Sign in to follow this  

Need a GTN 750 RNAV approach tutorial. Badly.

Ok, thanks, Jim! I will keep a close eye on TERM the next time! ;) And good to know it is a bug indeed and not something wrong on my end.

anyone up for a flight from GUC to APA on vatsim? Headed to GUC right now in the duke. Looking for some bad weather flying.

In the meantime I am having a lot of fun with the GTN. This evening I flew into ENSN and oddly enough there were no approaches AT ALL in the GTN while my database is from last december and the approach plates were from may 2015. Even a few waypoints couldn't be found at all!!! Very strange. But... no problem with the GNT 750! I simply looked where the two main waypoints of the approach were located and added them as temporary user waypoints! Graphically changed the flightpath and done! Worked like a charm! Big fun! :smile:

Could someone please confirm what nav data the GTN750 uses? I can't see it on navigraph

It uses the navdata from the Garmin PC Trainer Lite that it is required when you install Flight1 GTN series.

As far as I am concerned, navigraph air cycles would not work on this.

Correct. Navigraph and similar data doesn't work with the GTN 750. Unfortunately. It's almost odd no one has been able to get it working...? But I suppose that's because of legal stuff.

I am discovering new nice little options all the time. This evening I discovered that the trip timer, which I have placed in the lower right corner of the map (which on its own is an awesome feature) can be set to launch 'In air'! By default it is set to start at engine start but having it start counting as soon as I have taken off is GREAT!

The GTN 750 is one of my best flightsim purchases ever. What a joy. (Even though I don't have charts in Norway but that's no problem because my iPad is far more convenient for that!).

Try VCALC too Jeroen, when your chart says you need to be at 5,000' crossing a given waypoint for example you can enter 5000' at 0nm from [a waypoint in your FP] and a msg will pop up when it's time to start down. Also you can select "vertical speed required" as one of your user data fields and it'll show you the FPM value needed to arrive at that waypoint at the selected altitude. VCALC is on the Utilities page.

Jim

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the tip, Jim! I already had a look at VCALC and tried it once but forgot about it later on in the flight. ;) I didn't know though about the vertical required speed being an option for a user field: I will certainly try that! Choosing the right time to start a descent (and figuring out the right vertical speed) is one of my weak points so the coming flights I will certainly test this!

Those user fields are great: pity there are only 4. ;) I think I will swap my current wind field with this required vertical speed one because this one I can actually use! And my trip timer might perhaps run just as well in the background so I will have another look for that corner in the extremely long list of possible options. If someone has another great tip for this, let me know! (My other fields are ground speed, which I will certainly keep, and distance to the next waypoint, which I will also certainly keep).

OMG...I love doing the LPV approaches, Thanks to all of you, i would of never got it, ifwasn't for these posts...just landed in KEYW with the RNAV (GPS) RWY 09 ...man i'm in heaven with this GTN750

OMG...I love doing the LPV approaches, Thanks to all of you, i would of never got it, ifwasn't for these posts...just landed in KEYW with the RNAV (GPS) RWY 09 ...man i'm in heaven with this GTN750

Me too! I seriously have the idea I never had so much fun with flightsimming as I do nowadays! Fun isn't the right word: I never got so much satisfaction out of this hobby as I do now, it seems. That's not only due to the GTN 750 but it plays a major role. The GTN (paired with a great Norwegian site on my iPad with all charts easily accessible) together with the RealAir Legacy gives me the best of both worlds: GA and 'airliner' in one package. At least, it gives me what I like most about GA and airliners without having the need to switch planes. And without the things I do not like about airliners. Add to that the great Orbx FTX Norway scenery (paired with the freeware Airports of Norway), HDE v2 clouds, the awesome atmosphere that P3D can produce, also together with ASN, and the recent changes on my setup (lowered a few settings and started using AM) which give me a rock steady performance everywhere I fly (not 'everywhere' but 'everywhere I fly' which is perfectly fine with me) and well.... I am as happy as can be. I am doing longer flights than ever before too and I am annoying every minute of it! Again, it's not only due to the GTN 750 but it most certainly is the finishing touch, the missing link, that made me as excited as I am now. When I go to work I already look forward to flying in the evening and it's been a long time since I had that excitement.  :wink: Absolutely LOVE the GTN! One of the best add ons ever. Probably THE best (not counting planes and scenery).

BTW, there is a new version of the Garmin GTN Trainer Lite (6.0.1), but it does not yet work with the Flight1 GTN 750/650. I'm sure someone will be around shortly to post how to use the new NAVAID database files, though.

If you download a copy of that latest Trainer, and open up the zip file (without actually installing the trainer!)

you should find the "db" folder and there you can make a copy of the AVTN_WW_DB.bin file.

Flight1 does NOT support this, but if you go to ProgramData\Garmin\GTN Trainer\db, you will find the same file.

Rename it as a backup by adding .off to the file name, and copy the new bin file there..

Bert

If you download a copy of that latest Trainer, and open up the zip file (without actually installing the trainer!)

you should find the "db" folder and there you can make a copy of the AVTN_WW_DB.bin file.

Flight1 does NOT support this, but if you go to ProgramData\Garmin\GTN Trainer\db, you will find the same file.

Rename it as a backup by adding .off to the file name, and copy the new bin file there..

Cheers Bert! 

Dave.