Sign in to follow this  
Raufvogel

Altimeter Setting sound warning

Screenshot 1 - Once cleared above 3000 ft press STD. Your Transition Altitude is not set correctly. It should be 3000 in VNAV 1/3.

Screenshot 2 - 1013 HPA is amber because you have gone above whatever altitude is set for transition altitude and have not pressed STD.

Screenshot 4 - STD has changed to amber because you have descended below the transition level set in the Descent Forecast.

Screenshots 4 and 5 - you need to press the STD button to set the Altimeter to 1009 HPA. Once you do that, the STD will disappear and 1009 HPA will appear in green on the PFD. And shutoff the center tank fuel pumps.

Do not be concerned with the Transition Altitude at EDDH. It is the Transition Level you should be concerned with and I am guessing it is 6000 ft.

RAAS is going to get a bit confused if STD is changed a lot.  Here's your basic flow for the barometer setting in flight.

1.) While on ground, change the 2 position selector knob to either IN (your pressure would be something like 29.92 for this) or HPA (something like 1013,) depending on your origin location.  Generically speaking, use IN in the USA and HPA everywhere else.  There are exceptions, but that's the short version.

2.) Set barometer to local pressure via either turning the knob or just cheating and pressing "b"

3.) After taking off, during climb, press the button for "STD" when passing the Transition Altitude.

4.) Leave it in STD for cruise and the beginning of your descent

5.) When in cruise, change the 2 position selector to either IN or HPA if it'll be the different format where you're landing than where you took off (i.e. KORD->EGLL or whatever)

6.) When crossing the Transition Level in descent, press the button for "STD" again, and set the altimeter to whatever ATC or your weather program tells you (or just cheat and press "b" again)

7.) Don't hit the STD button anymore, just adjust to match pressure changes during your descent from either changing weather or just different weather at your location.  As this is a sim, don't feel bad about hitting "b" a few more times, mainly when you're starting your final approach.

Note that I'm only addressing the barometer setting here and not anything with regards to DH or anything.  Does this clear anything up?

Thanks,

-stefan strandberg

Screenshot 1 - Once cleared above 3000 ft press STD. Your Transition Altitude is not set correctly. It should be 3000 in VNAV 1/3.

Thank you Michael, I'm very happy with this lessons.

Coincidentally, on 1-2-16, I thought for the first time as the Arrival TRANSITION ALT of 5000 AT ONCE to complete, so now first fill the Departure TRANSITION ALT 3000' and then change LATER to Arrival TRANSITION ALT to 5000"

I'm going to make this flight again, and I'll try all the advices to apply

RAAS is going to get a bit confused if STD is changed a lot. Here's your basic flow for the barometer setting in flight.

Thank you Stefan, for all flight values I look at in PFPX such QNH or ALTITUDE FL370 etc. And airport data as TRANSITION ALT I'm looking at Fly cards.

I'm going to make the same flight more than once and then hope that I can understand your advice, and WILL apply IT.

I printed all your advice and go try them out quietly.

Later I'll report back this.

Thanks to you both, an apology for my language errors, hahaha

Regards, Jaap Mooijer

so now first fill the Departure TRANSITION ALT 3000' and then change LATER to Arrival TRANSITION ALT to 5000"

At your arrival airport it is called transition level and not transition altitude and at EDDH it is probably 1000 ft. higher than the TA or 6000 ft. Be sure to enter that on the Descent Forecast page.

At your arrival airport it is called transition level and not transition altitude

Hello Michael, i read on flight chart "Trans Level: By ATC"

It is not possible to read the TRANS LEVEL on a flight chart, or maybe PFPX?

I found this on internet: http://www.captainsim.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1346957743/4#4

How to calculate flight level: https://airplanemanager.com/flightcalculator.aspx

Is this usable pls?

Hello Michael, i read on flight chart "Trans Level: By ATC"

It is not possible to read the TRANS LEVEL on a flight chart, or maybe PFPX?

I don't believe PFPX has any TA or TL information anywhere in their reports. Most charts only have "Trans Level: By ATC". Two exceptions that come to mind are VHHH and Japanese airports where the TL is printed on the chart

Looking at my various charts (including the navigraph lido charts) I only see the TA, not the TL.  For sim purposes when not flying on VATSIM either use the TA + 1000 feet, or use the TA, or if in the US it's FL180.  Right now I'm more worried about getting your flows right than getting the specifics like that correct.  Also, I may be misreading you a bit, but you can set the TL before or during flight.  You don't change anything you set earlier.

You set the TA on the "Climb" VNAV page, and you set the TL on the "Forecast" page of the "Descent" VNAV page.  A bit confusing, to be sure.  Does that help at all?  For now though I'd worry less about what the specific correct TA/TL are until you get the hang of where to set them and when to use STD.

-stefan strandberg

For sim purposes when not flying on VATSIM either use the TA + 1000 feet

Hi Stefan, just like Michael mentioned, for TRANS LEVEL use TA + 1000' is possible...

But I found at the PMDG 777-Tutorial this example, page 11-1A Jeppesen;

ScreenHunter_524Feb.0218.26.png

TA + 2000'

I also have to find out how or where exactly to place TRANS LEVEL in FMC...

I found a NGX Descent Forecast Tutorial from Kyle Rogers on YouTube about the B738, now i know something more about it, in my case LSL 1 should be FL70 i think, because TA = 5000'

I also have to find out how or where exactly to place TRANS LEVEL in FMC....

See post #3 sentences 3,4, and 5. Or FCOM2 starting at page 11.43.6.

I also have to find out how or where exactly to place TRANS LEVEL in FMC....

You'll find that field on the descent forecast page.  For future use, you could open FCOM v2 and use Ctrl+F to open FIND widget and enter "transition level" and bam you've got your answer.

EDIT or follow Michael's advice.

Dan Downs KCRP

enter the transition level on line 1. When you roll the MCP altitude above your transition altitude press the STD button. When you roll the MCP altitude below your transition level, set the current altimeter and press the STD button.

I think i got it

Instruction B738 seen on YouTube

TA = 5000' then TL will be 7000' i think (but TAI/ON ALT)

ScreenHunter_524Feb.0221.02.png

Thank you all, I will try now

(but TAI/ON ALT)

That's for the altitude that you plan to turn the anti-ice on while descending. I never turn it on so I don't use that field.

And forget what you saw on the OMDB chart showing a difference of 2000 ft. between TA and TL. Use a 1000 ft.

Your Transition Altitude is not set correctly. It should be 3000 in VNAV 1/3

The T7 is flying now, once i have to change the TA to 5000' for EDDH, i'think during decent?

And forget what you saw on the OMDB chart showing a difference of 2000 ft. between TA and TL. Use a 1000 ft.

Okay, thank you!!