Sign in to follow this  
Raufvogel

Altimeter Setting sound warning

The T7 is flying now, once i have to change the TA to 5000' for EDDH, i'think during decent?

Okay, thank you!!

Don't worry about the TA during descent, it won't be used after the initial climb.  You'll stay on local QNH during any go-arounds, and if you somehow end up going around and diverting that's an abnormal procedure I think which means the QRH would probably talk about it.  It's not something you normally set after your initial climb as far as I recall, so don't worry about it.  Honestly I still think you're somewhat overthinking this for your current knowledge of the plane, but that's just personal opinion.

-stefan strandberg

Honestly I still think you're somewhat overthinking this for your current knowledge of the plane, but that's just personal opinion.

Thank you Stefan, I have changed a lot this time in FMC and have therefore missed my APP, and after re-enabling STD after the TL height STD letters were still amber in color, tomorrow i will make some new flights and I try all over again.

I am very happy with the new knowledge I've learned, and want to thank you for that.
Regards, Jaap Mooijer

I think something's still not quite right.  On almost every flight, even ones iwth missed approaches, you press STD *one time* as you are climbing, when you are crossing the TA (transition altitude.)  You then press STD *one time* when you are descending, when you are crossing the TL (transition level.)  You will never press it again unless you have a divert with a climb after crossing it, but you shouldn't be worrying about that right now.  Basically it is a button that is hit twice and only twice on each flight.  Don't press it after a missed approach.

You're doing pretty well though and starting to get the hang of things it sounds, you're just overthinking the STD button.

-stefan strandberg

(yes I know there are exceptions to this, but now isn't the time to be worrying about that.)

4.) Leave it in STD for cruise and the beginning of your descent

After starting of descent i switched of STD

6.) When crossing the Transition Level in descent, press the button for "STD" again, and set the altimeter to whatever ATC or your weather program tells you (or just cheat and press "b" again)

After crossing TL i pressed STD on again, and also i pressed the B for the right QNH.

I think something's still not quite right.

Maybe i'm making still a mistake at 4.) :Nail Biting: 

Regards Jaap

After starting of descent i switched of STD

After crossing TL i pressed STD on again, and also i pressed the B for the right QNH.

Maybe i'm making still a mistake at 4.) :Nail Biting:

Regards Jaap

Yes - you're making the mistake when switching off STD at start of descent.  Leave it in STD during your descent until you're crossing the TL.

By pressing STD teh second time and then hitting B, I think you're just preloading it in STD mode, which isn't what you want.  I think that's how the 777 works - the NGX would probably put it back.  But hte point is you shouldn't press it when starting your descent, only when you're far enough along that you're crossing the TL during your descent.

The short version is when you're closer to the ground, you're in local mode, and when you're further from the ground, you're in STD mode.  That's a gross oversimplification, but maybe it will help!

You're close, though!

-stefan strandberg

I could be wrong but I don't think you have flown Tutorial 1 yet. If you have not, do it. If you have you might want to look at Tutorial 1 again in particular the climb and descent part. Even though there is no weather in the Tutorial and all altimeter settings are 29.92 or 1013, there is still an easily understood explanation of when to use the actual altimeter setting and when to use STD. Remember it is TA on climb and TL on descent which is usually 1000 ft. higher than TA . And those two  numbers need to be entered into the FMC otherwise you are going to be seeing a lot of amber settings and amber STD.

Hello Stefan, i'm back now. Thank you for all the information. Indeed i've T7 PMDG Tutorial 1, and i will read all of it you mentioned

Remember it is TA on climb and TL on descent which is usually 1000 ft. higher than TA

I maked a new test flight. EBBR 25L - EHAM 27 SID HELE5C STAR HELE1A and TRANSITION RIVER

EBBR TRANS ALT = 4500' and TRANS LEVEL = 5500' QNH 1016

EHAM TRANS ALT = 3000' and TRANS LEVEL = 4000' QNH 1013

FL200

INPUT VNAV

TRANS ALT in VNAF is 4500' for EBBR

TRANS LEVEL in VNAF/FORCAST is 4000' for Schiphol EHAM

I switched to STD at 4500' on Brussel EBBR

I did' not changed TRANS ALT for Schiphol EHAM from EBBR 4500' to EHAM 3000'

I've not seeing AMBER colors in this flight

The LANDING at Schiphol Amsterdam was perfect

Will you inspect my used settings please

EBBRTA.png

EHAMTL3-2-16.png

No Autoland?

LandingB7420d9f6.png

Regards, Jaap Mooijer

The LANDING at Schiphol Amsterdam was perfect

All of it looks good.

No Autoland?

Search FCOM2 for no autoland for the various things that could be wrong. There are numerous returns that tell you what might have caused the problem. See post #25 about how to search.

I did' not changed TRANS ALT for Schiphol EHAM from EBBR 4500' to EHAM 3000'

IMO it would be better to change the TA to 3000 ft. This way in a go-around you won't forget to set to STD once passing the transition altitude.

Search FCOM2

Thank you, what kind of program is FCOM2, i cant find it on YouTube...

IMO it would be better to change the TA to 3000 ft. This way in a go-around you won't forget to set to STD once passing the transition altitude.

Thanks, you mean, when you flying at 2000", and you have to make a Go-Around, the aircraft must rise again, and if you reached TA, again clicking STD, and when you get above TL then you should during the fall again STD press when you cross TL.

At what time I can change the best approach TRANS ALT in VNAV during the flight?

Thank you, what kind of program is FCOM2, i cant find it on YouTube...

Thanks, you mean, when you flying at 2000", and you have to make a Go-Around, the aircraft must rise again, and if you reached TA, again clicking STD, and when you get above TL then you should during the fall again STD press when you cross TL.

At what time I can change the best approach TRANS ALT in VNAV during the flight?

FCOM2 is Volume 2 of the FCOM (Flight Crew Operations Manual) that came in the documentation of the plane you purchased from PMDG.

For now, I strongly suggest not worrying about setting STD on a go-around.  Worry about that later.  Keep redoing the tutorial flight (or do similiar flights while applying what you learned in the tutorial flight) and worry about Go-Arounds later, especially setting the altimeter to STD for go-arounds.

For now, set the TA on the ground before you leave, and set the TL either on the ground before you leave, or while in cruise.  Seriously, don't worry about the TA again until your next flight.

-stefan strandberg

FCOM2 is Volume 2 of the FCOM (Flight Crew Operations Manual) that came in the documentation of the plane you purchased from PMDG.

Hello Stefan, many thanks... These are all the manuals I've received?

ScreenHunter_525Feb.0321.01.png

I've maked this evening a flight: EHAM 27-EGLL 27R, not one SOUND warning or FMC warning received, only RADIO 200 is AMBER for a moment, the flight was more then perfect.

Also i have not changed EGLL TRANS ALT to 6000'. I'm very graitfull with the AVSIM team, thank you all.

ARRIVAL AT EGLL 27R HEATHROW LONDON

ScreenHunter_525Feb.0320.52.png

Regards, Jaap Mooijer

These are all the manuals I've received?

Please see page 38 of the Introduction for a list of publications that you received.  Then open the Operations Center (OC) and for the 777 product select documents, which provides you easy access to each. All documents are saved in the ...\PMDG\PMDG 777X\Flight Manuals folder if you want to look for them.

Dan Downs KCRP

Then open the Operations Center (OC) and for the 777 product select documents

Thank you Dan, i'll found it, and i know what FCOM v2 is now...

ScreenHunter_525Feb.0322.49.png

Regards, Jaap Mooijer

Great, glad things seem to be going better!  Keep working on those normal procedures, read the FCTM when you have time, and look things up in the FCOMs when you're curious about things.

Good luck!!

-stefan strandberg

Edit: You have some alerts on your EICAS for the fuel tanks!  This might be a good exercise to practice using the QRH (Quick Reference Handbook) to see what to do about those warnings.  Let me know if you need help doing that!