My 2600 is the non-k version, thus no overclocking. Actually, this was by purpose, I use the machine for real work, too (actually 95% of the time), which I don't want to compromize.

Honestly, I've never overclocked any of the machines I owned, which paid back by stability but as you write comes at the cost of a considerable percentage of less fps, which I agree to.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I've got my 6700K @ 4.7 never goes above 65C. Runs P3D like a dream. 

What is your voltage?

Not worth it.

Too much money for not enough benefit; hold off another 6-12 months. You can spend the same amount of money and get a bigger performance increase.

For reference, I went from a 4670K @ 4.4 GHz to a 6700K @ 4.7GHz and I was certainly not very impressed by the performance increase.

I only noticed a real difference when I upgraded my GTX 780 to a 980Ti (although I run P3D @ 4K)

Cheers

• Upvote 1

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

What is your voltage?

Manual 1.380 and when I monitor it during realbench it goes to about 1408 max. Skylake takes more vcore then the others as long as you're under 1.5 you'll be fine.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Michael, if you're happy with your hardware (and you should be, as that's a decent rig) you should be able the overclock the 2600K fairly easily to 4.5 without too much of an investment in a decent aftermarket cooler.

There are some building autogen optimizations hinted at in the next P3D update...if those are anywhere near as effective as the vegetation optimizations, we're looking at a not-insignificant boost right in the platform.

Honestly, I've never overclocked any of the machines I owned, which paid back by stability

I've been running moderate overclocks to all of my cpu's for almost 15 years and have never had stability issues. 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I hear you guys... maybe one day I'll give it a try (preferably ask the guy in the shop to do it). But as I said, my present processor is non-k, thus no overclocking.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

If the CPU helps you to achieve those milestones FPS numbers then it is worth it. If you are just paying money to boost FPS by 25% - it is not. The sliders in the simulator settings may not always be able to give you the necessary boost. Sometimes you do have to go down the new hardware route.

Hmm yes that's exactly what I'm trying to find out. But I have no comparison to go by. Or at least not until Gordon's input above. Thanks for that Gordon. The 4670k is as close as it gets to a 4770k I guess and it seems quite certain now that I should not upgrade to the 6700k.

However the evil GAS syndrome has set in and I'm very tempted :(.

On a side note I already run a 970gtx so I won't be considering a GPU upgrade. Besides I feel that when it comes to P3D the GPU only matters when AA is concerned more or less. Does not really impact how much to the right you can set the "main" sliders and have smooth performance.

Hmm yes that's exactly what I'm trying to find out. But I have no comparison to go by. Or at least not until Gordon's input above. Thanks for that Gordon. The 4670k is as close as it gets to a 4770k I guess and it seems quite certain now that I should not upgrade to the 6700k.

However the evil GAS syndrome has set in and I'm very tempted :sad:.

On a side note I already run a 970gtx so I won't be considering a GPU upgrade. Besides I feel that when it comes to P3D the GPU only matters when AA is concerned more or less. Does not really impact how much to the right you can set the "main" sliders and have smooth performance.

I know that syndrome really well it really gets in to your thinking doesn't in. Cold bucket time! I actually don't think you would even get a 25% gain. At a guess somewhere up to 20%. You not only have to overclock the i6700k on a water cooler but also upgrade and overclock the ram too. Are you trying to future proof or something? If you are already on 4.2GHz now on a chip that is 2013 vintage, I would save yourself the pain and wait to see how the simulator world evolves.

@Niyoko

Unfortunately my problem lies with the CPU itself. It's a lousy quality job from a certain SEA country. I have a solid custom water cooling setup but without delidding the cpu there's no difference. I don't want to delid as its troublesome and will void the warranty

Ah, I see. It does then look like there is a hardware issue that is affecting you. I also can't blame you for wanting to stay far away from de-lidding the CPU. I've never done it. I know that I'll break something. In my case I recently upgraded from an AMD FX8320@4.6GHz and settled on the 4790K that I mentioned in my last post due to it having better heat transfer and power management.

It might just be time to upgrade not just for more FPS in Prepar3D, but because it looks like you got a badly binned CPU.

make sure you consider siliconlottery.com where they will provide a CPU that has been selected and tested for high Ghz and also will delid it.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

I know that syndrome really well it really gets in to your thinking doesn't in. Cold bucket time! I actually don't think you would even get a 25% gain. At a guess somewhere up to 20%. You not only have to overclock the i6700k on a water cooler but also upgrade and overclock the ram too. Are you trying to future proof or something? If you are already on 4.2GHz now on a chip that is 2013 vintage, I would save yourself the pain and wait to see how the simulator world evolves.

Yes I probably should wait another year. At the same time I'm also considering the value of my current setup. It might be better to sell/trade now than a year later.

Ah, I see. It does then look like there is a hardware issue that is affecting you. I also can't blame you for wanting to stay far away from de-lidding the CPU. I've never done it. I know that I'll break something. In my case I recently upgraded from an AMD FX8320@4.6GHz and settled on the 4790K that I mentioned in my last post due to it having better heat transfer and power management.

It might just be time to upgrade not just for more FPS in Prepar3D, but because it looks like you got a badly binned CPU.

That's the main problem with my current chip. It hasn't been much of an issue in other games and apps since 4.2ghz is more than enough, but something to consider in P3D solely because how clocks are the main factor. I have an AM of 252 and no problems with scenery loading, it's only the main core that is holding everything else down.

make sure you consider siliconlottery.com where they will provide a CPU that has been selected and tested for high Ghz and also will delid it.

I just took a look at the website, unfortunately although they do ship to my country the warranty is US based so if there is a need for warranty I'd have to ship it back to them. Not sure if its worth the hassle especially considering that I'd be over clocking the chip.

If your having heat issues that is limiting your overclocking, why not buy a new cooler which you should 99.9% be able to use down the road when you do upgrade.  Should be able to get another 300-400mhz from your existing chip.

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

If your having heat issues that is limiting your overclocking, why not buy a new cooler which you should 99.9% be able to use down the road when you do upgrade.  Should be able to get another 300-400mhz from your existing chip.

Thanks for the input Charlatan but as I have mentioned in a previous post the problem lies with the CPU and not the cooling. Also I do not want to delid it for warranty issues.

The upgrade would cost me somewhere between 300-400 USD

IMO, it ain't much of an upgrade. FSX, and especially P3D are benefitting far more from GPU upgrades than new CPUs. Intel is focusing more on integrated graphics and power saving features of their new chips instead of the types of things that benefit a 10 year old program like FSX (and P3D since most of the underlying code is original). 

Don't do it.