Sign in to follow this  
audigex

Is it just me, or is the aircraft uncontrollable on one engine?

If I put a failure on one engine, I flat out cannot get this aircraft to stay in the air... is this something I'm doing wrong, specifically?

I can be at 100 knots, completely trimmed straight and level, and within a couple of minutes I'm stalling out despite making no attempt to climb whatsoever. The aircraft just decelerates and turns into the damaged engine, and then as soon as I add any rudder/aileron to counteract that, the additional drag stalls me out entirely

This is P3D, in case that makes any difference

How heavy are you? What are the temps outside? How high are you? It is not uncommon for a twin engine to get you to the scene of the crash with only one engine operating.  A twin engine GA aircraft operating on single engine power will not have the performance you might expect. The Diamond website puts it's maximum single engine ceiling at 6400 ft.  Not very high. With an engine out, fly at VYSE and never get close to VMCA. Keep your control inputs minimal and think way ahead. 

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

What he said above but also - good engine to 99 power until you stablize the situation.

Don't attempt a climb of more than 200 FPM

Really, really watch your Vmca and aim to stay JUST above it by gradually reducing power as you bring her down.

You will need to work the controls aggressively.

You should have already nailed the field/ highway/ or, if lucky runway you intend to land on.

As you get just above flare your speed should be just on the Stall. You'll find you can straighten the aircraft to spread the jolt fairly equally across the gear.

It takes a lot of practice but I spent a few hours yesterday doing just this.

As a primer try a typical climb out to 3000' Then set 50 percent power and then just power down one engine by 10 percent and learn to fly asymmetrically. As you improve take the power down on one engine more and more until you're ready to simulate complete engine out.

As with most twins the left engine is the critical engine and will be the more catastrophic in the event of failure so start with  the right.

It is possible to fly with engine out in the DA42 but very far from pleasant - as in real world.

If you're simulating engine loss at cruise things are a lot easier. There are some good guides out there teaching simple things like: Dead Foot=Dead Engine. 5 Degrees bank angle towards good engine, etc

When I started doing Engine Out Ops in the DA42 I too, thought it totally uncontrollable but with practice I can now simulate it without burying the aircraft twenty feet into the ground each time!