Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Helton

Autoland?

I'm having an honest mystery with autoland.  When I follow the autoland landing checklist in the house pmdg NGX, I get an autoland every single time.  When I follow the same checklist on any livery add-on, I get the NO AUTOLAND message at decision height followed by A/T and AP disconnected at around 500 feet.  I've compared and contrasted the livery aircraft settings in the Operations Center with the default pmdg ngx and made sure they are identical.  This did not fix the issue.  I made sure to run the same landings several times in both house and Southwest liveries (KBNA RWY 20R) to make sure it wasn't a procedural issue, but the results are always the same.  On the HGS, it's always the same message at decision height: House PMDG = LAND3; Add-On Livery = NO AUTOLAND.

I'm at a loss as to the cause.  Yes, fail operational is set to on.  If it's not an aircraft settings issue, and its not a checklist issue, then what's left??

Which livery add-on? Try without loading a pre-saved panel, maybe it's a panel problem.

Only one add-on livery or all of them have this problem?

Dan Downs KCRP

Now I am confused. You imply this happens with all liveries but all liveries use the same panel state?  It doesn't happen with the house livery, is this also the same panel state or is the aircraft loaded default state with engines running?

You haven't ruled out a bad panel state file.

Be assured that your problem is not common, most common reason for autoland failure is pilot error which you have made the case is not the reason.

Dan Downs KCRP

All liveries are loaded with a cold and dark panel state.  Autoland only works for the house pmdg.  Aircraft settings for each livery are identical to house pmdg.  Same checklist followed every time.  Results are 100% consistent. 

What is the date modified on your cold and dark panel state?

Maybe four months ago.

It sounds like you are dealing with a fairly current panel state. Several years ago some of the panel states were corrupted but that cleaned up within several months.

Since I have not resolved my issue, I thought it might be useful to share my autoland checklist so that we can rule out pilot error.  Although it did not seem to matter when I was able to land3 the house pmdg, I do slightly vary from the flow.  I do not usually set the ALT to zero and the DH to 100, since ALT hold is disengaged once autoland takes over.  I usually set my DH form baro to 50 feet radio, even though that's not on the checklist.  I've also found that intercepting the localizer above glide slope does not have to be done with the VOR/LOC button and can be done directly with the APR button.  As long as you are above glideslope when you capture the localizer and the g/s eventually turns from white to green before engaging the second autopilot, you should get land3 at 1500 radio.  However, this only works for me on the house pmdg.  I always ride down the glideslope on single channel and get "no autoland" at decision height.  I hand fly the last few seconds of the approach. This would make sense if only one of the nav radios were tuned, but not when they both are tuned to the ILS frequency.

http://carsten-rau.com/diverses/ivao/Checklist-737-PMDG-737NGX.pdf

I've also found that intercepting the localizer above glide slope does not have to be done with the VOR/LOC button and can be done directly with the APR button

Hi,

You mean below the glideslope don't you? Because if you establish on the localizer above the glideslope, chances are that the aircraft may never catch the glide and as you set the altitude to 0, then the AP would remain in VOR/LOC and VNAV PTH and would never transition to G/S.

You will usually want to be established on the localizer below the glideslope. The choice between VOR/LOC first then APP or directly APP for me is quite simple.

If you have only the signal of the localizer and not yet the glideslope indicator, then you intercept with VOR/LOC only then once you receive the G/S, you press APP if you are under the glide.

If you receive both signals and you are under the glide, then you can press directly APP.

If you are above the glide when intercepting the localizer, then you are not in a very good situation, and you may anticipate a missed approach as it may not be possible to slow down and descent fast enough with the NGX to be stable in landing config soon enough...

however you may still try to catch the G/S using another mode like V/S but in this case you would not set you altitude to zero or you may end up with a crash on the ground.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Yes, thanks for pointing out that typo. Obviously you can't catch the glide slope above it. Still doesn't explain the single channel issue though.

Jimmy,

It may be the model, but it's my understanding that SWA doesn't do Autoland, it is all HUD.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

What about Delta, United, American, and Alaska. No luck there either.

I'm willing to bet that you're not following the proper procedure to get everything set up in time. Fly Tutorial #1 with a SWA livery instead and report back.

Kyle Rodgers

Sorry, same result.  My landing checklist is posted above for your reference.  It's almost like the liveries are stuck in fail passive.