Building a new pc and thinking about getting a new monitor to go with it.

The pc is an i6600k,gtx970 combo.

I'm considering either a 29" 1560x1080 or a 27" 1560x1440.

Thoughts on the 2k vs ultrawide?

I just got the ROG Swift 2560x1440p for gaming and I love it....overkill if youre just using it for the Sim though.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Ultrawide opens up the lateral view. I have aa Dell U3415W. At 3440 x 1440 the pixels will not be as obvious as with 1080p. Also, there is less need for AA given the higher pixel density.

I'm looking at more budget oriented stuff but in the $300 neighborhood I could go with either of the ones I listed.  I'm just not sure which would be a better option for simming.  Aside from sim I do a lot of photography and lightroom work as well.  

I am not a monotor expert. However for viewing quality and assistance in reducing aliasing, I would suggest the more pixels, the better. I see you're looking at 3 bills. A quick check showed a number of 2560 x 1440 monitors out there that max out atmabout 400. I would think that the larger the monitor, the larger the pixels must be at lower resolutions. Good luck.

I am not a monotor expert. However for viewing quality and assistance in reducing aliasing, I would suggest the more pixels, the better. I see you're looking at 3 bills. A quick check showed a number of 2560 x 1440 monitors out there that max out atmabout 400. I would think that the larger the monitor, the larger the pixels must be at lower resolutions. Good luck.

So if I read this correctly, your recommendation would be a 27" 2560x1440 over the 29" 2560x1080?  

carguy,

I am by no means an expert. However, the smaller, but higher resolution monitor will give you ~3.7 million pixels as opposed to ~2.8 million with the larger monitor. That will necessitate using larger pixels. Not only will you see less real estate, but the picture will be coarser. That will show up particularly when viewing text. More pixels also mesns less reliance on AA.

Those with better minds than mine may wish to comment to further clarify.

Any additional input would be great.  What would folks buy if they had about $300 give or take a very little??   

As I mentioned, right now I have a 24 and a 21 inch.

This is a good tool for comparing monitor resolutions. Check what resolution (dpi or dot pitch) you have now and see how the proposed monitor compares. (For example, if you enter the specs for a 1080p 42" TV it shows you will get 52dpi, which is why it looks rubbish close up.)

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

You want larger and bit more grainy or smaller and very sharp? That's what you'll get. Only you can choose what is more important to you.

I would pick the 29", I have a 37" 1080p now and size is too important to me.

Any additional input would be great.  What would folks buy if they had about $300 give or take a very little??   

As I mentioned, right now I have a 24 and a 21 inch.

I would check out Amazon and Newegg. They each have monitors in your price range. For reviews, you might have a look at Anandtech, PCMag and Tom's Hardware. The reviews on the retail sites are IMHO, rather subjective.

If you can go a bit higher on budget, you can pick up a 43" 4K monitor for around $500.  I replaced two 24" monitors with one 43" monitor and very happy with the new set up.  Totally changes the immersion factor for flight simulator and also works great for day to day stuff.

Unfortunately I wouldn't have room on my desk for something that large as my desk has a hutch over the top.   32" would be about the max I could fit.  I'm not sure I'd want a 43" that close to my face, or that my new PC would be up to the task of running 4K.   

Ya, it took me a couple weeks to get used to having a huge monitor so close to my face.  Sort of like sitting in the front row at a movie, but I've gotten used to it.

I have an old i5-2500K and GTX 970, works great at 4K.

Ya, it took me a couple weeks to get used to having a huge monitor so close to my face.  Sort of like sitting in the front row at a movie, but I've gotten used to it.

I have an old i5-2500K and GTX 970, works great at 4K.

Something to think about then.....