Sign in to follow this  
justindw199

Want to upgrade to P3D...

Hey guys, slight dilemma here. My FSX:SE copy can no longer keep up with any scenery I use at any airport now, crashing with a memory error any time I get close to one.

I would upgrade to P3D, but the upgrade price is ridiculous. I would have to pay $115 to re-buy the NGX for P3D (Which I already own), and then have to re-buy other things like A2A and then P3D v3 itself. The total upgrade price for me is over $400. I am absolutely not willing to spend that much for nothing new except a slightly better performing sim.

My PC isn't the issue with the memory errors, it is extremely powerful custom build PC. Runs even the most taxing games at full graphics and runs 60+ fps.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

Justin Weinberg

Honestly, I switched over to P3D v3 entirely, bit the bullet, and am now spending all my time flying and having fun rather than tweaking, worrying about OOM's, tweaking again, and more tweaking.  It's definitely a huge investment, and I effectively lost probably $2500 of addons that aren't ported, but I'm back to enjoying flightsim again.  I had even taken a year and a half off because I was just utterly tired of the frustration of trying to keep FSX and the older P3Ds from imploding.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but my $0.02.

-stefan strandberg

Not sure about doing the jump or not you talk about other games running at 60fps, but FSX is not one of those games that hav ebeen tailored for a specific use so that would not be a good idea to compare, and I would not expect switching to P3D would give you the same performance either.

As far as I understood P3D is better at memory management, bt it does not mean it can prevent absolutely 100% OOM, it still depends on the aircraft and sceneries, if every scenery and aircraft is correctly optimized it should work if there are tons of addons without such care it will still cause issue. 

Just check you did everything you can with FSX, like using tools to activate/disable sceneries depending on your flights depparture and destination.

After that in the end it is your decision but I just think you should know P3D is better in some aspects but does not make magic it is still 32 bits so OOM can still occur even with P3D v3. If they go 64 bits at some point there it might change thigns, OOM could still happen but the limit would be as high as your system have memory, and not 3GB.

Yeah, I don't mean to imply that it's magic or anything, but from my personal experience, I haven't had to think about it at all and my flights are going exceptionally smoothly.  I tried turning off the AM today and it's actually better without it than it was with any of the settings I tried.  Your system may vary.

-stefan strandberg

Honestly, I would take a deeper look into your performance. I have switched to FSX-SE and things are working great for me.

I had to turn down few things. But if you are still experiencing a lot of OOM's with FSX-SE, I suspect you still come across those issues with P3D v3. Probably little less OOM's.

If you are using a lot of photoscenery, you may want to turn down few things...

Bilal Asif Khan

Don't do it Stefan! :Shame On You:

I upgraded to a i7 6700k and P3D 3.1 on a SSD.

Do you know that feeling when you get a cheat code for your favorite game and then suddenly it's not fun anymore?

No CTD's, no tweaking, no random lockups, no popping graphics, no stuttering ....     all I do now is fly. I'm so lost in my spare time now.

Beware! If you're anything like me, it could ruin everything for you.   

:Tounge:

• Upvote 1

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

Don't do it Stefan! :Shame On You:

I upgraded to a i7 6700k and P3D 3.1 on a SSD.

Do you know that feeling when you get a cheat code for your favorite game and then suddenly it's not fun anymore?

No CTD's, no tweaking, no random lockups, no popping graphics, no stuttering ....     all I do now is fly. I'm so lost in my spare time now.

Beware! If you're anything like me, it could ruin everything for you.   

:Tounge:

:D

Agreed on all fronts.  It's nice to just fly and not stress about the sim crashing out.  I've had so much better luck with P3D v3.1 than I've had with anything else in the last few years.  I'm only on an i7 2600k, although I do have SLI 970's.

-stefan strandberg