Sign in to follow this  
eelis

Is Flight! and content still available?

Hi,

Trying to get the word out:  GFWL content is once again available as of March 25, 2016.

Jim F.

Hi,

Trying to get the word out:  GFWL content is once again available as of March 25, 2016.

Jim F.

Some were reporting that yesterday, but it didn't work for most. Trying again.

EDIT: Nope, Nothing.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hi,

Downloads still working for me.  I've downloaded the Mustang, Maule and Zero previews intermittently throughout the day.  They seemed to download and install without problems; I don't know how to check if they really are there.  I downloaded the Maule and all seems fine with it.  I've been hesitant to install the Hawaii pack without getting a bit more familiar with the basics.  When I initially downloaded Flight it hung-up at about 35% but I cancelled and tried again and it downloaded without any difficulty.  No other glitches.

HiFlyer:  Where did you see the other reports that downloads were working?  I had bookmarked a bunch of sites dealing with Flight and wasn't able to find any other  references.  I hadn't checked for several days and didn't want to post what was already common knowledge.

Jim F.

Hi,

Downloads still working for me.  I've downloaded the Mustang, Maule and Zero previews intermittently throughout the day.  They seemed to download and install without problems; I don't know how to check if they really are there.  I downloaded the Maule and all seems fine with it.  I've been hesitant to install the Hawaii pack without getting a bit more familiar with the basics.  When I initially downloaded Flight it hung-up at about 35% but I cancelled and tried again and it downloaded without any difficulty.  No other glitches.

HiFlyer:  Where did you see the other reports that downloads were working?  I had bookmarked a bunch of sites dealing with Flight and wasn't able to find any other  references.  I hadn't checked for several days and didn't want to post what was already common knowledge.

Jim F.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1182678&page=5

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_support/xbox_on_windows_support/f/5415/t/2138652.aspx

EDIT: After trying repeatedly, it finally worked: Seems you have to just stick with it if it takes a few times.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hi Devon,

Are YOU still there?  It seems as though there are very few people that have an interest in Flight.  Prior to posting in this thread I posted my observation that GFWL was working again and another post requesting suggestions about re-installing Flight.  Both posts show 0 views and 0 replies.

I personally lost interest when I first heard rumors that the Flight franchise was being sold and I fully expected it to be resurrected elsewhere and chose to hold off until then.  After awhile I returned to the relatively cartoonish FSX .  Nothing has come close to the immersive feeling I get with Flight.  Flying low in GA aircraft as realistically as possible is my thing and I fully understand the disappointment of others who prefer other types of flying not supported.

I've downloaded the rest of Hawaii and am still checking things out.  I did have some problems with braking using pedals but copied some values from my FSX Standard.xml to the Flight Standard.xml to correct them and all seems well.

I see that Stonelance has done a fantastic amount of work  and intend to take advantage of his efforts but am at a loss as to where to start;  I'm afraid of doing something irreversible and messing things up.  I've tried to find some overview of the Flight Toolkit but am having a hard time finding it.  I probably should just bite the bullet and install it and go from there but don't feel comfortable doing that.

Any suggestions you could provide as to how I should proceed would be more than welcome. And do you know of any forums that are still active?

Jim F. 

Any suggestions you could provide as to how I should proceed would be more than welcome. And do you know of any forums that are still active?

Jim F. 

This forum is still active, just people in semi-stealth mode.  :smile:

Stonelance is still out there and the Flight Toolkit site does have instructions, plus there are actually active threads here regarding use and installation.

If you like low, slow and smooth you might also try the Outerra demo. Its not a Flight-sim yet, but the potential is certainly there, and its a nice change from all the FSX derivatives.

Devons rig

Hi All, I joined a while ago and come most days, but usually don't sign in. I'm very interested in MS Flight. I downloaded the basic game a few years ago and then had to leave town for a time and deal with an aging relative with memory problems. By the time I returned, the DLC's were no longer being sold - one of my big regrets. I sure wish it was still available. Even though the servers have been turned off, I would love to have the rest of Hawaii and Alaska. I enjoy the ICON plane, but it would be nice to try some others. Even with the aerocaches not working, just the scenery would be nice so I could "go" some new places. I think what Stonelance and others are doing is a labor of love. I really appreciate the continuing interest in the game. It electrified me the first time I played because it looks so striking. The developers did a marvelous job.

I am mid 60's, handicapped (COPD-sheetrock dust, insulation,etc.) and not real skilled with computer stuff. I can do all the usual stuff and even spent a few days trying to learn about MSI errors when I installed the toolkit. I finally succeeded. But, many things go over my head. I am in awe of those of you who can program in something like this and just the basic program has given me a great deal of enjoyment - I can "go places" and "do things" vicariously. I have "run" to the telescopes twice.

I think Microsoft didn't give the game enough of a chance. I think when developers think of gamers, they visualize a younger teenager or young adult, who is maybe a bit hyper or impatient and wants something different from the games they play. In my case, I have a moderate computer and it is choppy a little bit sometimes in Flight, but acceptable to me. I don't foresee a gaming computer in my future. I have tried Flightgear and the FSX Demo from Steam and my computer is just a tad too slow for them. I don't have any interest in becoming a pilot. I have some complicated things I do most days and so when afternoon comes, I just like something that lets me escape and not work at intensely - MS Flight has been good this way. I even deleted the first program I initially got free from Steam and redownloaded Flight from Softonic. I did this so the aerocaches and missions were open again. As I said, for me it is fun and relaxing and that's all I want. I would also add that, with the number of Baby Boomers retiring and many of us lost a significant amount of money in the housing crash of 2008, that our later years will be a bit more confined. Most older folks have computers and it might just be that the market for Flight is older folks, because the program is so much more user friendly than any other I have seen. Older folks won't likely have big fast machines, but usually what they have is just capable of running MS Flight. The possibility of having the whole world as scenery, could give a lot of older folks some hours of enjoyment that wouldn't be so expensive. I know nothing about games or marketing, but it might be a way to fill some hours versus playing solitaire - which many do.

I understand from reading here that I must have FSX and use that, then the toolkit, to add scenery. I am unclear whether this will work for me without having gotten Hawaii and/or Alaska. I hope it will work. I am waiting till the Steam summer sale to see if they discount FSX. If not I will purchase it then for what it is priced at. As I mentioned, I am low skills when it comes to advanced computer things so any step by step or very explanatory stuff is a great big help. This is another thing that might help build popularity is to make it so easy to get into and set up.

There are a number of things I still don't understand about how this stuff works. Simplify is always good. I hope, if nothing else, I will be able to add more scenery, but if not, I still really admire Stonelance and anyone else who continues to work on this game that I like so much. Thank-you very much for what you are doing. I hope it will be of benefit to someone at some point.

Thanks for the lovely message.

Just so you know, you do need Hawaii and Alaska for the FSX converison, but with the toolkit you can download them for free.

Thanks Stonelance. As I mentioned I am quite inexperienced so any helpful info. you or any of the others could offer on how to acquire that Hawaii and Alaska content would be very much appreciated. I can go to the toolkit and click on the.exe files and get the boxes to show, but have not the slightest clue of how to work with any of this.

If you run Addon Manager you should see a bunch of addons listed in the pane at the bottom.  These are addons that are available but not installed.  If you click the checkbox it will start downloading and installing them.

Hello again,

Well, I have spent hours and hours and hours chasing down problems and trying to make sure my system will be right to accept MS Flight. I have done all kinds of system checks on files etc.(sfc /scannow) , ran Malwarebytes (199 PUPs found), deleted MS Flight, Flight Toolkit, deleted numerous old or duplicate files and so on - did this so I could be sure there were no corrupted files etc.  I couldn't get my system (Windows 10) to delete MS Flight, Flight Toolkit or FSX Demo from Steam. I got IOBIT and it said it had deleted them, but when I looked up their files locations - the files were still there. When I tried deleting the Toolkit before the box came up to repair or delete and it ran for a while and then said it couldn't do it and displayed a log file location and an error code - 0x80070643. I manually deleted all the files for Flight and Toolkit. I have been reading Tech boards and been to Microsoft sites about Windows 10 and there is an unfixed, as of yet, problem within this OS that affects NET framework and Microsoft Installer as I had messages and code that indicated this was occurring. It happened installing Toolkit but eventually it worked - but I don't know why. I haven't been able to find out what the problem is but my system scans and registry checks all come back good. Having researched this at Microsoft, questions from users, now, link to a place that essentially is circular and it seems from memory that an earlier remedy was taken down.

I guess my problem now is that I want to do it all correctly and start with the GFWL step, then install Flight, followed by the Toolkit. Before when I opened the ADDON Manager it showed I had the basic package, but in the lower box nothing was there because I guess without the GFWL there isn't an address or gateway for Toolkit to use. The newest problem is that GFWL won't accept me signing up - I had not done this previously. After I enter my email, it tells me I have to have cookies turned on - I have checked again and again and they are all permitted. I get error code 80048823 which has to do with windows phone. I am working from my PC - no phone involved? I have tried 'Live' and 'Forgot Password' and 'sign in' and nothing happens.

I don't know what to do at this point. I try to do as much of this on my own. I don't want to ask stupid or lazy questions. I try everything I can think of before I come here and ask. Your time means a lot to you and me. Maybe I am locked out - too bad tough luck. I sure hope not.

Well, I did finally get signed up etc, but I can't figure how to get a product key. Also, when I open the program (Flight) the GFWL box comes up every

time I push any key to play. It won't let me proceed any farther.

Run the flight toolkit and set it for non-gfwl mode. Afterward try to get into the game again.

Devons rig

You can't get product keys on GFWL any more.  If you didn't already have a profile and had used Microsoft Flight on GFWL in the past, you can no longer gain access it.  As HiFlyer states, just use the Non-GFWL mode.  If you have already installed you should be able to change this mode from the toolbar in Addon Manager.

You need to uninstall Steam stuff from the steam client.  If you right click Microsoft Flight in the library list, there should be an option to remove local content\files.