Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Airfoillabs Cessna 172

This plane has been out for awhile now and I would like to know some opinions on the current version before purchase.

Thanks,

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

At the moment one of the best if not the best GA plane for x-plane. Only the engine options and checks are still missing.

• Upvote 1

This plane has been out for awhile now and I would like to know some opinions on the current version before purchase.

Thanks,

Hi Paul,

I decided to view a few videos which turned out to be very informative. One point that stood out concerns the plane's negative impact on FPSs which should be of concern to anyone using weaker systems. I went ahead and bought it and went for a short flight. My initial impression is this product is high-end. The latest version now offers three versions: low, medium and high quality graphics which should be a welcomed feature.

Just a quick response before going to bed!

JJ

Hi Jean-Jacques,

We both share a not so common first name, but we are both so unique, isn't it?  :wink:

How would you rate it versus the A2A 172 if by any chance you have it?

Jean-Jacques

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

I have it and i find it ultra realistic. I'm a physics/feel fanatic and having about 100h on the real 172, the AirFoil representation does the ultimate job. It has superb audio as well. Good thing it runs under Xp10. I have the A2A Cherokee too, but IMO it's stumbled by the FSX sluggish physics engine, so it doesn't bring me the amount of joy when flying that i'm used to.

• Upvote 3

Thanks leghorn.  I finally may be buying this one.

Jean-Jacques

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

I am probably going to purchase, but wish it had a pilot visible from the outside view and rain effects in the VC.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

I fully agree with the positive comments here - the Airfoillabs C172 is excellent. Definetly one of the best GA aircraft available for XP10, and IMO on a level with the A2A one for FSX/P3D.

It does have some weaknesses - for one, it's rather performance hungry, although it has been improved in that regard. On my system, it performs about the same as some airliner addons (such as the FF 757 and 767) which means it's quite perfectly flyable. Unless you're already struggling with performance with the default XP10 aircraft it should not be a concern.

Also, there are very few liveries available, as there is no paint kit (yet). However, those are about the only negative points, otherwise the C172 is excellent and personally I enjoy flying it a lot more than the A2A one. Highly recommended!

• Upvote 1

I bought the Carenado 172II which is very nice.  No avionics, just steam gauges.  I don't know how they compare as I didn't want to buy the A2A to compare.  Perhaps there are comparisons on the net somewhere.  The Carenado is a very nice aircraft as you'd come to expect from their reputation.

just visually speaking, the airfoillabs is on another planet compared to the carenado. Which is mainly due to the age of the product. As far as reaism goes the carrenado is more a casual plane and not comparable to the Airfoillabs. Its fun to fly but nothing special. the order is  stock 172 < carrenado < airfoillabs

• Upvote 3

I dont have the Carenado 172. I think its the only Carenado plane, I dont have. I do have the airfoil labs version and it is a very nice flying plane.

However, I disagree thats its visually better looking. its not bad, but I was a little disaponted in it. Maybe its the lack of a 3d pilot and paint kit, thats turning me off from it. honestly think Carenados stuff looks better inside and out, but The airfoilabs plane has a very nice fght model to it and the camera system is really amazing. I bought this plane a long time ago and not much on updates or anything for it. I dont really fly it much anymore.

Rob

New version coming with new features :smile: 

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Wow, the new version looks great!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

I'm happy they're still releasing updates to this. I thought they'd stop after they announced their next product

• Upvote 2