Sign in to follow this  
amoraitis

Which NG?

Just to clarify my previous post every mention of PMDG refers to the original FS2004 product, I just re-read it and I didn't quite clarify that. :smile:

Cheers,

Achilleas

Hi Achilleas,

To be honest, I have never looked around the exterior of the iFly, PMDG or any other airplane I have other than panning around when I first load the sim to pre load the video buffer. I am always amazed to read when people find small glitches in brake line graphics etc of a model I have had for ages and I have never noticed...

However, on to something I can talk about - speed.

Most modern jets including the 737 don't like to go down and slow down at the same time. Descent at idle power modes in VNAV or LVL CHG are done at selected speed. Anything steeper requires either speedbrake or a speed increase to a higher selected speed. You do this in the FMS for VNAV or the speed window for LVL CHG.

If a gentler descent is required, selecting a lower V/S will change the autopilot mode out of VNAV or LVL CHG and it will (try to) fly the airplane at the selected ROD and the selected speed in the speed window.

To get the best rate of descent at any speed use LVL CHG and Speedbrake, remembering that VNAV will follow the planned path at the expense of speed, thus planned is the optimum word there, so if your environment changes ie tailwind, reach for the speedbrake as the FMS will display the drag required message.

The 737 is a great glider!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for the "inside"/RL info there! I suspected this was probably the case, the A320s I've tried in the sim as well as the A320s I've been on as a passenger behave pretty much the same, I guess we've reached a point in designing planes that we've managed to make them so aerodynamic that they need some very cautious calculations to get them down! Thanks again for helping me with my NG dilemma! :smile:

Cheers,

Achilleas

I had to look at some youtube videos to fresh up my memory of why I deleted my IFly in favor for the PMDG 737.  

Pmdg has sharper & more real looking VC. Better work on the PFD, ND, EICAS, HGS, overhead panel...lets just say it's better overall looking IMHO.

But the most important thing is that PMDG has a hot-line to Boeing engineers, they did the 737 & 777 with the help from Boeing themselves. They have a very good relationship with Boeing.

If you want "as real as it gets" PMDG is the choice. :wink:

I found the opposite to be true. As in the case of a real pilot

Think  you will find that  the person you quoted  is  a rw  ng  pilot  and  think he  would  know 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hi everyone!

While I understand that everyone has their favourite addon maker in this hobby let's try not to turn this thread into a "mine is better than yours" thread. I have great respect for the folks at PMDG, they've given me thousands of hours of fun in their 737 (the original FS2002/2004 product) but in this case I find that the iFly package is realistic enough to keep me occupied for the foreseeable future and I still have some money left to purchase Heraklion X or some other addon, especially seeing that I'm mostly flying the -700 which would mean that I'd end up paying significantly more for the PMDG for features I don't need. This hobby of ours, flight simulation, it's unlike any other. We have fun and relax by making ourselves "work". :wink: It's perfectly normal after the many hours we spend in our "cockpits" that we become obsessed with particular products. That does not, however, mean that what someone else might be using is bad. Let's do what we know how to do best in this community, respect each other, praise the others' virtues and help them overcome their shortcomings. :smile:

Speech over! :smile:

Cheers,

Achilleas