages: This appeals quite a bit to me.  I heavily fly between a predictable, fairly small group of US airports.  Almost entirely major international hubs, but some large regional airports as well.  Most of my flying for a bit will be in the Majestic Dash 8, as the PMDG NGX will have to wait a bit for me to have funds for the P3D license.  I would be able to pick a small number of the major airlines needed at most of these airports to get the atmosphere, but can forego the small poorly represented ones.  For most of the airports I fly into/out of, AAL, UAL, SWA will occupy most of the gates in real life.  A few Delta, Lufthansa, BA for variety and it'd look pretty realistic.  I could also compile my own packages/models to fill in the few missing blanks such as FedEx.  My limitation right now is that I can not find a succinct description anywhere about how to install WOAI in to P3D.  I've read about converting the flightplans (I haven't done it yet, but that looks straightforward enough) and maybe even the models (looks less straightforward).  I would likely at least try this if I can find such a succinct summary.

2. UT2: I have this already and have outlines it's weakness for me.  Again, I understand it needs a bit of a work around to install in to P3D, but I haven't seen a detailed explanation yet.  I feel my version is starting to get quite dated in liveries, etc and while this didn't bother me sometime ago, seeing red/gold SWA flights, continental colors, etc. are getting to me.

3. My Traffic 6: I've seen mixed feelings on this around the web.  I do like the fact that it has cargo (including FedEx), military, civilian, and is fairly up to date.  However, I had gotten an earlier version (My Traffic 5.something...early though) and the models honestly just looked terrible.  The pictures on the internet I see look better, but still a bit child like.  I'm not looking for anything awesome per se, but at least more than 8 polygons.

I would be thankful for any guidance.

Eric Szczesniak

For me UT2 is still the winner with (on my system) the best performance and better looking models. With the free power pack and free updated schedules from AlphaIndia Group its pretty easy (can be time consuming) to get schedules and liveries up to date, even add cargo. 

I hope that since UT2's developer has surfaced again that they develop a new version.

I found this video easy to follow to install it.

I think My Traffic 6 looks pretty good, and I am a pilot and have been around airports my entire life. On the other hand, I don't preoccupy myself with staring at minute details of AI aircraft, I am usually busy flying the one I am in.  I like the fact that you install My Traffic 6, and that's it. You don't have to screw around, and modify this, and adjust that, and fix this, it just works. When I fly into an airport, I see traffic, that would be there in real life. That's all I need. MT6 just was updated a couple of weeks ago, and I like that fact that it is a work in progress. I even emailed the programmer with a question about adding effects to the AI aircraft last week , and got a prompt response from him the same day. FPS are excellent, by the way. There many threads on this topic if you do a search of the forum. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Save yourself headaches down the road and use one that is in active development and is P3Dv3.1 compliant, which would be MyTrafficPro 6.0a

• Upvote 1

I get horrible performance with MT6.  Thankfully I only paid $20 for it back when the product debuted.  I may give UT2 a try next.

I think My Traffic 6 looks pretty good, and I am a pilot and have been around airports my entire life. On the other hand, I don't preoccupy myself with staring at minute details of AI aircraft, I am usually busy flying the one I am in.  I like the fact that you install My Traffic 6, and that's it. You don't have to screw around, and modify this, and adjust that, and fix this, it just works. When I fly into an airport, I see traffic, that would be there in real life. That's all I need. MT6 just was updated a couple of weeks ago, and I like that fact that it is a work in progress. I even emailed the programmer with a question about adding effects to the AI aircraft last week , and got a prompt response from him the same day. FPS are excellent, by the way. There many threads on this topic if you do a search of the forum. 

I appreciate these comments.  I'm a bit on the fence.  I agree with you that I am not looking for high detailed AI aircraft that I can go "plane watching".  And honestly, so of the models back in My Traffic 5.whatever weren't bad...the common one's like Boeings and Airbusses.  I just remember others, particularly the regional/smaller a/c that looked awful.

Eric Szczesniak

Hi Eric

If I may offer another couple of suggestions for you You can add UT2 to p3d however as you have suggested your plans may well be out of date.But,you can update them which then opens up option 2

Depending on how long you want to spend on doing this as it can become a little time consuming but in my opinion offers the best of everything. And is free.

If you look in the downloaded file sections you will see that although they are in the fs2004 ai section there are lots of AI models most of which are used in UT2 plus some much better models,

then by downloading the free aifp program and going to the alpha india site you can download for free, flightplans for hundreds of airlines including cargo and charters,you then simply create the plans and use them in p3d and fsx.By this method you can also have military and exec aircraft in the sim as well .

I still use fsx and I have one folder that links to both fsx and p3d so no doubling up. I still have UT2 which I still use in fsx, but when I update an airline that is in UT2 I simply delete the airline schedule and use the newly created one.If you want anymore info pm me,it does take a little while to get the hang of but the sims look much better in my opinion,

Also I'm not sure if your aware but in UT2 its not always the correct aircraft type used eg a330 instead of an a340

cheers

Pete Little

Hi Eric

If I may offer another couple of suggestions for you You can add UT2 to p3d however as you have suggested your plans may well be out of date.But,you can update them which then opens up option 2

Depending on how long you want to spend on doing this as it can become a little time consuming but in my opinion offers the best of everything. And is free.

If you look in the downloaded file sections you will see that although they are in the fs2004 ai section there are lots of AI models most of which are used in UT2 plus some much better models,

then by downloading the free aifp program and going to the alpha india site you can download for free, flightplans for hundreds of airlines including cargo and charters,you then simply create the plans and use them in p3d and fsx.By this method you can also have military and exec aircraft in the sim as well .

I still use fsx and I have one folder that links to both fsx and p3d so no doubling up. I still have UT2 which I still use in fsx, but when I update an airline that is in UT2 I simply delete the airline schedule and use the newly created one.If you want anymore info pm me,it does take a little while to get the hang of but the sims look much better in my opinion,

Also I'm not sure if your aware but in UT2 its not always the correct aircraft type used eg a330 instead of an a340

cheers

Thank you very much for the offer.  Once I get settled down with the new install, I think I very well may message you.  I've figured out how to assign/substitute a/c in a flight plan through AIFP, but I have yet to figure out how to compile the plan and a/c, and then install them.

Eric Szczesniak

Be also aware about a small but annoying detail in UT2: the aircraft out of the box are all only ONE engine variant. Means: all A32x planes are only in their CFM variant. All A330 have GE engines. All 747 come in the GE engine variant etc. This leads sometimes to totally wrong pictures and like that, you have some unrealistic paints or no paints at all (so called "Daedalus" planes).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Selfmade AI Traffic is the best what you can get.

pos:

- up-to-date flightplans and Traffics (A350, Boeing 787-8/-9)

- Great Models by FAIB

- nice looking models and frames friendly

- is for free

- bgl Files compiled for v3.1

• Upvote 1

I use MyTraffic 6 with the "Air Traffic Manager" App that's available for free. I set the traffic level to 6% for the PMDG 777 and 10% for the PMDG 737. Plenty of traffic at those levels. The Air Traffic Manager App is essential in my opinion. It adds another 15 - 20 fps for me my removing distant traffic you'll never see. Brilliant little program.

I use MyTraffic 6 with the "Air Traffic Manager" App that's available for free. I set the traffic level to 6% for the PMDG 777 and 10% for the PMDG 737. Plenty of traffic at those levels. The Air Traffic Manager App is essential in my opinion. It adds another 15 - 20 fps for me my removing distant traffic you'll never see. Brilliant little program.

I use My Traffic 6 and Air Traffic Manager too. I set commercial traffic at 20% which is more than enough, and set max aircraft at 50. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I hope that since UT2's developer has surfaced again that they develop a new version.

Hi

Where did you find this out? - should be good news I hope!

Chris

Thank you very much for the offer.  Once I get settled down with the new install, I think I very well may message you.  I've figured out how to assign/substitute a/c in a flight plan through AIFP, but I have yet to figure out how to compile the plan and a/c, and then install them.

No problem the compile part is simply a click of a button let me know if you need any help

Pete Little