Sign in to follow this  
teopereira

Landing distance on wet and on dry runways

1) Is there any difference between the landing distance on a dry and on a wet runway in Prepar3d? Or is the "wet runway" only a visual effect?

2) On an icy and wet runway, is the landing distance grater than on a wet runway in Prepar3d?

3) If not, is there a software that REALLY can take these variables into account and simulate these frictions in Prepar3d?

Thanks

1) Is there any difference between the landing distance on a dry and on a wet runway in Prepar3d? Or is the "wet runway" only a visual effect?

There is no water in FSX, FSX:SE or P3D - all visual effects.

2) On an icy and wet runway, is the landing distance grater than on a wet runway in Prepar3d?

No water -> no ice.

3) If not, is there a software that REALLY can take these variables into account and simulate these frictions in Prepar3d?

There are some, but I don't know of any well-known ones that won't compromise sim physics.

Kyle Rodgers

Not to doubt you, Kyle, but I am fairly certain that there is a difference in friction coefficient between wet, dry, snow-covered and ice-covered runways in FSX (and I presume P3D).

Not saying it's anywhere near realistic... but I am 99.9% certain the effect does exist and may even be tweakable (but, again, let's not get in to the shambles that is the basic FSX ground friction model).

• Upvote 1

Hi,

There is one that I heard of but I don't what it's worth.

It is called Sim Physics designed by FSPS. You may have a look on their website.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Not to doubt you, Kyle, but I am fairly certain that there is a difference in friction coefficient between wet, dry, snow-covered and ice-covered runways in FSX (and I presume P3D).

Let me know when you find it...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526981.aspx

(Hint: It's not there.)

Kyle Rodgers

Very interesting link Kyle, I'm sure it's ye old, but I was never close to reading that, thanks for sharing.

Cool thing with flight simulator, it sometimes can be a flight stimulator, i.e. on a wet looking runway it can feel to be a pain to get her to slowing down :)

23.png

Let me know when you find it...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526981.aspx

(Hint: It's not there.)

That's only the list of external variables accessible by SimConnect and xml gauges. FSX has a lot more going on in it than that. Weather in FSX is not just a visual effect. Rain, snow and ice affect static, rolling and sliding friction. Not necessarily in a good way (in fact definitely not realistically), but they do have an effect. FSUIPC is able to access the offsets for friction data and products like Frictionality provide a way to adjust friction if you know what you are doing (it's not very user friendly).

FSX has function tables for rolling, sliding and braking friction (dry, wet and snow) for a wide variety of possible ground surfaces including snow and ice.

ki9cAAb.jpg

There is no water in FSX, FSX:SE or P3D - all visual effects.

No water -> no ice.

There are some, but I don't know of any well-known ones that won't compromise sim physics.

Not to argue but I think you need to go land that Maule on some ice, snow or whatever.  I'm almost positive that FSX and P3D try to mimic the conditions of landing on them.

Anyone want to verify?  Take the Maule put the skies down and land on the asphalt then go land on the snow covered tundra and let us know how it goes.  Better yet, I just tried it, go to McMurdo.  Slip and slide all the way down.

Now that being said, this is all the personal observation and is obviously not handled per aircraft as it seems to be integrated into the simulator.  So as far as I know no developer would be able to change the characteristics of any of their aircraft to be more/less realistic as to an aircrafts handling on a contaminated runway.

• Upvote 2

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

I'm almost positive that FSX and P3D try to mimic the conditions of landing on them.

Based on your and Kevin's responses, I'll take it that my position is incorrect. Either way, it isn't something an aircraft dev is really going to mess with. That's something more for a scenery, or better yet, a weather group.

Kyle Rodgers

Based on your and Kevin's responses, I'll take it that my position is incorrect. Either way, it isn't something an aircraft dev is really going to mess with. That's something more for a scenery, or better yet, a weather group.

I wouldn't say you were incorrect, you were referring to what a developer can do with aircraft.  I think its something encoded into FSX itself and applies to all aircraft equally so nothing any developer can do with it.  Then again I could be wrong.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

I wouldn't say you were incorrect, you were referring to what a developer can do with aircraft.  I think its something encoded into FSX itself and applies to all aircraft equally so nothing any developer can do with it.  Then again I could be wrong.

That makes sense. Not really something I'd want to mess with, personally, but I don't do scenery design.

Kyle Rodgers