Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Helton

Autoland?

Sorry, same result.  My landing checklist is posted above for your reference.  It's almost like the liveries are stuck in fail passive.

Hi,

I don't think it is a matter of fail passive or fail operational. In both case if I'm not wrong the NG is capable of autoland.

The difference is that in the case of fail op, "land 3" is displayed while "land 2" is displayed for a fail passive system and that in case of a failure, the fail op will be able to perform the autoland while for a fail passive the pilot will have to take over control.

But if there is no failure, both system will perform the autoland equally.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Sorry, same result.  My landing checklist is posted above for your reference.  It's almost like the liveries are stuck in fail passive.

That's exactly my point: you're using a third party checklist. Run the tutorial, using our workflow. Don't try to alter anything other than changing the plane. The aircraft (both ours and the real one) will not let you do something if it's not configured correctly.

Example:

The checklist you sourced says to add fuel at 20% N2, which isn't correct. It's 25%, unless max motoring is 20%. I can imagine there are other slight errors that are off just enough to cause issues.

Kyle Rodgers

Eureka! Finally! I did some further study into the documentation provided by PMDG.  I'm not sure which one of these changes was the culprit but I was failing to do the following on my landing checklist: continuous ignition set (both engines), isolation valve off, engine bleed air valve off (both engines), apu bleed air valve on, and baro decision height set at 500. 

They say that results are only good if they are repeatable.  Sadly, I just did redid the same landing three more times to make sure and no land3.  I will keep trying.

How do I get my hands on the actual Boeing checklist?

There's one in the manuals, but the tutorial outlines the flow pretty well (in Tutorial #1).

They say that results are only good if they are repeatable.  Sadly, I just did redid the same landing three more times to make sure and no land3.  I will keep trying.

Seems to me that this points to just not having the procedure down - keep at it and it'll settle in.

Kyle Rodgers

The issue is on the Operations Center. Execute it as administrator, and make the configuration changes on the liveries, then save it.

If you do not execute as administrator FSX recognizes the liveries as that is FAIL PASSIVE and you won´t have LAND3 while FSX recognizes the house liverie as FAIL OPERATIONAL.

You have this in your checklist:

Decision Height (Ovhd Panel) Set 100 (ft)

On the Overhead panel? Don't you set it wit the knob next to the baro knob?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/iDU7UeL6LhM/maxresdefault.jpg

The one on the top right which says "STD".

And reagrding your height in the MCP: After capturing the glideslope you want to set the height to the go around height which can be found in the approach charts.

Also the DH will be set most likely to 200 ft Radio, you can also find this in the approach chart.

Just my 2 cents.

I have the 737 for one week now and have no problems, autoland works with every single livery.

When I started with the 777 I had your problem if I was above the glideslope and the plane didn't capture it. Try to be lower than the final altitude some miles before the intercept point. Just to be sure.

Oh, and the second autopilot must be activated at a certain height.

Found this in another thread:

"If my memory doesn't fail, the 737 FCOM states the second autopilot must be engaged at least 1500ft AGL or it can't be engaged, for autoland, ILS freq. on both NAV radios,and course set in both CRS, just if you forget...the aircraft must be set for landing and the "before landing checklist" read before 1000ft AGL."

Hi,

You mean below the glideslope don't you? Because if you establish on the localizer above the glideslope, chances are that the aircraft may never catch the glide and as you set the altitude to 0, then the AP would remain in VOR/LOC and VNAV PTH and would never transition to G/S.

You will usually want to be established on the localizer below the glideslope. The choice between VOR/LOC first then APP or directly APP for me is quite simple.

If you have only the signal of the localizer and not yet the glideslope indicator, then you intercept with VOR/LOC only then once you receive the G/S, you press APP if you are under the glide.

If you receive both signals and you are under the glide, then you can press directly APP.

If you are above the glide when intercepting the localizer, then you are not in a very good situation, and you may anticipate a missed approach as it may not be possible to slow down and descent fast enough with the NGX to be stable in landing config soon enough...

however you may still try to catch the G/S using another mode like V/S but in this case you would not set you altitude to zero or you may end up with a crash on the ground.

Yes, thanks for pointing out that typo. Obviously you can't catch the glide slope above it. Still doesn't explain the single channel issue though.

You can catch the G/S from above or below and you don't have to wait to arm APP.

You can use whatever mode you want to get to the G/S, just make sure you have something to catch you, like the next stepdown, in the MCP.

RW, you only need to have the FREQs and CRSs set, arm the APP mode and then arm the second A/P.

Don't wait to 1500', don't worry about bleeds or the reading light in 15D.

Everything else is something wrong with your sim/computer.

• Upvote 1

Matt Cee

Glad to have a Pro confirming what needs to be done. Look no further